Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Barbara S.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • NYC, NY
Votes |
Tenant leaves front door open

Barbara S.
  • NYC, NY
Posted

I don't know what to do. I have a tenant that keeps the front door to my 3 family investment property open all the time. Every time I go there, the door is unlocked or not pushed shut. I confront him all the time on this and he says it isn’t him, even when I have witnessed it with my own eyes. I have asked, begged and yelled about the safety situation and he just doesn’t care. What can I do? 

User Stats

Votes
Jermaine Chad Ingram
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Fort Pierce, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Fort Pierce, FL
Replied

@Barbara S. Evict him. Think of your other residents. You are now liable, because you know.

If someone is raped or assaulted they can and should come after you and everything you own.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Chrebet
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied

@Barbara S. You could buy a wyze camera from Amazon for $26 bucks, stick it to the exterior wall assuming you have electricity and wifi, and then you get a 13 second clip anytime there's motion at the doorway.

I used this to figure out which dog was responsible for poop all over a multifamily backyard.

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Michele V.
  • Investor
  • Miami, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Miami, FL
Replied

If the man is an on-going liability to your property and a danger to other tenants, it seems to me that putting something on the door to keep it from staying open is the least of your worries.  It is unfortunate, considering his age.  But I would recommend that you focus your attention, energy and money on getting him out of there. 

User Stats

Votes
Barbara S.
  • NYC, NY
Votes |
  • NYC, NY
Replied

@Michele V., are you an attorney? How do I get him out? Every attorney I speak to in NYC tells me it is a lost cause.  Just keep raising his rent until he cannot afford to pay it. As long as he is paying rent there is nothing I can do.

User Stats

Votes
Taylor Olson
  • Realtor
  • Fresno, CA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Fresno, CA
Replied

@Barbara S.is this door being left open causing a problem?

User Stats

Votes
Barbara S.
  • NYC, NY
Votes |
  • NYC, NY
Replied

@Taylor Olson, yes it is a safety concern for the other tenants.  The front door is common to the other units. One of the other tenants is my elderly mother who lives alone.  She has already been a victim to a push in robbery a couple years ago because of him, he was the intended target. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied

@Barbara S. Install a spring in the door. It closes it automatically

Account Closed
Votes |
Replied

Good news is he knows how to open the door to gtfo. Don’t let it hit ya sir. Next.

User Stats

Votes
Wendy S.
Pro Member
  • Ellenwood, GA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Ellenwood, GA
Replied

@Barbara S.

I've read your post and responses and emphasize with you. While you are clearly frustrated and understandably so, your situation is not as cut and dry of that of an ordinary landlord.

This is where you need to first be a caregiver, then landlord. Rather than focus on getting a lawyer, try finding some compassionate person, maybe from a nearby senior center or such and ask them to help you sit and talk with your tenant. Or see if you can find someone in his circle that he values and respect to serve the same role.

As someone in the senior homecare industry I can't tell you how often I've witnessed the effects of aging, the lack of control over one's inability to function independently, the fears whether realized or not that this population live with. Getting old is not for the faint of heart, even harder for those of us who have to interact with them.

During your mediation, find out if there is a work around to the keys, such as perhaps a coded door if this would work better for him. Or make him a gift of a key ring that would hold some sentimental value to him and then color code each of the 3 keys he needs for entry to the apartment and place on said keyring.

No amount of stronghold enforcement will work with him. You will have to go above and beyond to get through to him, by dialogue, compassion and understanding. You already know he fears being locked in or out, hence he leaves the door open.

As for the other issues, look at how you can rectify these as well. You mentioned his bathroom hasn't been cleaned in ages. What can you do to address this? He said the repair bill is too high, so he is at least aware that he should be responsible, this is a start.

While you do the above, see how best you can get a caseworker assigned to him, citing fear for his wellbeing, endangerment and safety of others, and see if you can help him to transition hopefully to his next place of abode.

It's not easy I know, I'm preaching to the choir.

User Stats

Votes
Russ B.
  • Investor
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied

Maybe install one of those RFID readers at the door along with the automatic closer, and give each tenant a key fob that opens it so there's no searching for keys. Then, set up an annoying alarm that starts beeping after it's been open more than 10 minutes. 

Also, give proper notice of the rent increase you've been attempting, and then don't accept partial rent after. If he tries to give you the old amount, refuse and give a notice. 

You can't treat him differently (including better) because of age.. That would be discrimination 🙂

User Stats

Votes
Anthony Estrada Jr.
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied

@Barbara S.

Honestly, just let him live. Try to stay as far from the property as you can. Out of sight, out of mind. The renter is already paying into your equity and this should be all that matters. Not sure if you have a property manager but, may you may want to invest in one if you have the means for a peace of mind.

V/respectfully,

Anthony

User Stats

Votes
Michael Noto
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Southington, CT
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Southington, CT
Replied

There is nothing you can do to stop what he is doing. His habits are 40 years in the making. Just go about the steps to evict him based on the advice of your attorney and go from there.

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Replied

Chances are the tenant just wants more air flow through the place. You could install a security screen door...

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Carroll
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Rosedale, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Rosedale, NY
Replied
@Barbara S. This is very difficult to do in NY. I once had an elderly tennant I tried to evict and it was a huge hassle. The tenant eventually had a stroke and was forced to live in a facility.

User Stats

Votes
Replied

Perhaps you are not speaking with a lawyer who does this for a living.
Contact Robert Goldberg from Goldberg & Lindenberg, P.C.  He helped me with my tenant issues.  https://www.glnylaw.com/

User Stats

Votes
Replied
Quote from @Christine Kankowski:

Is it listed in the lease to keep it closed?  Could you have an automatic lock put in  with a self-closing hinge?well in the brainy dose world the door to your home when you pillbox shut to the joi ING if the door and frame it is normal that you should be able to walk away and that door not open again until it is turned by know releasing it from frame with a slight push open rt? Not you close you door to your apartment pulling it shut and walk away and it doesn't latch to stay closed but slowly opens by itself fire is behind door get it fix your building s proper you slum bucket lzndlird looking for the next way to get more MO ey instead of even asking g if tenants are ok or the one that hd accidental fire chose to not even talk to her at all until he told me to get I strange then I could retrieve e some of my stuff and not even do that