Neighbors weed smell causing me problems and mgmt doing zilch

Neighbors weed smell causing me problems and mgmt doing zilch

Member since 2021 · 4 posts · 0 votes

My neighbors are growing and smoking weed that is permeating my apartment , giving me headaches and making my clothes reek. I work around heavy equipment so being suspected of being high is reason enough for termination. 

I wrote to my management company and requested to be moved to a different unit. Their response was that they are in the process of removing these tenants and that they sympathize but these things take time . A court date hasn't even been set.

The eviction process taking a long time isn't my problem. I personally think that it would be easier to move me at their expense . They told me if I wanted to transfer units I'd have to give 30 days notice, $1000 transfer fee and a $65 application fee. 

They sympathize so much that they want to make money off of me for something that I believe is their responsibility. At first I wanted to stay within the same complex , but this treatment and weasel behavior makes me want to move to a different complex within the same company . What do I do , this is ridiculous. ? I need to talk to someone that has more power. Any advice on how to move forward is much appreciated. 

Best Regards,

Jessica

0Reply
16 views

Most Popular Reply

Greg WeikBusiness Member
Property Manager · Denver, CO · Member since 2020 · 263 posts · 327 votes
5y

Your management company cannot speed up the eviction process if that is what is going on.  

If smoking marijuana is illegal where you are, you should contact the police.  If it is legal, you should speak with your neighbors to try to work this out (this piece is absent from your post.)  

In property management, there are only two options to get rid of tenants:  1) Non-renew the lease, and 2) Eviction.  Both of those are slow-moving, but it is what it is. 

Real Estate Solutions4.4389 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2020 · 150 posts · 54 votes
    5y

    Hello Jessica,

    I recommend contacting the Property Management directly or the Landlords and explain the situation. They should be considerate and give you a solution and keep your business as well. 

    Hope this helps,

    Claudio.

  • Greg WeikBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Denver, CO · Member since 2020 · 263 posts · 327 votes
    5y

    Your management company cannot speed up the eviction process if that is what is going on.  

    If smoking marijuana is illegal where you are, you should contact the police.  If it is legal, you should speak with your neighbors to try to work this out (this piece is absent from your post.)  

    In property management, there are only two options to get rid of tenants:  1) Non-renew the lease, and 2) Eviction.  Both of those are slow-moving, but it is what it is. 

    Real Estate Solutions4.4389 Reviews
  • Member since 2021 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    I told management,  I want nothing to do with my neighbors being put out of their home due to marijuana use. I personally think it should be legal. I am in the state of Texas so it is legal up to a certain amount. But still I don't want these people arrested, I don't want to upend their lives . I just want to move units so I can live comfortably. My management company , like I said tried to weasel me by charging all these fees and and I am infuriated from it. It's a huge corporation company they own so many apartment complexes in Texas and all over the US. I I'm kind of shocked that they came back with the resolution of charging me to transfer when they could easily move me and then avoid eviction if that was their basis for evicting these people.

    I want to respond once I've cooled down a bit. I think it would be helpful to site lease terms and laws that would be relevant to my case. I don't want to sound threatening but I do want them to pay for me to move to a different unit and at this point why not even an upgrade because I've been paying rent for a place that I can hardly even sleep at. Anyways thank you all for your input.

  • Deland, FL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    Read your lease 

    my guess, you are out of luck 

    Could always call an Atty amd ask for their opinion 

  • Wholesaler, Rehabber and Landlord · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    I can tell you it is not legal. There are less than 4000 people who are registered in the state to use medicinally. AND if they are growing, that is pretty major offense because that means they are probably distributing it also. You should want to report someone doing something illegal.

    But back to eviction and moving. You mention that you do not want anything to happen to the people, but you want to move. YOU have a lease. If you want to move, you have to pay. Simple.

    I would just call the police and it would be over that day. You should be concerned with your own health and NOT the welfare of people that are breaking the law and the consequences of their actions. The people would be gone, no smell anymore. Life would be rosy. The apartment management is NOT doing anything wrong to you in asking you to pay to move because you want to.

  • Member since 2021 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    Hello Rick, 

    I get your point .I do have another question. when I first moved in , I wrote on the condition inventory sheet that the place reeked of weed. My thought at the time was that the smell was lingering from previous tenants and it would go away. . The management is trying to remove them and a court date hasn't been set yet.  I can imagine that it will take an extremely long time for this to be resolved. 

    I don't necessarily want to move units, I just want to live comfortably without headaches. I have know idea how long this process could take but it sounds like there is no end in site. So do I just suffer. ? I assumed moving me would solve my problem especially since there are health concerns . 

    I know it's not managements fault that the eviction process takes forever but it's not something I should have to deal with considering I pay rent for a place that makes me feel like my head is going to explode.. mgmt can call the cops , I'm not . I don't even want them knowing I complained.  . . 

    Cops will either do nothing or do something extreme . Either way I don't need fear of retaliation on top of all this. . I guess I could break my  lease due to health concerns ?what are your thoughts.?

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    5y

    You can't speed up the eviction process.

    What you could do is contact the property manager IN WRITING and demand they find you an alternative place to live or allow you to break your lease so you can rent somewhere else. Tell them it is affecting your health and putting you at risk of losing employment and that failure to release you will result in a civil suit and a complaint with the Texas REALTORS Association. Set a deadline of seven days to find you new accommodations or you will act.

    If they fail to respond, find a new place to rent and break your lease. Send a written notice to your manager telling them they failed to protect your health and you were forced to break the lease. Clean the place and document it with 100+ pictures of every wall, front/back of doors, windows, inside/outside of cabinets and appliances, etc. Turn in the keys along with a written letter demanding your full deposit back due to their failure to provide you with a safe living space. Give them 15 days to respond.

    If they fail to return the deposit, then you have to decide if you are willing to act. You could start by filing a claim the the Texas REALTORS Association because that will generally motivate the manager to refund your money so they can avoid an investigation. If that doesn't work, then you can choose to sue in Small Claims.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Member since 2021 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    Thanks everyone for the advice . Mr. Nathan G. , Thank you very much . I believe if I start with these steps they will wise up. 

    Management at first weren't saying no to the idea of moving me,they were asking me to wait . So I think if I point out their duty to my lease and my rights as a tenant  they  will have a revelation . Hopefully there won't be a need for small claims court. Thank you again. 

    Bsat Regards,

    J. Thomas

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.