Florida Vacation Rental/STR Management - Is a real estate license needed?

Florida Vacation Rental/STR Management - Is a real estate license needed?

Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2020 · 20 posts · 4 votes

Hey all, starting a short-term rental management company here in Florida and haven't been able to find any concrete information around if a license is needed to manage specifically short-term and/or vacation rentals in Florida. Continuing to research but would love insight from anyone here with answers or could point me in the right direction. Thank you! 

0Reply
57 views

Most Popular Reply

Sarah KensingerPro Member
Real Estate Consultant · OH · Member since 2023 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
3y

You pretty much need a real estate license or property management license to run a true all-out PM company in every state. I believe there are only 5 or 6 that have no laws as of right now. If you get into co-hosting a STR and the owner still has some responsibilities, that handles the license issues until you get a realtor's license, or just carry on with co-hosting.

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Luke CarlPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    Call your local board of realtors! 

  • Alan AsriantsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    I believe in order to manage real estate in any state for others (not including your own property) requires a broker license. Check your local board

    Alan Asriants - New Century Real Estate 590 Reviews
    View Page
  • Sarah KensingerPro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · OH · Member since 2023 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    You pretty much need a real estate license or property management license to run a true all-out PM company in every state. I believe there are only 5 or 6 that have no laws as of right now. If you get into co-hosting a STR and the owner still has some responsibilities, that handles the license issues until you get a realtor's license, or just carry on with co-hosting.

  • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2020 · 20 posts · 4 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Sarah Kensinger:

    You pretty much need a real estate license or property management license to run a true all-out PM company in every state. I believe there are only 5 or 6 that have no laws as of right now. If you get into co-hosting a STR and the owner still has some responsibilities, that handles the license issues until you get a realtor's license, or just carry on with co-hosting.


     Hi Sarah, I appreciate your input! Do you know the technical differences between a Co-host and a PM company? I of course want to go about it legally, but also strategically if the Co-hosting route has more lenience. Just not familiar the actual difference between the two options. Thank you!

  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Tyler Garcia:

    Hey all, starting a short-term rental management company here in Florida and haven't been able to find any concrete information around if a license is needed to manage specifically short-term and/or vacation rentals in Florida. Continuing to research but would love insight from anyone here with answers or could point me in the right direction. Thank you! 


     I would say 1000% yes, as you need a RE license in all other states to do PM 

  • Sarah KensingerPro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · OH · Member since 2023 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Tyler Garcia:
    Quote from @Sarah Kensinger:

    You pretty much need a real estate license or property management license to run a true all-out PM company in every state. I believe there are only 5 or 6 that have no laws as of right now. If you get into co-hosting a STR and the owner still has some responsibilities, that handles the license issues until you get a realtor's license, or just carry on with co-hosting.


     Hi Sarah, I appreciate your input! Do you know the technical differences between a Co-host and a PM company? I of course want to go about it legally, but also strategically if the Co-hosting route has more lenience. Just not familiar the actual difference between the two options. Thank you!

    Yes, I do! Since we have started a co-hosting company, we needed to learn as well. Mostly it's handling the income money of the STR and creating the listing, although there is debate about that depending on the state laws. If you'll give me a couple hours, I'll send you a DM.
  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y

    @Tyler Garcia, call the board. Get the real answer. Co-Hosting isn't the same as full property management, but you need to call.

    You aren't local to FL right? Personally I would never hire a co-host let alone one that was 3k miles away. You don't bring much to the table if you aren't right there. Unless you are charging a crazy low price. Like VA type pricing.

  • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2020 · 20 posts · 4 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Michael Baum:

    @Tyler Garcia, call the board. Get the real answer. Co-Hosting isn't the same as full property management, but you need to call.

    You aren't local to FL right? Personally I would never hire a co-host let alone one that was 3k miles away. You don't bring much to the table if you aren't right there. Unless you are charging a crazy low price. Like VA type pricing.


     I'm local to Florida.

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y

    Sorry @Tyler Garcia, for some reason I thought you were in CA. Damn eyeballs o' mine!

  • Vicki X.Pro Member
    Investor · Member since 2022 · 186 posts · 155 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Tyler Garcia:
    Quote from @Sarah Kensinger:

    You pretty much need a real estate license or property management license to run a true all-out PM company in every state. I believe there are only 5 or 6 that have no laws as of right now. If you get into co-hosting a STR and the owner still has some responsibilities, that handles the license issues until you get a realtor's license, or just carry on with co-hosting.


     Hi Sarah, I appreciate your input! Do you know the technical differences between a Co-host and a PM company? I of course want to go about it legally, but also strategically if the Co-hosting route has more lenience. Just not familiar the actual difference between the two options. Thank you!


    This is not professional advice.

    As many have stated, check the regulations in your State. The activities that (almost) always require a license:
    - collect rents
    - prepare leases or other legal documents for your clients

    I think you might be able to assist your clients by offering some in-person services or managing the software without licenses.  In that case, your client will self-manage, but assign some tasks to you. Maybe it's similar to the co-hosting idea.

    Just a thought!

  • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2020 · 20 posts · 4 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Michael Baum:

    Sorry @Tyler Garcia, for some reason I thought you were in CA. Damn eyeballs o' mine!


     I think it's cuz I updated my location after I saw your comment haha. Hadn't updated it since I got to FL a few weeks back! Lol!

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Tyler Garcia:
    Quote from @Michael Baum:

    Sorry @Tyler Garcia, for some reason I thought you were in CA. Damn eyeballs o' mine!


     I think it's cuz I updated my location after I saw your comment haha. Hadn't updated it since I got to FL a few weeks back! Lol!

    Hah! That is why. I thought it said CA. Glad I am not going nutz. :) Thanks!
  • Property Manager · Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 147 posts · 66 votes
    3y

    I would suggest contacting the state and county departments in which you'll be operating to get specifics on licensure needed.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.