Extremely arrogant and offensive tenant - how to deal?

Extremely arrogant and offensive tenant - how to deal?

Boston, MA · Member since 2011 · 23 posts · 0 votes

What is the correct way to deal with a tenant that gets extremely offensive in both emails and in person? Basically 2 out of the 3 people in the apartment act this way, 1 is much much worse.

He has not physically threatened (as he understands the consequences) but speaks with a demeaning, condescending and hateful manner every time, on email and in person.

Apparently if there is an issue, like a broken toilet chain or broken blind, instead of fixing it the same day the tenants report it, I get to it within 2 days, maybe 3. There are 2 full bathrooms in the apartment. None of these issues have been an emergency. They think I should fix it right away as if I sit on the porch waiting for something to occur.

In fact there was an emergency issue, where an ice maker line busted at 10pm, and they decided to email me instead of calling me. They called me at 8am the following day, by then there was a lot of damage to the drywall in the unit below. But I never said anything to them about their carelessness and negligence.

They have a lease until 8/31 and I have their last month's rent and security deposit. But he threatens to leave the place before then and wants his last month's rent and full security deposit back.

Also, what are the guidelines for entering the apartment for an inspection as a landlord/property manager living next door? I live in Massachusetts.

His manner when addressing me disturbs me the most. But they all pay the rent on time.

0Reply
108 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2009 · 89 posts · 44 votes
14y

Okay, so you've got an obnoxious %$#@!. They pay the rent on time. If they're not causing trouble to the other tenants, I leave them be. They're still a tenant and I'm still the owner who is getting rich off of them. All of the rudeness in the world doesn't change any of those facts.

Now, should you respond faster? Yes, at least a follow-up within 12 hours that you're aware of the issue and will fix it on x date at y time. Not an excuse for being a %$#@!, but I will say that your response could use a slight change. (If you're already doing this but didn't write about it, I apologize and withdraw the suggestion.)

Was it THEIR negligence that caused the break in the line? If so, I'd evict and take their entire security. If it wasn't their fault- they notified you. It may not have been how you liked, but they did notify you. That's not their problem.

You hold the cards with their deposit and rent. If you don't like them that much, don't renew their lease. If they leave early and there's a 1-year lease, you get free rent and potentially security (subject to state/local rules).

I don't know MA rules. Frankly, if you don't either, that's a MUCH bigger problem than anything you've mentioned here. I strongly recommend that you consult with a COMPETENT landlord/tenant attorney to learn the legal ropes. You'll be QUICKLY hung with those ropes if you don't know your local, county, state, and federal housing laws.

Sincerely,

Mike

See this reply in the discussion

33 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    14y

    One thing I have seen other landlords do is tell the former tenant if they come around or defame or bad mouth the development they will sue them for slander and libel and defamation of character.

    This usually gets the deadbeats to back off and get scared.

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    14y

    Obviously if they leave and never come back and then go tell others in general conversation and rent elsewhere then that is their opinion.

    However when they come back to your new renters and start saying false or misrepresented statements that affect your business that is a whole other ball game.

    This can be really bad if you own an apartment building.You want to nip this in the bud right away.

  • Lender · Tyngsboro, MA · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    14y

    Chootar Laal, you're in Boston, MA. Massachusetts is one of the most tenant friendly states in the US. You need to run, not walk, and talk to a landlord/tenant attorney, because penalties are steep if you don't handle it correctly, and he complains.

    Also, spend the few hundred bucks and do what the previous posted suggested, I think it was Michael, about sitting down with that attorney. Don't mess around with not knowing the laws in MA, it will cost you a bundle.

  • Boston, MA · Member since 2011 · 23 posts · 0 votes
    14y

    Ann,
    do you know any good lawyers in my area? Please let me know, thx.

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    14y
    Originally posted by Chootar Laal:
    Ann,
    do you know any good lawyers in my area? Please let me know, thx.

    See this other thread where Ann Bellamy mentioned somebody:
    http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/52/topics/76927-tenant-moved-out-left-property-behind?page=1#p453997

  • Akron, OH · Member since 2012 · 77 posts · 2 votes
    14y

    I once told a guy if he "f'ed" with me again, that he'd be wearing his b@lls as a necklace, but that was in my hothead younger years. I don't recommend it.

  • Lender · Tyngsboro, MA · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    14y

    In MA I recommend Alan Segal in Needham, MA, you can google him, and he'll show right at the top of the organic listings. I don't think I can post his contact info. If Alan can't help you, I have several other MA attorneys, PM me, and I'll send info.

  • Boston, MA · Member since 2011 · 23 posts · 0 votes
    14y

    Also, if a tenant of mine stays under 1 year do I need to pay interest on the security deposit? Anyone familiar with that part of the MA law?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.