Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
James R.
  • Investor
  • New Orleans, LA
Votes |
Hot Tub? Good Idea?

James R.
  • Investor
  • New Orleans, LA
Posted

Hello BP Community. We have a STR with a small back yard, not big enough for a pool, but big enough for a hot tub. Thinking of the phrase, "Keeping up with the Joneses", we are contemplating adding a hot tub, because Airbnb is reporting that properties with pools and hot tubs get twice as many bookings. I'm just wondering what y'all think about it. Good idea? Any risks that we should know about? What has been your experience? Thanks in advance.

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hurst
Lender
#2 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Lender
#2 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
  • Dallas, TX
Replied
Quote from @James R.:

Hello BP Community. We have a STR with a small back yard, not big enough for a pool, but big enough for a hot tub. Thinking of the phrase, "Keeping up with the Joneses", we are contemplating adding a hot tub, because Airbnb is reporting that properties with pools and hot tubs get twice as many bookings. I'm just wondering what y'all think about it. Good idea? Any risks that we should know about? What has been your experience? Thanks in advance.

Property in Colorado? you bet. In New Orleans the last thing I want is something else to make me hot and humid. I cannot imagine it would increase booking in nola. 

User Stats

Votes
Sean Wilt
  • Investor
  • Rome GA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Rome GA
Replied

Agree with the last poster about New Orleans.  That said, we have a hot tub at one of our STRs in North Carolina and it is a key.  It's really pretty easy actually.  We bought one new but at the low end of the price (about $5k).   Doesn't have fancy jets and a spa, but it's nice and fits 6 people.   We leave it on full time and have our cleaning people drain it after each stay. Sounds like a lot, but it's really pretty easy.  Been going on 4 years now and have never had a problem and it always gets great reviews.  We think it is for sure worth it and feel it has more than paid for itself over time!

Hospitable logo
Hospitable
|
Sponsored
Free eBook: The Ultimate STR Guide Over 100 pages of focused knowledge to help you launch and scale your short-term rental business.

User Stats

Votes
JD Martin
Pro Member
  • Rock Star Extraordinaire
  • Northeast, TN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rock Star Extraordinaire
  • Northeast, TN
ModeratorReplied

Our caretakers hate them and say they're a major PITA. But I'm in Florida, and we don't get a lot of demand for a hot tub. We have a heated in-ground pool, and that covers pretty much everyone in the cooler months (not many cooler months in central Florida). If you were somewhere that severely limits the use of a pool, then it's probably worthwhile. 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Baum
Pro Member
#2 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Olympia, WA
Replied

Yup @James R., probably not needed in NOLA unless all your competition has them.

What about a plunge pool?

User Stats

Votes
Replied

Hot tub in Joshua Tree?? Prob a good idea which is why I recently added one after hosting the property over 3 years. It's hot heck at the moment around 100 degrees, but I'm hoping it'll be worth the investment come winter time.

User Stats

Votes
James R.
  • Investor
  • New Orleans, LA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • New Orleans, LA
Replied
Quote from @Sokun So:

Hot tub in Joshua Tree?? Prob a good idea which is why I recently added one after hosting the property over 3 years. It's hot heck at the moment around 100 degrees, but I'm hoping it'll be worth the investment come winter time.

Thanks everyone for your responses.  South Louisiana has cooler temps and is cold (day time highs in the 50s) in the winter, so we were thinking more about these months, than the 3 months in the summer when it's hot and humid.  

User Stats

Votes
Collin H.
Pro Member
#5 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Gatlinburg, TN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Gatlinburg, TN
Replied
Quote from @James R.:
Quote from @Sokun So:

Thanks everyone for your responses.  South Louisiana has cooler temps and is cold (day time highs in the 50s) in the winter, so we were thinking more about these months, than the 3 months in the summer when it's hot and humid.  

I'll second and third the previous responses.  Not in Louisiana.  

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Steffens
Pro Member
#3 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Tampa, FL
Replied

Can you pull data on what competition is doing with/without each option?

I know in my area of FL 2 miles away from Clearwater Beach a 3/2 non pool home will do $50k-ish and a 3/2 with a pool will do $80k+ and even more if heated. It is easy to predict ROI on adding a pool. Hot tubs are not a big draw here, but necessary in mountains IMO.

The few times Ive been in NOLA (excluding Katrina with the Army :/) I did not feel like I needed a pool, nevertheless a hot tub.

I would find the data and let the numbers guide you, but Im thinking maybe a plunge pool as mentioned above.

User Stats

Votes
James R.
  • Investor
  • New Orleans, LA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • New Orleans, LA
Replied
Quote from @Michael Baum:

Yup @James R., probably not needed in NOLA unless all your competition has them.

What about a plunge pool?

Michael, I've been reading about hot tubs and "hot" is in the name, but they can be cold water tubs too, so the temperature can be set as the season varies.  

