Advice on tenant with prescription drug addiction

Advice on tenant with prescription drug addiction

Developer · Asheville, NC · Member since 2020 · 37 posts · 37 votes

Hello BP family,

So I've found myself in a difficult situation in my rent by the room rental, and the fact that it is a rent by the room house makes it much more pressing.  Turns out one of the tenants I just signed has a pretty serious prescription drug problem, which has just forced her to be taken to the hospital by an ambulance after her roommate called 911.  Both personal references were obviously covering up the truth for her and there was no mention from most recent property manager.  The story was that she was on Disability for a bad back that was holding her out of work and had been living with her daughter since her divorce.  She wanted to move out of her daughter's house because her daughter got married.  I just learned that her daughter had actually kicked her out of the house for her drug problem.  This tells me that this has been going on for long time and has probably refused rehab.  I already know where I have made a couple mistakes in my own due diligence here & missed some red flags, but the reality is that we have signed a 12-month lease (that she has no intention to break) and I know that a legal drug addiction is not grounds for eviction.

Thinking my best approach is to try to genuinely help her and possibly find a more suitable living situation (may be very difficult because of her addiction).  I doubt cash for keys will work because she is covered by Medicare/Disability, and also has $1500 coming in every month.  Money is not enough incentive for her to have nowhere to live. Still brainstorming...

Would greatly appreciate any insight or prior related experiences you all can offer.  Thanks!

1Reply
28 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2021 · 17 posts · 14 votes
    5y

    Hello Evan, I'm not familiar with NC's Landlord & Tenant Laws, in AZ we'd probably not be able to evict her on this alone. But we'd want her out based on her behavior. The question is, are there damages being suffered by the landlord. If the tenant's damaging the property, harming others, or not paying rent or other such issues then eviction is likely. But if she's paying the rent, not harming others or the property, there doesn't seem to be any reason to remove her other than you not wanting her there. Granted none of us want for a tenant to harm themselves or pass away in our house, but this is there own personal freedom to partake in prescribed drugs, alcohol, and other legal but possibly dangerous adult activities. If she continuously keeps having to be taken to the hospital I'd hope that who ever is checking on her would take necessary actions to stop her from harming herself further. All this to say, your best bet is to come to a solution with the tenant and work it out in hopes of a favorable outcome, however difficult it may be.

  • Developer · Asheville, NC · Member since 2020 · 37 posts · 37 votes
    5y

    @Mario Valenzuela Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. The FHA laws are the same for all states as far as I understand - legal addicts are actually a protected class. I will have to get creative and hope she is at least somewhat cooperative.

  • Member since 2021 · 17 posts · 14 votes
    5y

    Yeah definitely the same here, but I think that if she were to get arrested on the premises, harm someone else or damage the property, even if due to the legal addiction you could then take action. But it does seem she is protected on that front. Hope all the best to you sir, please let us know how things turn out and what you did.
    Thanks!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.