Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Eric Moeller
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Leasing homes to then sublet through Airbnb? Viable business?

Eric Moeller
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Posted

Hey all!

I wanted to get this conversation started to see if any investors out there are currently sandwich leasing properties for the main purpose of subletting through Airbnb. 

I came across a landlord who is looking to rent her home here in San Diego for $2,700 a month. I ran the property through my Airbnb formula and I figured if I sublet this home through Airbnb I would be able to bring in $1,500 a month ABOVE rent, management and reserves. This is crazy to me and made me this would be a great model to explore. (yes, I considered vacancy, management, reserves, staging and local fees into my projections) 

Has anyone done this before? Have you leased a home with the purpose of subletting exclusively through Airbnb? What has worked? What was the biggest surprise? We're landlords kept in the dark or aware of the subletting? What is the benefit for the landlord? Did you cut them in on the profits? 

I have a million questions so lets get this one rolling....

Eric D. Moeller

Koda Homes

Loading replies...