Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Jason P.
  • Investor
  • Bay Area
Votes |
Bought my first rental unit

Jason P.
  • Investor
  • Bay Area
Posted

So I purchased a rented duplex out of state. Found it on Zillow of all places. Paid $16,000 cash for the duplex with tenants paying $550 and $600.

My question is the Zillow listing said that tenants pay all utilities. Come to find out they only pay electricity. I reached out to real estate agent to find more info like if they just added it to the rents?

What would be your suggestion if I don’t hear back from the agent since deal is done

User Stats

Votes
Replied

@Jason P. what did you due for your due diligence. Did you get an estoppel cert from the tenants and landlord. Did you call the utilities in that area to verify that the tenants pay the utilities. It looks like you own a property that the landlord pays the utilities.

User Stats

Votes
Jason P.
  • Investor
  • Bay Area
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Bay Area
Replied

@David A. Nope. $16,000. Got a steal

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jason P.
  • Investor
  • Bay Area
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Bay Area
Replied

@Tim Herman no I didn’t. I asked about the deposit and got it credited at closing. I didn’t think to ask about utilities since it said those were paid for by tenants On Zillow. (One of many mistakes in sure) It was posted for less than an hour and Zillow showed 12 saves and 100 views so I said I’d buy it contingent on inspection. One of the things the old man was gonna clean out the garage which is full of crap and I told him leave it and I’ll do it. He accepted my offer and I sent my $1000 to escrow. The inspection report came back great. So I wired the $15,000 to escrow.

Got the keys and got a dumpster and a few guys to clean the garage for $450

User Stats

Votes
Cesar Campana
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Melbourne, FL
Votes |
  • Melbourne, FL
Replied

@Jason P. Nice price. Where did you buy it?

User Stats

Votes
Jason P.
  • Investor
  • Bay Area
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Bay Area
Replied

@Cesar Campana in Bolingbrook il

User Stats

Votes
Marco Anemone
  • Bolingbrook Illinois
Votes |
  • Bolingbrook Illinois
Replied

@Jason P., did you close at a title company? Did you hire an attorney? Do due diligence? Something sounds completely off. I live in Bolingbrook and I invest heavily in Bolingbrook, both flips and buy-and-hold to rent. Ifyou purchase a duplex for 16k and it's free and clear of any underlying lien's then it is a remarkable deal to say the least. I just find it difficult to believe. That said, I hope that my gut feeling is wrong.

User Stats

Votes
Alexander Szikla
  • Real Estate Agent
  • New York City
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • New York City
Replied

Unfortunately, you are stuck. This should have been covered during due diligence. Did you hire an inspector? Did he/she note it? I would potentially reach out to him if it was a failure on his/her part? 

You can also review the contract to see if the seller made any representations just in case!

However, it seems like you got a great deal. So now you can determine whether separating out the utilities are worth it or not. Will likely cost you something between $4k and $8k. If each tenant racks up a $40 to $80 electric bill per month, that is a return of 12% to 48% depending on where things shake out - so I would certainly consider it. It may also increase your valuation come refi. 

User Stats

Votes
Jason P.
  • Investor
  • Bay Area
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Bay Area
Replied

@Marco Anemone Nice. My FIL is in Bolingbrook so I was looking around there and as far as joliet.

Yes I used a reputable title company. No lawyers. I did my due diligence after I got it under contract and gave myself some outs. I wanted to lock it up and figured I could take a chance on $1000.

I thought it was too good to be true. The old guy had it listed at a high price for several months and he slashed it. I was the first to go look at it. Guy was in his 80’s and didn’t want the hassle. I think he didn’t like his real estate agent and wanted to screw them on commission. He thought they were trying to rip him off.

I was at the right place at the right time. Only thing I didn’t realize was I had to pay water, I didn’t think to ask since it said tenants pay all utilities.

User Stats

Votes
Jason P.
  • Investor
  • Bay Area
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Bay Area
Replied

@Alexander Szikla it’s just the water which I guess over there includes sewer and garbage. I was wrong. It’s got two gas and electric meters. I went back to my inspection report

User Stats

Votes
Alexander Szikla
  • Real Estate Agent
  • New York City
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • New York City
Replied

Gotchya, yes - Unlikely that water is worth separating and it isn't customary. Although, I've seen it done. 

Let me know if you have any other questions or real estate needs. I'm always happy to help!

User Stats

Votes
Tommy Adeoye
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied

@Jason P.  I hope this doesn't come up the wrong way. You can get creative with utilities whether or not tenant pays  . Honestly, you are better off just saving up your energy towards finding the next best deal.

No, I am not trying to undermine your situation in anyway.  worst case scenario (minus $250 for utilities) cash flow for the duration of the tenant's lease? You are sitting on a pile of gold if this indeed the case for you. One clue, if current lease does not include utilities, next tenant may have their utilities covered . Unless I may have misunderstood you completely, I think you are in a better position.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Noto
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Southington, CT
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Southington, CT
Replied

*every out of state investor googling Bolingbrook, IL right now*

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Darius Ogloza
  • Investor
  • Marin County California
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Marin County California
Replied

There used to be a big indoor mall out there when I was a kid.  I saw The Jam play there in the late 1970's.  

User Stats

Votes
Donald N.
  • Northlake, IL
Votes |
  • Northlake, IL
Replied

@Jason P. That's great 16, 000 in Bolingbrook that's unheard of I live near Bolingbrook and been looking for a single family homes there. You got a great deal .

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
#2 Innovative Strategies Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied

@Jason P. 16k I assume its is in a terrible neighborhood, and needs repairs ,  do you have  any experience in that area ?  Also why are you buying props out of state without a team, HUGE HUGE mistake. The realtor is NOT your " team " . Do not buy it without having people you trust look at it . 

Good Luck 

User Stats

Votes
Jason P.
  • Investor
  • Bay Area
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Bay Area
Replied

@Bob Stevens it is fully rented. Newer furnace and roof. Missing one piece of siding that is maybe a foot long and easy to repair. It could use some new linoleum floor in the bathroom.

My father in law got me the property manager.

User Stats

Votes
Dale Nesmith
Votes |
Replied

@Bob Stevens

Bolingbrook is a decent working class outer suburb of Chicago.

User Stats

Votes
Aigo Pyles
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Memphis, TN
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Memphis, TN
Replied

It seems you have a great deal for $16,000

User Stats

Votes
Diana Costta
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied

Usually, on the listings, it is stated how many meters are per unit so then you get an idea if the tenants are responsible for their own or landlord should pay for it. As for your agent, they live for referrals, you can leave a review of your experience on the net. if he's paying attention he will reach out. Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Jason P.
  • Investor
  • Bay Area
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Bay Area
Replied

@Diana Costta thanks. On the listing I didn’t see anything about the metered. Just said tenants paid all utilities. But I got a great deal I’m just gonna drop it. I already bought the property so I doubt there is anything they can really do.

But thanks for everyone’s help.

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied

@Dale Nesmith hmm, 16k is very cheap, all in 16k, zero repairs,,,,,,,,

User Stats

Votes
Dale Nesmith
Votes |
Replied

@Bob Stevens

That’s a helluva deal there out there. That would sound like a tax sale price.

I looked yesterday and didn't see any multi-family and cheapest SFH started at just under $160k. So, a MF there for$16k is a steal.

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Jason P.
  • Investor
  • Bay Area
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Bay Area
Replied

@Bob Stevens if I loose a tenant the linoleum floors need to be replaced. But that was the only other “big” thing that needed to be done. I told the tenants if they want that done they could do it and I’d pay for materials.