Duplex, can I bill back water to the tenants, single meter? KCMO

Duplex, can I bill back water to the tenants, single meter? KCMO

Real Estate Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 31 posts · 7 votes

Hi all,

I'm evaluating a duplex deal right now in Kansas City, Missouri. It's my first ever multi-family deal, so learning a lot right now.

  1. - The broker says that tenants pay gas & electricity, and the owner pays water, sewage, trash. Is this normal?
  2. - The water meter is a single meter. The broker is claiming that this can be billed back to the tenants. Is this true? I can't figure out the exact answer for whether its legal to bill back water if its a single meter.
  3. - If its a single meter, can I change this to individually metered? Or is the cost for doing this typically a lot? This is an older building (1954). 

Thank you for any insight!

0Reply
13 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dick RosenPro Member
    Property Manager · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 451 votes
    5y

    Yes you can charge the tenants for water, how you calculate a fair share to each is negotiable and it must be done at the beginning of a new lease. You can't start charging existing tenants until you choose renew their lease. You can also get more detailed and have sub-meters put in but that can get expensive and I don't think it's worth it on a duplex.

  • Real Estate Broker · Huntsville, AL · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 872 votes
    5y

    Here we charge a flat fee to the tenant. So like $50 each month for water, but the tenant may use more than that. Whatever the average bill is, I'd charge that to the tenant!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.