Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Edita D.
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
best ways to advertise your property

Edita D.
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Posted

Hey guys! What's the best way to advertise your property? Some property mng companies claim craigslsit, others claim MLS... What's your experience with how the place got rented?
thx!

User Stats

Votes
Edward Hooks
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Castle Rock, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Castle Rock, CO
Replied

WE use VFLyer.com to develop the Ad Content, and blast it out to Rentals.com plus Hotpads.com, Zillow.com, Trulia.com and others but Our current trend for Ringing The Phone on SFH's DENVER AREA:
Rents above $1500/mo RENTALS.com,below $1500 CRAIGSLIST

User Stats

Votes
Edita D.
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Replied

Edward Hooks; thanks, Edward!!!
The MLS was praised by Re/Max PM I was considering to hire, but our property is only 745$/month. The other PM was claiming "there's no reason we can't get it rented within 30 days using craigslsit. If we can't do it within 30 days, we will advertise on MLS".
But it makes sense what you are saying. Thanks!!!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Greg B.
  • Homeowner
  • Burleson, TX
Votes |
  • Homeowner
  • Burleson, TX
Replied

I have developed an orchestrated method that has worked every time for me.

I have my business website URL that I post all the features, qualifications,lots of pictures, and contact information on. I have also included a sketch of the floorplan and room sizes. I also include a YouTube video of the interior and exterior.

I have a CL ad with the same exact info and a link to my business website. I can track hits to my website so I can experiment with keywords that will lead to more web traffic.

I have a "For Rent" sign in front yard with info box. The fliers in the box have the same exact info and a QR code linked to the YouTube video. I also tape a flier to the front window in case someone takes all the fliers.

I have my phone message match the features, qualifications, and info exactly as the other ads.

This consistent information across all mediums has led to having to speak to only prequalified applicants and reduces wasted time. The only cost incurred is having my business website which is only one of many that I have. $10/month for all of them.

Works for me. Your mileage may vary. Good luck.

User Stats

Votes
Mike Jakobczak
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Toronto, Ontario
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Toronto, Ontario
Replied

Craigslist should get you good traffic, but make sure you refresh the ad during busy times, morning and after work. Also put together a decent ad on there. Not just one or two lines. You want series renters to take your ad series, so make it worth there while by giving a decent idea plus lots of pics! Good Luck

User Stats

Votes
Edward Hooks
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Castle Rock, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Castle Rock, CO
Replied

I should NOTE, that I am not disrespecting the MLS, per se, but MetroLIST in Denver DOES NOT SUPPORT RENTALS - Do a Realtor.com search for Rentals in Denver and you get Zipppppoooo.

Like Greg we have a MAIN Site at ineedthishome.com where we do Youtube videos from up to 200 photos AND we maintain move properties from Featured (available) to Currently Unavailable with Lease Rate and Expected back to market date.

We capture quite a few tenant prospects that like us at showings of properties that are not exactly right - and frequently have a list of folks in mind when we are interviewing New Landlords.

As you may recall from the Awesome Conference Marketing Panel, We Lease and Manage Great Homes and are creating Raving Fans on both sides of the Leasing Table.

User Stats

Votes
Levi Goldberg
  • Real Estate Investor
  • New York City, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • New York City, NY
Replied

I'd say as long as you don't have an own website craigslist should be the way to go.

User Stats

Votes
Edward Hooks
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Castle Rock, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Castle Rock, CO
Replied
Originally posted by Mike Jakobczak:
Craigslist should get you good traffic, but make sure you refresh the ad during busy times, morning and after work. Also put together a decent ad on there. Not just one or two lines. You want series renters to take your ad series, so make it worth there while by giving a decent idea plus lots of pics! Good Luck

Not sure Time Matters that much, but you do want to refresh the ad within the Craigslist Posting limits so Browsers are not diving too deep to find you.

My last post to craigslist on Thursday at 10:35pm had a great contact by 11:36, but as Mike says content is king.

User Stats

Votes
Levi Goldberg
  • Real Estate Investor
  • New York City, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • New York City, NY
Replied

I agree!

User Stats

Votes
Greg B.
  • Homeowner
  • Burleson, TX
Votes |
  • Homeowner
  • Burleson, TX
Replied

I need to add that, from what I have learned, the quality of traffic from CL will vary with each market. My friends from the Phoenix area are not too keen on CL. I am in the DFW area and it's done alright by me.

User Stats

Votes
Kyle Meyers
  • Residential Landlord
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
  • Residential Landlord
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied

Depends on your area. My most recent rental was in a small town and I had very few leads from CL, much more interest from the sign in the yard. Post it everywhere you can for free to get as much traffic as you can. I also suggest having your own website, you can add floorplans, more pictures, videos, and anything else you want. Higher end rentals might lend to using the MLS, but again, it will depend on your market.

User Stats

Votes
Don Wede
  • Investor
  • Spring Valley, IL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Spring Valley, IL
Replied

I use these sites to post my properties:

Craigslist

Trulia

Facebook Marketplace

RealBird

CashHomeBuyerDirectory

Zillow

Have a good day :biggrin

User Stats

Votes
Michael Noto
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Southington, CT
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Southington, CT
Replied

@Edita D. In our area here in CT we find that posting on Zillow Rental Manager and Craigslist are the places we advertise that attract the most eyeballs. 

NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.