how to evict tenant after tenant applied bankrupty

how to evict tenant after tenant applied bankrupty

Member since 2021 · 9 posts · 0 votes

I applied eviction to my tenant last september and got judgement from court and set up a moving date. she applied bankrupty beofre moving. what can i do next step?

0Reply
46 views

Most Popular Reply

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
5y

The end of December has come and gone so you should be able to evict. I would contact the court and ask if they can execute the eviction. Getting her out of the home shouldn't be affected by the bankruptcy.

The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    5y

    If it's a Chapter 7 bankruptcy, the Tenant's assets will be liquidated and applied towards debts. They probably don't have much in the way of assets, so you're probably out of luck.

    If it's a Chapter 13 bankruptcy, they will set up a payment plan to pay off debts over a three-year period. That's your best option for collecting.

    That's my understanding but I'm not an expert on it.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Member since 2021 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    How can I get my property back in the following? I need kick her out asap. It is said it needs time eviction once tenant claim bankrupty. Thank you for your help.

  • Bill HamptonBusiness Member
    Accredited Investment Fiduciary, AIF®, Financial Planner, Tax Strategist, Real Estate Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 977 votes
    5y

    Speak with an eviction attorney. 

    Good luck. 

    Hampton Tax and Financial Services LLC4.7106 Reviews
  • Member since 2021 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    Do you have any suggestion about the eviction attorny? who can do the case?

  • Investor · Indianapolis · Member since 2021 · 10 posts · 4 votes
    5y

    You are talking to national website. Each state is Different. 

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    5y

    If you were awarded the eviction through the court and a move-out date was set, that should still be valid. Can you give us more information? Where is this property located? What is the scheduled move-out date? Has it been assigned to the Sheriff to ensure the tenant has vacated?

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Member since 2021 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Nathan Gesner:

    If you were awarded the eviction through the court and a move-out date was set, that should still be valid. Can you give us more information? Where is this property located? What is the scheduled move-out date? Has it been assigned to the Sheriff to ensure the tenant has vacated?

    Yes the judgment set a move-out date which is September 18,2020 but not been assigned to the sheriff But CDC Order stopped eviction. I have to wait until end of the December which is supposed  to end. On last September I pleased a attorney to collect rent and court also gave the judgment which will garnish tenant wages on November. On December 3rd court sent a letter saying that the tenant applied bankruptcy. And I got notice of her bankruptcy which dates there will be meetings of creditors when is January 19th 9:10am. I like to know if eviction still active to kick tenant out after CDC Order expired. 

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    5y

    The end of December has come and gone so you should be able to evict. I would contact the court and ask if they can execute the eviction. Getting her out of the home shouldn't be affected by the bankruptcy.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Member since 2021 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Nathan Gesner:

    The end of December has come and gone so you should be able to evict. I would contact the court and ask if they can execute the eviction. Getting her out of the home shouldn't be affected by the bankruptcy.

     Thank you so much. Please email me to discuss in details.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Quan Yuan:

    Quan, I only know what you've shared. I'm not an expert on your court system and I don't have the documents in front of me to see what the court told you. You should contact an attorney immediately and get this resolved.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Member since 2021 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    My eviction company told me that I have to REMOVE THE BANKRUPTCY FROM HOLDING THE EVICTION CASE. THE PROCESS IS CALL LIFT OF STAY OF BANKRUPTCY. that means if tenant files bankruptcy my eviction case is hold on until the bankruptcy case is over and it needs at least 6-7 months. If I hope to get tenant out I have to find attorney to lift the stay of bankruptcy 

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    5y

    If you have a company handling the eviction, they should know.  However, possession of the property should not be affected by the bankruptcy (I'm not an expert).  You getting paid the outstanding rent WILL be affected by that; but you should still be able to get her out of the house.

  • Member since 2021 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    my eviction company said bankrupty hold on my eviction until the bankrupty case is over which needs at least 6-7months. If I need get tenant out I have to hire a attorney to remove of bankrupty from eviction that is called  lift the stay of bankrupty. I don't know if it needs lift the stay of bankrupty before I can evict. 

  • Member since 2018 · 46 posts · 19 votes
    5y

    Quan, you need competent legal help, sounds like your eviction company punted.  You will have to interview a few firms locally to get the help you need.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.