Vendor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2015 · 1 post · 1 vote
I finally have my first short term rental property in Puerto Rico and have been extremely busy with improvements and setting it up for rental. Since it is ocean front I have been getting a lot of inquiries about the property but did not want to put it in the market until everything was acceptable to me. Now I have the property ready and exhausted and need a good short term rental contract. Any suggestions on where I can find a good sample contract? I would appreciate any comments, suggestions, links!
Investor · San Juan, Puerto Rico · Member since 2008 · 132 posts · 27 votes
7y
Adding to what @Paul Sandhusaid, make sure to include a security deposit. Also, male sure to check the prospective tenant's employment history, ask tenant for previous landlord (if available) and talk to him/her. You always want to make sure that your tenant is able to pay and not going to skip out on you. Hope this helps,
Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
7y
KISA. Keep It Simple Ariadne. It should be short enough that you could write the contract on a dinner napkin. I'll give it a stab...
Short Term Rental Agreement
This agreement between ______ (Landlord) and ______(Tenant) dated ______ hereby agree to rent a furnished property at XYZ address for a sum of ABC dollars for a term of LMN days. Tenant shall maintain property in good condition. Upon expiration of lease term, tenant has option to renew lease. Landlord shall not be responsible for accidents or injuries.
Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
7y
How are you marketing your property? If you list on Vrbo you can have the house rules attached and renters electronically accept and agree to your rules. Booking on the site is an contract to book in itself. Airbnb is similar as far as booking is the contract, but they are less user friendly with house rules. You have a few spaces to list some rules on the site.
I only use a standalone contract for direct bookings.
Investor · San Juan, Puerto Rico · Member since 2008 · 132 posts · 27 votes
7y
Adding to what @Paul Sandhusaid, make sure to include a security deposit. Also, male sure to check the prospective tenant's employment history, ask tenant for previous landlord (if available) and talk to him/her. You always want to make sure that your tenant is able to pay and not going to skip out on you. Hope this helps,
Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
7y
I did a written agreement with the first 2 short term rentals that I had. Since then, I've had at least 1400 people rent from me in the last 6 years. There was no written agreement. Just a verbal agreement, then we spit on our hands and make a handshake. That's how things are done in this town. It's the modern day equivalent of the wild west. I've had tenants with rattlesnakes, drug overdoses, moonshine, a fatality, burglary, intruders, prostitution, infidelity between tenants, and a host of other things that would make your head spin. There is always a piece within my reach.
Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
7y
So I am going to go the opposite way than @Paul Sandhu says. I build up a tough agreement that is 7 pages long. It covers everything and leaves nothing out. When people book through Verbo, they agree to it. I have had 2 guests read it through.
@Paul Sandhu rents to a very specific clientele so I think he can get away with a less complex agreement.
As a vacation rental, I was worried about squatters, obnoxious party's, and litigious people. So I went and gathered up a bunch of different agreements and combined them all into a usable agreement.