Architect · Spokane, WA · Member since 2020 · 15 posts · 11 votes
Hello BP community! It's my first post, but it won't be my last.
I just bought my first duplex property and against all advice decided to keep the old tenants... It is now 4 days after the first rent payment was due, where I asked for first and last month's rent. The boyfriend, who earns most of their income, has been "missing" for a few days, and the girlfriend is concerned he could be in trouble. We've just signed the 12-month lease and the only thing I've received is a security deposit. Would you have a conversation with the girlfriend about how she might be able to make ends meet or just send the Notice of Noncompliance and get them out on day 5? Is going through the eviction process really the best way, or is there another way I could remove and replace them that won't involve lawers and other financial and mental stress?
I'm looking forward to seeing your responses. Thanks!
Rental Property Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2020 · 540 posts · 285 votes
6y
@Matthew Sprott
“Train your Tenants”. Start documenting it in writing. Email on the same chain and be firm but not threatening. If there’s no payment by the end of the month try a Cash for Keys to get them gone
Rental Property Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2020 · 540 posts · 285 votes
6y
@Matthew Sprott
“Train your Tenants”. Start documenting it in writing. Email on the same chain and be firm but not threatening. If there’s no payment by the end of the month try a Cash for Keys to get them gone
File an eviction. Every day you wait is another day you'll regret later. If they get stuff figured out you can always drop it. I've never had good luck with inherited tenants and would prefer to get a new property vacant. Be clear and firm with your exceptions and the tenants financial responsibilities. If you bend on this issue you'll never hear the end of it.
Architect · Spokane, WA · Member since 2020 · 15 posts · 11 votes
6y
Thanks, everybody for the advice. For an update on the situation see below:
I've been in touch with my lawyer and have now learned of the extremely difficult situation I am in. I cannot evict because of COVID regardless of their fixed income stream. I'll be sending them an Invitation to Repayment Plan Monday (tomorrow) that will outline the amount owed over the next 3 months, which seems to be the standard timeline. It seems right now I have to essentially hope they pay... more to come this week.
Investor · Diamond Bar, CA · Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 10 votes
6y
I would talk to the girlfriend, offer her their security deposit back to cancel the lease. During this COVID19 time, if you play hardball with a tenant, you will be come out on the losing ends. If it was me, I will even offer her an extra couple hundred bucks as a incentive to move out in two or three days. Going through the eviction process will cost thousands and you can't even do it now. i will try to take the lost and move on. Sorry to hear you are in this tough situation
Investor · Colonial Heights, VA · Member since 2015 · 78 posts · 53 votes
6y
@Matthew Sprott Did the tenants give you a new security deposit when they signed the new 12 month lease or did the previous owner give you the tenants original security deposit. I have a feeling that if it is the latter then the tenants may not of been paying rent for a while and the previous owner decided to sell the property instead of waiting for the eviction process to resume. If that is the case then they will just ignore your repayment plan and you will be stuck until evictions resume.
Architect · Spokane, WA · Member since 2020 · 15 posts · 11 votes
6y
@Kwun Ho I forgot to mention that the boyfriend did return after a few days. They clearly dont have the money or dont plan on giving it to me so I will definitely explore this cash for keys option, but I'm not sure it will work... They have couches and beds a full house worth of items and no car to move it all. It's worth a shot though. If only they would respond to my texts/emails/phone calls.
@Sudhanshu Singha The deposit was transferred to me when I closed on the house through escrow. The past owner did however say they never had a late payment, not that I should have taken their word for it. I will try cash for keys.. after that I think I have to try the repayment plan and then eviction. What a mess.