Can you rent out individual rooms in a SFR?

Can you rent out individual rooms in a SFR?

Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 172 posts · 58 votes

Are you able to, legally and ethically, rent out individual rooms in a Single Family Residential house to people? I don't see why not but have heard somewhere that you can't. I don't mean friends or family who all move in together and take separate rooms, who are all part of the same lease. I mean a separate lease for each person, so that you can rent out individual rooms as opposed to having to rent out the whole house at once. If possible, this could lead to the ability to house-hack a SFR where you live in one of the rooms and rent out each of the other bedrooms to different people, and the common areas are shared (kitchen, family room, etc.).

0Reply
8 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Valdosta, GA · Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Ben Feder

    I don’t see why not. There’s no problem with having roommates, although I think there’s a certain limit. I think 3-4 or something like that. Depends on the area.

  • Valdosta, GA · Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Ben Feder

    That’s me with the assumption you’re living in the home. Idk if there’s a difference if you’re not an owner occupant.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.