New to Real Estate · Calgary, Alberta · Member since 2015 · 20 posts · 2 votes
Over the past few months, our tenant has been harassed by a stranger in the area (stalking, climbing onto her balcony, trying to get into her car while she's in it). The Police have been involved but unable to catch him and put a stop to it.
After another altercation just the other day, she's at the point that she can't be comfortable anymore and wants to break the lease (which we will allow).
The real question that I have now is how to handle this in the upcoming new tenant screening? Should we disclose it? My hope is that he is caught before then and this can all be put to bed, but I'm not too optimistic.
Coppell, TX · Member since 2015 · 485 posts · 310 votes
4y
Call the PD and ask if you can advertise your unit for police officers (with the disclosure) with a nice discount, and he/she will season the unit back into healthy status after 6 months or so :)
You know, like the community officer for large apartment buildings..
Over the past few months, our tenant has been harassed by a stranger in the area (stalking, climbing onto her balcony, trying to get into her car while she's in it). The Police have been involved but unable to catch him and put a stop to it.
After another altercation just the other day, she's at the point that she can't be comfortable anymore and wants to break the lease (which we will allow).
The real question that I have now is how to handle this in the upcoming new tenant screening? Should we disclose it? My hope is that he is caught before then and this can all be put to bed, but I'm not too optimistic.
That is a very serious situation as you know. I would tell prospective renters and let them make their own decisions. I think you are opening yourself up to a serious lawsuit if you withhold information like that. Your renter will turn out to be a big, buff guy who knows how to handle a buck knife.
Coppell, TX · Member since 2015 · 485 posts · 310 votes
4y
Call the PD and ask if you can advertise your unit for police officers (with the disclosure) with a nice discount, and he/she will season the unit back into healthy status after 6 months or so :)
You know, like the community officer for large apartment buildings..
Rental Property Investor · Portland OR · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
4y
you absolutely will need to disclose is my guess - however! if I were you I would call my attorney before saying anything or showing the apartment.
Also I believe it is against fair housing laws to stipulate what type of tenants you want (police) as that is discriminatory against those you exclude. Ask your atty about that too!
you absolutely will need to disclose is my guess - however! if I were you I would call my attorney before saying anything or showing the apartment.
Also I believe it is against fair housing laws to stipulate what type of tenants you want (police) as that is discriminatory against those you exclude. Ask your atty about that too!
Your Comment: "Also I believe it is against fair housing laws"
He is in Canada. The laws are different there, but it's a good point to find out what the law is.
Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2020 · 236 posts · 247 votes
4y
@Jon Martin I disagree with other posters. Why would you need to disclose it to a prospective tenant? Is this criminal stalking the home you are trying to rent? Do you have to disclose a mugging that happened two blocks away last week? Or that a neighbor got arrested for a domestic dispute? This alleged criminal is harassing a resident of the community, it has nothing to do with the home you are making available to rent. If this person is stalking and harassing any person who dares to live in your particular house then MAYBE that's a different story. In that case you personally have other things to worry about. It's not your obligation to disclose every civil disturbance that happens within a 5 mile radius of the home. If the home itself is attacking its inhabitants, then I would disclose that.
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
4y
I also disagree. You have a responsibility to protect the privacy of your renters. The fact that she's being stalked has nothing to do with your rental, and probably doesn't even reflect on the neighborhood. It sounds like a personal issue that will likely disappear when she moves out.
And that's my second point. The stalker is after her, not your apartment or the neighborhood. It shouldn't affect the next renter so it needn't be disclosed.
Real Estate Broker · Rochester Hills, MI · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
4y
The assumption that is being made by making disclosures is what, that the house is being stalked and not the tenant? I don't know the legal requirements in your state for disclosure but I do agree that you can open yourself up for some liability if the stalker doesn't know the previous tenant moved (a bad stalker at that) and harms the new tenant.
Def. check with state laws on this topic and would let that be your guide. But the odds are when the tenant leaves so does the stalker. Esp if you make it clear it is vacant for a bit.
Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
4y
Hi Jon,
Maybe post a note up at your local strongman gym, explaining the situation and offering 2 free months rent on a 12 month lease.
If Mr. Stalker tries to get into Mr. Weightlifters car, my guess is he will get out quickly.
But "DON'T Hire a Vigilantle", just rent to someone who's not afraid of men on the street, and may stay as a long term renter.
Because Mr. Stalker isn't interested in harassing someone who could twist him up into a pretzel, with the right renter he will probably not come around again.
My guess is it has to do with the tenant and the person had unfortunately targeted her. I also like the idea of posting the unit for rent at targeted locations (fire hall, police station).
New to Real Estate · NY · Member since 2020 · 196 posts · 29 votes
4y
There’s creeps everywhere. How is it the landlords duty to control that. It’s an negative externality aside for maintaining the property. To prevent something like this a male would be a better tenant. But in most of these areas where we buy low it’s usually due to the area not being the best. The tenant made the right decision to leave cause a lot of those interactions/stalking lead to irreversible situations. But anything taking place outside the properties doors is hard to control. Cameras will catch a crime not prevent it.