Wooden Floor damage by Tenants - who should pay for this

Wooden Floor damage by Tenants - who should pay for this

Member since 2021 · 7 posts · 2 votes

Hi, our tenants informed us that wood floor has buckled and ballooned in the middle of the bed room. Which looks like a water damage. They have portable A/C there. They are also softly claiming they haven’t done anything wrong and May be it’s a different issue. Who should pay for fixing this? And how should I inform the tenants that they are responsible for the fix with out being too rude. Since they claiming it’s not a water damage and some kind of floor issue. What are my options? I’m planning to get an estimate and send it to the tenants to fix this. Or should I claim the insurance and fix it myself. Our rental contract indicates that tenants have to fix the issues in the house.


Appreciate any pointers and help. 

0Reply
26 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Kim Meredith HamptonBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · St Petersburg · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    @Niranjan Kumar Goli Have a flooring specialist look at it, then you will evidence one way or another. If it is from moisture and its no where else except where they have the portable AC, then it is their responsibility. Do you also have photos before they took occupancy to show there was no damage in that area?

  • Member since 2021 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    5y
    Thanks Kim. We do have the photo evidence. The tenants have been living in the home for 3 years.


    Originally posted by @Kim Meredith Hampton:

    @Niranjan Kumar Goli Have a flooring specialist look at it, then you will evidence one way or another. If it is from moisture and its no where else except where they have the portable AC, then it is their responsibility. Do you also have photos before they took occupancy to show there was no damage in that area?

  • Member since 2021 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    I have people come look at it and clearly there is a water damage. I went ahead a got couple of quotes for the repair. Should I give my tenants a repair deadline? I'm planning to send them email with quotes and approximate cost of repair. I'm debating if I should set a deadline for the repair. 

  • Rental Property Investor · TN · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    Do NOT, do NOT, NEVER let tenants repair it on their own.  You can tell them what contractors, floor specialists you approve and let them choose from your list.  Or you can tell them you need to approve who they use BEFORE they do anything.  But you need to choose/approve the person/company doing the work.  

    Personally I would get it fixed and give them the bill.  And I would tell them that the repair bill is paid BEFORE the rent.  And NO it does not come out of the deposit.

    Letting a tenant hire someone is not ever a good idea.  They will go cheap, not someone who can do the repair who is able to match the wood, satin, etc. and who is licensed, bonded, insured, etc.  They may fix your hardwood floors with glue on wood stamped linoleum stickies.

  • Member since 2021 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Lynnette E.:

    Do NOT, do NOT, NEVER let tenants repair it on their own.  You can tell them what contractors, floor specialists you approve and let them choose from your list.  Or you can tell them you need to approve who they use BEFORE they do anything.  But you need to choose/approve the person/company doing the work.  

    Personally I would get it fixed and give them the bill.  And I would tell them that the repair bill is paid BEFORE the rent.  And NO it does not come out of the deposit.

    Letting a tenant hire someone is not ever a good idea.  They will go cheap, not someone who can do the repair who is able to match the wood, satin, etc. and who is licensed, bonded, insured, etc.  They may fix your hardwood floors with glue on wood stamped linoleum stickies.

    Thanks Lynnette for the feedback. I will fix the problem and send them the bill. Appreciate your feedback.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.