Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Ahmed Aboelela
  • Rental Property Investor
  • New Jersey
Votes |
Short Term Rental Regulations

Ahmed Aboelela
  • Rental Property Investor
  • New Jersey
Posted

I'm diving into the world of short term rentals and looking for some advice on the best ways to research local regulations in different towns and cities within a state. Specifically, I'm curious about how you find information on local regulations, how you automate the process, and how you make it fast and efficient.

So far, my approach has been to call each municipal building to ask about their regulations on short term rentals. While this method is thorough, I've found it to be quite time-consuming.

Has anyone found a quicker, more efficient way to get this information? Any tips or strategies would be greatly appreciated!

User Stats

Votes
Ty Coutts
Lender
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
Replied

Hey Ahmed,

Many hosts streamline this process by starting with online resources like municipal websites, where cities often publish their short-term rental ordinances. Some areas have specific departments or webpages dedicated to housing or zoning regulations that can provide detailed information.

Another effective approach is to connect with local real estate agents or property managers who specialize in short-term rentals. They often have up-to-date knowledge of local regulations and can provide insights based on their experience. Additionally, joining local real estate investor groups or forums can be valuable, as members often share updates on regulatory changes and best practices.

To automate and make the process more efficient, consider using tools like AirDNA or Mashvisor, which provide data on short-term rental regulations and market trends across different locations. 

Hope this helps. Feel free to reach out if you need anything else, or if you would like to talk financing!

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Steffens
Pro Member
#2 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Tampa, FL
Replied

This is tough to answer because every jurisdiction puts out their info in different ways.  I primarily operate in Pinellas County, FL and Pinellas Realtors has a site with every localities rules and contacts.

I am not sure if you are looking statewide or nationwide but there are likely sites that can zero in on an area and help break it down and then you can call and independently verify.

I also recommend Municode.

Good luck!

• Andrew Steffens
  • [email protected]
  • 813-563-0877
  • BiggerPockets logo
    PassivePockets is here!
    |
    BiggerPockets
    Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
    Manny Vasquez
    Agent
    • Real Estate Agent
    • Orange County
    Votes |
    Agent
    • Real Estate Agent
    • Orange County
    Replied

First off, congratulations that you have taken this first step.  A lot of people decide to enter the world of short-term rentals without first checking the municipality's short-term rental policy.  Once they are knee-deep in furnishing their property or after posting their property on Airbnb for a few days/week they get hit with a violation notice from their city.  So congrats for taking this first step.

I would highly suggest to start with Google searches.  Type in search words/phrases such as "City" and "short-term rental permits" or "short-term license" or "vacation rental certificate" or something similar.   Usually, this does the trick.  Usually, this search will take you to a municipality website portal that will provide you with information and requirements for vacation / short-term rental permits.  

Remember, some cities have them, some don't. Some cities have a "wait-list" to obtain a permit (i.e. Palm Springs, CA.) If you can't find any information, then I would call the municipality just to make sure.  I hope this helps and good luck!

• Real Estate Agent