Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions

User Stats

Votes
William Brock
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Thoughts on Canyon Lake, TX

William Brock
  • Austin, TX
Posted Aug 28 2018, 09:47

I recently posed this same question regarding Lake LBJ & Lago Vista, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with STRs in Canyon Lake, TX? I only have long term rentals and am looking at investing in a lake house to use myself a couple times a year, but to rent the rest of the time. So my questions are:

• What are the annual occupancy rates? Good or bad relative to other nearby
  • What means to you use to come up with your nightly rates?
  • Anyone using Evolve Vacation Rental management or other companies? TurnKey? Vacasa?
  • What's your ROI? This number seems to be somewhat tricky to nail down.
  • Are there better or worse areas to invest or watch out for, for whatever reason?
  • Any tips or tricks?

Thanks for any and all advice and have a great week!

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Noell
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Aug 11 2020, 08:51

@William Brock, thank you for the update! Looks like you are close to the water with some nice views! I'm glad to hear it is working out for you so far. 61% occupancy is more than I thought for this area, so I'm pleasantly surprised. I am excited to get into the STR space hopefully in CL after having only long term rentals for the past 8 years. I am saving as much as I can for now and hope nothing catastrophic throws my plans into jeopardy. This year has been a roller coaster and not a lot of signs point to a different second half...

User Stats

Votes
William Brock
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied Aug 11 2020, 09:23

Well best of luck and keep us posted on how it all shakes out :)

Hospitable logo
Hospitable
|
Sponsored
Put Your Vacation Rental on Autopilot! Manage your STRs with ease and save time on hosting.

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Noell
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Aug 11 2020, 09:31

Thanks!  Hope to have some good news in a few months.

User Stats

Votes
Jon Derickson
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied Aug 14 2020, 06:22

@Michael Smith I'm considering STR's near central Texas lakes and considering Canyon lake & McQueeney. I have heard speculation of McQueeney getting drained in the near future due to safety issues with the dams. Do you have any information about this? If they are drained, will the dams be repaired and the lake reopened? Thanks

User Stats

Votes
Maggie D.
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Aug 31 2020, 13:20

@William Brock & @Kevin Noell i'm interested too! 

William thanks so much for sharing. Curious to hear how your STR in Canyon Lake is doing. I'm looking at a few neighborhoods in Hill Country and am having a hard time deciding which one to move forward with.

User Stats

Votes
Maggie D.
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Aug 31 2020, 13:23

@William Brock whoops just realized you gave an update above. Thank you so much!! That is incredibly helpful. Maybe we'll be neighbors soon. :) 

User Stats

Votes
William Brock
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied Sep 29 2020, 11:27

Glad to help @Maggie D., best of luck as well!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 20 2021, 16:40

@William Brock

Thanks for all the info. I’m under a contract for a property out in Canyon Lake, mind if I shoot you a message to ask some questions?

User Stats

Votes
Replied Dec 1 2021, 12:46
Hi William, 
I'm interested to hear on any updates you may have. 

Originally posted by @William Brock:

So, looking at my airbnb numbers, (which is the only online service I use for the time being), I was booked 61% for 2019. I have talked to others in the area and it really is hit or miss, but good management and a professional listing really seems to make the difference. That being said, I seem to be doing better than most.

I had a couple large ticket items to fix last year that really ate into my profits, but I still ended up positive and with a great retreat from the city that pays for itself. This year our rents are higher than last year and we're booking like crazy, probably going to be closer to 70% occupancy, all due to 130+ reviews and sitting at 4.89/5 rating and a SuperHost badge (those things matter) as of 2 months ago, I have even more ratings now. But, I am expecting a much better year than last if I can keep the maintenance costs down. Last year was around only a 5% ROI after all the issues I went through. This year I'm hoping realistically for 20%+ ROI. It's been a learning process but worth it in the end. Ask me in a couple years and who knows how I'll feel lol.

Dealing with that many different people who are renting the property can be exhausting at times, but putting good systems in place really helps alleviate most extra work and stress. I can't stress enough that getting good systems in place is the key to success. After this year I should have a better grasp on how the property will probably perform going forward.

User Stats

Votes
Eric Ngo
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Replied Dec 29 2021, 09:49

I am also looking for a STR in the Canyon Lake area. Does anyone have a good agent that you would recommend?

User Stats

Votes
Wes Hagman
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jun 5 2022, 14:50

Hey @William Brock - Did you or any of the other STR investors in the Canyon Lake area see any difference following this ruling in 2020? This is a bummer because if its at the city level than it would mean both properties under HOAs and ones not under HOAs would be affected if they truly enforce this.

User Stats

Votes
Clint G.
  • Corpus Christi, TX
Votes |
  • Corpus Christi, TX
Replied Jun 11 2022, 00:24

@Wes Hagman

There are a ton of STRs in Canyon Lake, so I'm guessing that ordinance was reversed or never put in action.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Clint G.
  • Corpus Christi, TX
Votes |
  • Corpus Christi, TX
Replied Jun 11 2022, 00:47

@Wes Hagman

Looking at it again, that's actually Canyon Lake, CA.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 11 2022, 07:26

@Clint G. Thanks for pointing out that the article was regarding Canyon Lake, CA. I read the whole article and didn't notice. I've spent seven months remodeling an STR in Canyon Lake, TX and will have it available for rent soon.

User Stats

Votes
Clint G.
  • Corpus Christi, TX
Votes |
  • Corpus Christi, TX
Replied Jun 12 2022, 00:21

@Jon Dean

Nice! Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Chad Choquette
  • Greenville, SC
Votes |
  • Greenville, SC
Replied Aug 25 2022, 07:58

@William Brock how is your Canyon Lake STR doing? Or anyone else who is reading this thread and has an STR there? I ask because I'm looking into acquiring and launching one in Canyon Lake and haven't found local facebook groups like I have in my home area for STR hosts.

User Stats

Votes
Lyndsay Zwirlein
  • Lender
Votes |

Following!! I've looked into this area as well, so curious everyone's experiences!

User Stats

Votes
Lallu Tappu
  • Plano, TX
Votes |
  • Plano, TX
Replied Jan 5 2023, 14:35

Following as well. Looking to get into the Canyon Lake or Hills country area for an STR.

User Stats

Votes
Luis Chug
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Houston, TX
Replied Jun 3 2023, 12:40

@William Brock I also got an STR on Fischer area, I would like to connect to see if we can help each other and share resources. Would you mind if I can message you? Thanks.

User Stats

Votes
Luis Chug
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Houston, TX
Replied Jun 7 2023, 08:16

Anyone with a pool company recommendation for Canyon Lake?

User Stats

Votes
Chris Tessmann
Pro Member
  • Spring Branch, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Spring Branch, TX
Replied Mar 6 2024, 16:44

I know this is a bit older of a thread, but if anyone's still following it and looking in the area, I live here (actually looking at the lake, or what's left of it, as I type this), and have myself and a couple of partners (and reliable contractors) looking to really get going on both STR's and LTR's between here, New Braunfels, and San Marcos. Feel free to reach out if anyone's still looking around here!