Should Landlord have set of house keys? Mail keys?

Should Landlord have set of house keys? Mail keys?

New to Real Estate · CA · Member since 2021 · 24 posts · 8 votes

Hello fellow landlords. There are so many details and it is so hard to figure out what is "right". We bought a SFH in Feb and we just closed on a duplex. Both came with existing tenants. In both cases, the sellers say they do not keep a set of keys. Is this the norm? Should the Landlord have a set of keys? Or is there some reason not to like limiting liability? The first house just turned over and we made a copy of the house and mail key before handing property over to new tenant. Just wondering what everyone here thinks. Thank you!!

0Reply
42 views

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    5y

    We always have keys to all units and the lease forbids the tenant to change or modify locks without informing the LL. It is after all our property.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    5y

    I always keep two spare sets of keys. If I'm sending a vendor to the home, need to enter for an inspection, or there's an emergency, I need to have access. If a tenant locks themselves out, I have a spare to sign out to them or I can go open the door (there's a fee, but it's cheaper than a locksmith).

    If I sign out one key and it hasn't been returned yet, I still have a second in the office for an emergency.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Alecia LovelessPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    @Lynette Pang I always keep extra sets of keys for my units and often provide them to my primary handyman. While I wouldn’t just give a key to a tenants home to every contractor, I’ve worked with this man for over 10 years. I often let tenants in that are locked out too.

  • Real Estate Broker · Rochester Hills, MI · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    As always check local laws but yes, we do have a set of keys to enter all of the properties.  If tenants change locks they are charged to replace them with our type of locks (this is in the lease).  We don't have locks on our mailboxes so I can't help you there.  

  • Property Manager · Denver, CO · Member since 2021 · 667 posts · 587 votes
    5y

    @Lynette P. In addition to what others have said, it is a good idea to have a set of keys in case there is an emergency repair and the tenants are not home. For example: burst pipes always seem to happen when people are on vacation. 

  • New to Real Estate · CA · Member since 2021 · 24 posts · 8 votes
    5y

    Thank you to everyone who responded! 

  • Property Manager · McLean, VA · Member since 2021 · 36 posts · 8 votes
    5y

    As a landlord you are entitled to have a set of keys to the property. You will need to get into the house for repairs, inspections, etc. If you plan to visit the property, you should let the tenant know in advance when you plan to be there and the reason for your visit. Make sure they have the option to attend if they want to be present.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.