User Stats

Votes
Michael Baum
Pro Member
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Olympia, WA
Replied

I guess so. Never really thought about it.

User Stats

Votes
Jeremy Wirths
Pro Member
  • Auburn, NH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Auburn, NH
Replied

@James R. Are there any in your market? Do the top properties have them? Your comp set have any? If no, someone has to be a first (not saying you’ll get your money back or should). If your design/decor/photography is top notch, are there other amenities you can add that the top properties have that you don’t?

User Stats

Votes
Mike Sebastian
  • New to Real Estate
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Seattle, WA
Replied

100% a good idea. We have one at almost all our cabins. Just launched one on a cabin we've had for months and it's 30% higher ADR with higher occupancy than it's ever had. I also discuss this in a free call each Monday/Friday that I host about STRs. DM me if you're interested to dive in deeper. 

Hospitable logo
Hospitable
|
Sponsored
Host and Toast STR Networking Events Meet and learn from other STR investors at events in Orlando, Atlanta, Austin, and LA this October.

User Stats

Votes
Colleen F.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Replied

@James R.   while the suggestion of an all temp spa might make sense for your climate. The cost is a lot higher. 

User Stats

Votes
Sarah Kensinger
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Ohio
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Ohio
Replied

I would definitely check with your competition! In some areas it's just not worth the money or upkeep, but in other places a hot tub is a most.

User Stats

Votes
Armani Colon
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Stroudsburg, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Stroudsburg, PA
Replied

As many have already mentioned, adding a hot tub really depends on your market competition. I'd look into AirDNA comps to see performance with/without.

In the Poconos, PA, hot tubs are standard for STRs and are a big draw. So from my experience here is what you can consider: 

Having a reliable technician or two on standby for unexpected issues. Also, very important to consider whether your cleaning team is comfortable with maintaining the hot tub and balancing the PH between each guest.

Our cleaning team empties, cleans and refills the water between each stay. Then update our guests about the process (because it can take hours to heat up to a reasonable temp), so they know what to expect. This helps with claims about dirty water etc.

Either way you go, the takeaway is being able to consistently maintain a certain level of service and being prepared to integrate this into your team's schedule/management work flows. 

Best of Luck!

User Stats

Votes
Forreste Markowitz
  • Real Estate Broker
  • League City, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • League City, TX
Replied

I put one in my Galveston property.  It really helps during the slower season.  And you would be surprised at how often it gets used during the summer as well.  We do not drain our hot tub after every guest, but we do test and adjust the chemicals, vacuum it (sand) and skim the top if needed after every guest.  It's been worth the expense and extra work.

User Stats

Votes
Garrett Brown
Pro Member
#4 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Houston, TX
Replied

As someone with tons of hot tub vs outdoor bath experience in hotter markets (Houston here), I think adding some type of amenity like this crucial. People told me I was an idiot to put a sauna at my mirror house and it CRUSHES. Helps with the slow season and really gives you an amenity to stand out with on social media and OTA's
I think a hot tub is a great idea but the even better idea is an outdoor bathtub /shower with tankless hot water heater. 

1. It can be drained every use (as long as you have an area to drain it properly to so this would be the only hold back) so no chemicals needed or reliance on a Hot Tub maintenance person

2. It can be cold or hot for the guest no matter their preference. 

3. Much cheaper to maintain and on the electric bill

and etc.

I only build cabins in the woods though so again, the drainage would be the issue if you are more in a neighborhood or something. 

I 100% think you should add a hot tub even if it just a plug and play one that is reputable. In hot areas, the plug and plays are used more as mild temp tubs anyways. I have hard wired ones too and they are easier for winter months but that is about what 2-3 months per year?
Just my two cents! I also built a cowboy pool for one of my properties that is more family friendly and it does very well for the price I built it at ($850 total)

User Stats

Votes
Colleen F.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Replied

@Garrett Brown how does a cowboy pool do in that hot texas son. They look like they are mostly metal.

User Stats

Votes
Garrett Brown
Pro Member
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Houston, TX
Replied

@Colleen F. It does amazing if you keep it under shade. That is the major key with it. Ours stays around 78-80 even in the hottest months. It is also easy to change out water if needed on them as well to bring in cold water. It does great at my family friendly places for kids or smaller groups. I have better results with an outdoor bath/shower combo or hot tub for my couples designed cabins. 

User Stats

Votes
Stephen Keighery
Wholesalers
Pro Member
  • New Orleans, LA
Votes |
Wholesalers
Pro Member
  • New Orleans, LA
Replied
Quote from @Jay Hurst:
Quote from @James R.:

Property in Colorado? you bet. In New Orleans the last thing I want is something else to make me hot and humid. I cannot imagine it would increase booking in nola. 

I have a hot tub in my STR in New Orleans. That being said I don't think it's a massive drawcard.