Good Locations for an Airbnb in Central California

Good Locations for an Airbnb in Central California

New to Real Estate · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2023 · 12 posts · 10 votes

Hi all! I'm researching STR options for my first investment, and I'm wondering what areas of California are prosperous for Airbnbs. I live in San Francisco and would prefer to manage it myself. 

A couple of options I can think of are Yosemite, North Lake Tahoe, and Napa Valley. 

Anyone out there invest in STR in California around the Bay Area and have success? Thanks, everyone!

1Reply
37 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Santa Clara, CA · Member since 2016 · 219 posts · 112 votes
2y
Quote from @Vikranth Biradar:
Quote from @Raju Balakrishnan:

I had success with STRs in San Jose some years back, but later stopped due to time constraints. I think best way to go is choose some areas of interest and verify STR restrictions. Then you may subscribe to AirDNA to understand the market data to see if it meets your expectations.


 Yes, I was looking to subscribe to AirDNA. Any idea how accurate their website is? 


 Not really easy to verify how accurate the data is. They do some predictions to distinguish between actual occupancies vs host blocking calendar etc. Hence I expect it to be inexact. But still  the best data available publicly. If we combine AirDNA data with eyeballing  airbnb/VRBO listings and occupancies in the area we should be able to get an idea.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Modesto, CA · Member since 2023 · 192 posts · 77 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Vikranth Biradar:

    Hi all! I'm researching STR options for my first investment, and I'm wondering what areas of California are prosperous for Airbnbs. I live in San Francisco and would prefer to manage it myself. 

    A couple of options I can think of are Yosemite, North Lake Tahoe, and Napa Valley. 

    Anyone out there invest in STR in California around the Bay Area and have success? Thanks, everyone!


    You've got to really, really, really understand the zoning for each county and mind the fire insurance hazard premiums. Today it might cost $6,000 to have fire insurance; next year? maybe $12,000 - hard to create a business model with that volatility. 

    Modesto is showing an increasing demand for STR. Investors I work with from the Bay Area have a large appetite for MTR as our supports it. Happy to elaborate, please text so that we can schedule some time for a discussion.

  • Rental Property Investor · Santa Clara, CA · Member since 2016 · 219 posts · 112 votes
    2y

    I had success with STRs in San Jose some years back, but later stopped due to time constraints. I think best way to go is choose some areas of interest and verify STR restrictions. Then you may subscribe to AirDNA to understand the market data to see if it meets your expectations.

  • New to Real Estate · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2023 · 12 posts · 10 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Raju Balakrishnan:

    I had success with STRs in San Jose some years back, but later stopped due to time constraints. I think best way to go is choose some areas of interest and verify STR restrictions. Then you may subscribe to AirDNA to understand the market data to see if it meets your expectations.


     Yes, I was looking to subscribe to AirDNA. Any idea how accurate their website is? 

  • Rental Property Investor · Santa Clara, CA · Member since 2016 · 219 posts · 112 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Vikranth Biradar:
    Quote from @Raju Balakrishnan:

    I had success with STRs in San Jose some years back, but later stopped due to time constraints. I think best way to go is choose some areas of interest and verify STR restrictions. Then you may subscribe to AirDNA to understand the market data to see if it meets your expectations.


     Yes, I was looking to subscribe to AirDNA. Any idea how accurate their website is? 


     Not really easy to verify how accurate the data is. They do some predictions to distinguish between actual occupancies vs host blocking calendar etc. Hence I expect it to be inexact. But still  the best data available publicly. If we combine AirDNA data with eyeballing  airbnb/VRBO listings and occupancies in the area we should be able to get an idea.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.