Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Shannon Green
Votes |
Best way to finance my first investment/short term rental

Shannon Green
Posted Jan 2 2021, 19:39

This will be my first investment property. It will be a short term rental property. When it comes to financing, is it best to finance this first deal as a second home/vacation home? Only 10% down payment necessary. Or, should I be in financing another way? Any advice is appreciated. I am a newbie! 

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Chisum
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • All 50 States
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • All 50 States
Replied Jan 29 2022, 05:30

Hey David.  Happy to help!  Yes the fact that the historic or estimated income can not be used can be limiting for some.  If you can get that first one under your belt you can use the income after a year then move on to do another.  Fannie and Freddie allow one individual to have ten mortgages in their name.  
A DSCR loan doesn't look at individual income. 90% of the approval is based on historic or market data that shows the property will perform at a 1:1 ratio. PITI vs Gross Rent. 20% down on that loan.

User Stats

Votes
AJ Wong
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Oregon & California Coasts
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Dec 12 2023, 16:30
Quote from @Shannon Green:

This will be my first investment property. It will be a short term rental property. When it comes to financing, is it best to finance this first deal as a second home/vacation home? Only 10% down payment necessary. Or, should I be in financing another way? Any advice is appreciated. I am a newbie! 

Since this original post, many lenders have expanded underwriting. There are specific HIGH LTV products that allow STR income to qualify. Have several real estate and mortgage clients re-leveraging to expand their STR or general RE portfolios. We've used several 10% down programs for higher end purchases this year.

Fathom Realty  Logo
Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Holl
  • Investor
  • Minneapolis
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Minneapolis
Replied Dec 12 2023, 17:28

For anyone struggling to get financed, I have a friend who runs a company called unbankable and it might be a good fall back for you.  Happy to introduce you if interested.

User Stats

Votes
Wesley Myers
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Inlet Beach, FL
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Inlet Beach, FL
Replied Dec 12 2023, 20:44

What interest rate is everyone seeing with a 2nd home mortgage and 10% down these days?

User Stats

Votes
AJ Wong
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Dec 13 2023, 06:59
Quote from @Wesley Myers:

What interest rate is everyone seeing with a 2nd home mortgage and 10% down these days?

Depending on income and loan type, likely mid 7%'s..we've been utilizing some more creative durations as well, 30 & 40 year I/O. On the other end, 15-20 terms (not with 10% down) can see a 5% handle...

Fathom Realty  Logo