User Stats

Votes
Chi Zhang
Votes |
Material participation while managing renovations at a remote property

Chi Zhang
Posted Jul 9 2024, 20:34

Hi BP, 

I’m in the process of renovating and setting up my first short term rental. The property is about 3 hours drive from my primary residence and I go there once or twice every week to work with my contractors to coordinate and manage the renovation. For context I don’t just watch them, I’m actually directing them where to do what and helping them to bring supplies over as the location is remote from large department stores like Home Depot. 

Recently I took some days off from my work to stay at the property for an entire week in an attempt to finish up the renovation here and wrap up most of the leftover work. My question is does travel time and sleep time count toward material participation

I’m aiming to qualify for the 500 hours of material participation. I’ve already met that requirement at this point if I include my 6 hour round trip driving to the property from my primary residence every week. Not sure if I can log the entire week of time that I recently spent here managing the renovations or I should only log the time I’m actually up and working, removing the sleep time at night? And does the driving time count as well? There are mixed opinions about this topic online.

Any insight on this would be much appreciated!

Loading replies...