Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Patrick G.
  • Abingdon, MD
Votes |
Home Warranty instead of a Property Manager?

Patrick G.
  • Abingdon, MD
Posted Nov 11 2020, 05:10

I still have not pulled the trigger on my first real estate investment. I recently had lunch with a buddy who is a Realtor and owns a few properties he rents.  We were talking shop, I mentioned I would 100% need a Property Manager, as I am not in a position to take calls about clogged toilets and such. 

He said for one property, don't use a property manager, just purchase a Home warranty, and give the tenant the repair number.  Like "Don't call me, call this number."  He said the service is like a maintenance portion of a property manager, where they contract with various trades such as electricians, plumbers, carpenters, etc. and send out whoever is needed.  Often they respond in 24-48 hours. 

It sounded too good to be true.  I tried to think of a situation that his theory would fall apart.  The best I could come up with is burnt out light bulbs, this repair service isn't going to want to come out for trivial stuff, that a normal homeowner would take care of, but a tenant might feel entitled too.  I don't want to pay $150 to have a light bulb changed.  He said you just write a clause into the lease about normal maintenance items such as light bulbs, items with batteries etc. 

It seemed pretty iron-clad but still sounds too good to be true.  The maintenance/repair part is really the only service of a property manager that I just don't want to deal with. I don't mind screening tenants and dealing with contracts, etc. 

Has anyone done this before? Is it crazy, am I missing some reason why this wouldn't work? 

Thanks

Loading replies...