Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Matt Hubert
  • Investor
Votes |
Jensen Beach Investing

Matt Hubert
  • Investor
Posted

Any investors in the Port St Lucie, Jensen Beach, Fort Pierce area?  I have visited the area for 4 winters now for a long weekend in February to visit my in laws.  They rent a place on Nettles Island for the month of February.  I'm interested in buying a vacation rental in the area, I do not have any specific property picked out at this time.  Other than some raw land, this will be my first real estate investment.

Looking to connect with other investors who would be interested in giving tips on analyzing properties in the area and who are familiar with the market trends.

Thanks

Matt

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Holl
  • Investor
  • Minneapolis
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Minneapolis
Replied

Hey Matt,

My friend Kalvin is a Fort Lauderdale STR investor and might be a good resource for you. Let me know if you're open to an intro. :)

User Stats

Votes
Brian Christinakis
  • Miami, FL
Votes |
  • Miami, FL
Replied

Hey @Matt Hubert!

Investor-Agent here originally from Stuart! I live in Miami now, but own/operate a STR in Stuart close to downtown.

TBH, when I was looking in the area, there are some nice houses on Nettles island, but occupancy rates and ADR were not super convincing for the price point. Happy to chat more if you'd like!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Steffens
Pro Member
#3 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Tampa, FL
Replied

I am a PM and investor in Tampa but have friends in Jupiter so I know that area and have looked before. It is a niche market without a lot of draw short of the beach itself. If you are looking for ROI I would suggest South Florida or Tampa area. If you are looking to have a vacation home in that market where the cost can be offset some, then it might now be a bad idea

User Stats

Votes
John Karg
  • Lender
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Votes |
  • Lender
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Replied

Hi Matt,

I'm relatively closeby in Palm Beach and know how nice those areas are. I would just suggest thinking about what months you would be using the property yourself and make sure they aren't the peak vacation rental months, as otherwise the property won't have a chance to pay for itself. If you can use it in the off-peak times then it could make sense however. I would also make sure to know what type of financing you will be using--the traditional choice is a second home loan, but this doesn't allow you to use future rental income to qualify. Feel free to reach out with any questions! 

John

User Stats

Votes
Matt Hubert
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied
Quote from @John Karg:

Hi Matt,

I'm relatively closeby in Palm Beach and know how nice those areas are. I would just suggest thinking about what months you would be using the property yourself and make sure they aren't the peak vacation rental months, as otherwise the property won't have a chance to pay for itself. If you can use it in the off-peak times then it could make sense however. I would also make sure to know what type of financing you will be using--the traditional choice is a second home loan, but this doesn't allow you to use future rental income to qualify. Feel free to reach out with any questions! 

John

You said what we are thinking about peak season and paying for itself.

User Stats

Votes
Matt Hubert
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied
Quote from @Andrew Steffens:

It is a niche market without a lot of draw short of the beach itself.  

Andrew, is there much of a STR market in Florida beach cities in the downtown areas where restaurants, bars, and shopping are?

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Steffens
Pro Member
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Tampa, FL
Replied

@Matt Hubert

I’m a bit bias but I like Tampa because we have 3 pro sports teams, big concerts and festivals, gulf beaches, spring break/spring training, and two downtowns (Tampa and Saint Pete) so there is a lot of draw to the area besides one thing.

User Stats

Votes
Savannah Yingling
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Chevy Chase, MD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Chevy Chase, MD
Replied
Quote from @Matt Hubert:

Any investors in the Port St Lucie, Jensen Beach, Fort Pierce area?  I have visited the area for 4 winters now for a long weekend in February to visit my in laws.  They rent a place on Nettles Island for the month of February.  I'm interested in buying a vacation rental in the area, I do not have any specific property picked out at this time.  Other than some raw land, this will be my first real estate investment.

Looking to connect with other investors who would be interested in giving tips on analyzing properties in the area and who are familiar with the market trends.

Thanks

Matt

Hi Matt! I grew up going to Jensen Beach at least once a year. Over the years the town has grown quite a bit and has made many improvements to the community. We still have my great grandparents house in the family. For years we were renting it long term and never really had an. issue with turnover. Someone made a good point it can be worth it for STR but definitely take a good look at numbers and peak vacation times throughout the year.

District Invest Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Kohler
  • Real Estate Broker | Investor | Property Manager
  • Plantation, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker | Investor | Property Manager
  • Plantation, FL
Replied
Quote from @Matt Hubert:

Thanks

Matt

I help folks in that area and Jensen is important to be on the actual East side near the ocean.  Happy to discuss anything further.  

User Stats

Votes
Matt Hubert
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied

I help folks in that area and Jensen is important to be on the actual East side near the ocean.  Happy to discuss anything further.  

Kevin, the east side particular Nettles Island is what I've been looking at.  I could use a little help estimating the projected income.  For example, I used AirDNA for a property and came up with $54,200 annual income, Pricelabs says $24,600, and my estimate based on the property my in laws stay at is $32,000.

The income is the hardest for me to estimate, even using enemy method.  How can I hone in on key factors like income, ADR, occupancy, etc?

User Stats

Votes
Replied
Quote from @Kevin Kohler:
East side as in the "open" or exposed ocean, or it is enough to be close to the intercoastal and bridges?