Any advice on showing tenant-occupied property during COVID-19?

Any advice on showing tenant-occupied property during COVID-19?

Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 1 vote

Situation:

I own a single-family rental property in Dallas, Texas that is currently occupied by a tenant who is moving out. The current lease ends on May 31st, but the tenant has informed me that they’re moving out by the 18th. The lease allows me to show this tenant-occupied property to prospective tenants starting today.

Questions:

1. Under this scenario, would you just wait until they move out to reduce liability?

2. Are YOU waiting for tenants to move out before showing a property to reduce liability?

3. I’m wondering if anyone can share their strategies for safely showing tenant-occupied rentals during COVID-19.

0Reply
22 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Bellbrook, OH · Member since 2016 · 63 posts · 39 votes
    6y

    Hi Edgar, 

    I like the idea of reduced liability, personally. BUT I also like avoiding days of vacancy. If you are confident you can still rent it out in the 13 days after they move out, then that seems like a good option.

    I was in a similar situation. I had 3 leases turning over on May 31 and I used this process:

    - Coordinated with the current residents to have a video walk-thru of the unit recorded.

    - Send the video to all interested parties and encourage them because of COVID to make a decision based on the video.

    - If a qualified applicant on the waitlist is ready to sign but won't sign without a showing, I coordinate to have the residents prep for showing. I required the prospective tenants to wear a mask during the showing.

  • Rental Property Investor · Winona, MN · Member since 2018 · 87 posts · 90 votes
    6y

    @Edgar Sanchez, I have been showing my SFR that is occupied until 5/31/20.

    Here is what I did: 1) screened interested parties heavily prior to inviting them to see it. 2) took my husband with to the showing... so he could wait outside for the next party (I schedule my appointments to show my units every 30 minutes). 3) I attached this message to their appointment invitation: “Out of respect for the current tenant (due to the Covid-19 situation), would it be possible for you to come without children & wear a face mask?” — no one had a problem with this and everyone complied. 4) I told them upon entering that I would open/touch all doors, drawers, closets, light switches, etc... so as to minimize surface contamination.

    The only thing I might do next time is bring a bottle of hand soap and paper towels and ask them to wash their hands upon entering.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Memphis, TN · Member since 2020 · 758 posts · 285 votes
    6y

    You can show the property virtually. Use 360 camera. You can upload it through facebook or through youtube then send out the links to interested parties. Investing in equipment like that (360 camera) is a big help especially these days and we don't know when this virus will be contained. 

  • Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    @Brandon Sok

    Thanks for your advice, very helpful. Very good ideas.

  • Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    @Heather Schmidtknecht @Aigo Pyles

    Thank you for your advice. Those are great ideas that we will incorporate.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.