Tenant renewing lease and requesting to have a dog - Bellevue, WA

Tenant renewing lease and requesting to have a dog - Bellevue, WA

Kirkland, WA · Member since 2016 · 39 posts · 17 votes

I have a tenant since 2014, who would like to have a dog. They've always been on time with rent. Never had trouble with them, and are very easy to work with. I'd like to keep them, and won't increase rent for the renewal coming up soon this time (I increase the rent every renewal).

I have a No-Pet policy when renting, but I decided to be flexible with them, and allow them their dog request (not a big one!). Given that they've been good long time tenants. 

This is what i think proposing them in order to allow them the dog:

- The tenant insurance will need to include the pet, and provide the appropriate paperwork with the update.

- $300 non refundable pet fee.

- Increase rent by $50/month, instead of pet rent -- trying to avoid the pet verbiage, in case they want to come up that it's an ESA. I doubt it, but just in case. Pet disappears? Rent stays the same. It will give a chance to do a rent increase, since I wasn't going to increase rent this coming up renewal.

- Pet is spayed or neutered.

I have yard maintenance crew that mentioned if they'd find pet droppings would charge for picking up, so thinking letting tenants know of the charge, and pass it onto them. 

Any thoughts? other suggestions? I don't have experience with pets, because don't want to deal with it, but willing to be flexible with this tenant. 

I know the carpet will need to be changed once they move out. It's been there for a long time!. Once they are move out, I'd most likely need to do some upgrades. Although, hoping to keep them as many years as possible.

Tenant is thinking about the dog, hence the request. Hoping that he'll get discouraged with all the requirements, because I rather not deal with pets.

The SFH is located in Bellevue, WA (South of Bellevue). How are the pet charges in the area? Any other suggestions?

Appreciate your input!

1Reply
13 views

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Johanna V.:

    I have a tenant since 2014, who would like to have a dog. They've always been on time with rent. Never had trouble with them, and are very easy to work with. I'd like to keep them, and won't increase rent for the renewal coming up soon this time (I increase the rent every renewal).

    I have a No-Pet policy when renting, but I decided to be flexible with them, and allow them their dog request (not a big one!). Given that they've been good long time tenants. 

    This is what i think proposing them in order to allow them the dog:

    - The tenant insurance will need to include the pet, and provide the appropriate paperwork with the update.

    - $300 non refundable pet fee.

    - Increase rent by $50/month, instead of pet rent -- trying to avoid the pet verbiage, in case they want to come up that it's an ESA. I doubt it, but just in case. Pet disappears? Rent stays the same. It will give a chance to do a rent increase, since I wasn't going to increase rent this coming up renewal.

    - Pet is spayed or neutered.

    I have yard maintenance crew that mentioned if they'd find pet droppings would charge for picking up, so thinking letting tenants know of the charge, and pass it onto them. 

    Any thoughts? other suggestions? I don't have experience with pets, because don't want to deal with it, but willing to be flexible with this tenant. 

    I know the carpet will need to be changed once they move out. It's been there for a long time!. Once they are move out, I'd most likely need to do some upgrades. Although, hoping to keep them as many years as possible.

    Tenant is thinking about the dog, hence the request. Hoping that he'll get discouraged with all the requirements, because I rather not deal with pets.

    The SFH is located in Bellevue, WA (South of Bellevue). How are the pet charges in the area? Any other suggestions?

    Appreciate your input!

     You are miles ahead of where most Landlords would be at this point. Everything you've listed is good. Just make sure you get it in writing.

    As you said, the carpet is already near the end of its life so adding a dog is pretty low risk. 

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Jon KellyPro Member
    Investor · Bethlehem, PA · Member since 2016 · 929 posts · 951 votes
    5y

    @Johanna V. it's best to set standards and stick with them. HOWEVER, this is a strong 6+ year tenant so I agree with your thought process and would probably do the same thing as you. 

    I would consider two additional things: 

    1. This sounds like a multi-family property since you have a yard maintenance crew. How are you going to handle other tenants that ask you for a pet since you allowed it for another tenant? 

    2. Pet droppings fee is great and SHOULD force the tenant to pick up after the dog. However, if pet droppings becomes an issue just monitor how much time you're spending on this topic: e.g. discussing with your yard maintenance crew, taking pictures, discussing with the tenant, charging/collecting an extra $5-10... Is this extra time worth the $50 bump in rent? 

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5y

    @Johanna V. Well thought out. The question I would have is how are you going to present the renewal $50 more if you get the dog plus a $300 fee or will you just say your rent is $50 more and the dog fee is $300. If rent that is $50 is more market rent, then just increase and you can dial it back if you want, if she doesn't get the dog.  Also in your lease there should be a pass thru charge of any landscape fees for failing to pick up after the dog.

  • Realtor · Bellevue, WA · Member since 2019 · 882 posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Johanna V., is this a single-family or multi-family. If single-family you kind of covered it. If multi-family you can add more clauses for pet/neighbors

  • Kirkland, WA · Member since 2016 · 39 posts · 17 votes
    5y

    Thank you for your replies! 

    @Nathan Gesner yes! all in writing. 

    @Jon Kelly You have a good point!. Time is valuable, so not sure how to handle if there're pet droppings. The crew just don't want to be picking up after the tenants when doing the garden, so want to add a fee for it. But people may just rather pay a fees than do it themselves. You got me! I don't have tenants with pets, so this is new territory for me. 

    @Colleen F. Planning to add the $50 as rent increase, because I wasn't planning on increasing rent and tenant was happy about it (since I've been increasing every renewal) Maybe that would discourage them. Hoping so! If they decide not to have the dog I won't increase it. The $300 non refundable fee will be added in a pet amendment, listing the requirements/rules, and the pet dropping clean up will be added there too. So very time it gets reported a fee needs to be paid. 

    Now, what would that fee make sense to be worth it, as mentioned it @Jon Kelly, is it worth it? or maybe I should I just increase to $80 the rent to cover it, just in case.

    @Sherief Elbassuoni yes, it's a SFH.

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5y

    @Johanna V. you have already told them you are not increasing so  basically you have to present increase as because of the dog. I would communicate that while she is thinking about the dog.  And you  honestly you should do the pet dropping fee per instance because the real point is to discourage the behavior not just collect more money to cover it.  Can you give her a day for the lawn guy?   An $80 a month increase I think the point is you don't want the dog so just say no and be done with it. 

  • Kirkland, WA · Member since 2016 · 39 posts · 17 votes
    5y

    @Colleen F. correct, the increase is only for the dog. It's a way to maybe discourage them. I know it's easier to say No, because I want to avoid anything extra that comes with dealing with tenants with pets. But, as mentioned, they are good long time tenant, and want to keep it longer.

    Any other input, ideas are welcome! I'm gonna send the tenant the list/fees and want to make sure i cover all bases.

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5y

    @Johanna V. watch out she doesn't suddenly need an emotional support animal and you have to take it without a rent raise. However,  I sense she isn't this kind of tenant for you but that is something that happens. 

  • Kirkland, WA · Member since 2016 · 39 posts · 17 votes
    5y

    @Colleen F. yes! I hope it doesn't turned out that way, tenant doesn't seem the type. Crossing fingers! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.