I won the eviction. How do I collect the backpay from Government?

I won the eviction. How do I collect the backpay from Government?

San Francisco, CA · Member since 2017 · 33 posts · 5 votes

Good Evening,

Trial ended in my favor.  Judge said the government will be calling or contacting my PM for instructions how to retrieve the back pay.  We have not received any calls.  It's been 1 month.  How are people collecting their backpay from the Gov?

Property is in PA.  

Thanks in advanced.

0Reply
10 views

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    5y

    Government? Like the President? The Department of Transportation? Your City Council?

    "Government" is an awfully broad term. Who - specifically - was ordered to pay you money?

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2017 · 33 posts · 5 votes
    5y

    Thanks for responding.   My lawyer just repeated what the judge told him.  Someone from the Government will contact us and pay the back rent for the tenant.  

  • Wholesaler · Roseville, CA · Member since 2017 · 17 posts · 4 votes
    5y

    hahahah that's a good one.  Did they tell you to hold your breath while you wait, too?  Trust us, we're from the government.... hahaha 

  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2017 · 33 posts · 5 votes
    4y

    @Andrew Croley @Nathan G. Just an update. The Gov sent my PM the late rent minus fees. Really sucks the tenant got free rent for 10 months. Good luck…

  • Wholesaler · Roseville, CA · Member since 2017 · 17 posts · 4 votes
    4y

    So, under what program was the government held liable and responsible to pay?  Was this a Section 8 tenancy?  Or did you have some kind of housing agreement with the government for low income, or homeless housing, or??  Not enough info here to figure out what this was really regarding, because the "Gov" doesn't just pay you since you won an eviction.  Were there wage garnishments that were ordered and the Gov helped you collect?  Way more info is needed.  thanks!

  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2017 · 33 posts · 5 votes
    3y

    @Andrew Croley Hi its been a while since i logged in.  All i know is the judge told my lawyer that the Government will be sending my  PM the backpay.  They were not sec8 I had no agreement with the gov. Wages were not garnished.  Tenant claimed they lost work from covid.  My PM received the check took their fees and I got back half of what I wanted.  I hope you got all that was owed to you.  I know I got lucky with this one..  Good luck.

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    3y

    Must have been part of the CERA Program

  • Jeff CopelandBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Tampa Bay/St Petersburg, FL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    Most likely your tenant fought the eviction and requested a court date. Here in Florida (and I assume in some other states), the tenant has to pay their rent (or at least what they claim they owe) into the court registry in order to have their day in court. 

    So the funds likely came from the tenant, and were being held in escrow by the court pending the outcome of the hearing. 

    Sadly, there is no government agency that pays back lost rent to landlords following an eviction. 

    In most states, the eviction suit wins you possession only, meaning the Landlord/PM gets the property back (with the sheriff's help, if necessary). 

    Pursuing a collection judgment is a separate matter. And even if you win a judgment, collecting it is yet another matter, and often an utter waste of time. 

    Copeland Morgan LLC4.770 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.