Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Andrea Ting
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
Water/sewer bill - what to do with it?

Andrea Ting
  • Philadelphia, PA
Posted Mar 26 2012, 20:23

Hi,

I'm just wondering what to do with water bill for rental properties. In case of duplexes or triplexes, should landlord pay the bill or should we install multiple water meters and let the tenants pay for themselves? I'm located in PA.

Thanks.

User Stats

Votes
Andy M.
  • Investor
  • Farmington, UT
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Farmington, UT
Replied Mar 26 2012, 20:26

I've done a couple things... I have some duplexes where I make both tenants contribute to the water bill, I have some where I just pay the whole thing. Depends on what you negotiate. In my are I have never heard of property owners of duplexes and triplexes sub metering water and sewer.

User Stats

Votes
Edward Hooks
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Castle Rock, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Castle Rock, CO
Replied Mar 26 2012, 20:35

I would first ask if the UnPaid Water Bill reverts to responsibility of TITLED OWNER. In my area the Electricity and Natural Gas are responsibility of tenant, but WATER tax stays with property owner.

We set new Landlords up with Owner Revert on utilities, to avoid reconnects and we request Landlord Copies of Water Bills. If tenant is not paying we want to know before they move out with a shut-off because municipal water looks to Landlord to pay or the next Tenant can't get service.

Individual Metering if practical (affordable) would be my choice, because all guess work is gone when bills go up. Having Water included to a certain amount could help in marketing without leaving you exposed to unreasonable usage. Estimating Delta's on seasons and tenant moves will no doubt provide a use of your time, but probably not Highest & Best Use of a most valuable asset.

Either-Way, The Tenant Must Pay ;-)

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Joel Owens
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Canton, GA
Votes |
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Canton, GA
ModeratorReplied Mar 26 2012, 23:41

I would offload all expenses onto the tenant.

Water has been referred to by my investor clients as "liquid GOLD".

If the landlord pays water the tenant NEVER tells you about leaks or the toilet running constantly etc. If the tenant has to pay the money you better believe they will tell you about it.The tenant also lets their buddies come over to wash their cars,the tenants takes extra long showers,and also lets friends come over and run the washer and dryer constantly because their friends do not have a place to do clothes themselves.

I have also seen on a building before where the rent included the power bill.A tenant had the A/C on with setting at 60 and a blanket on themselves because they were cold.

So long story short you want the tenant to bare the burden of all utilities.

Trash can be included with apartments as that is simple.Utilities can eat a landlords cash flow ALIVE.

User Stats

Votes
Jason A.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • North Huntingdon, PA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • North Huntingdon, PA
Replied Mar 27 2012, 06:56

In some areas it is possible to sub-meter. They place a meter on each unit within the main. This makes it possible for tenants to pay their own bills. Also, if you are going to be paying the water, install low-flow aerators on the sinks and low-flow shower-heads on the showers. You could also place a brick in the back of the toilet tanks if they are the old high-volume flush style. This will save about a gallon per flush. Best of luck.

User Stats

Votes
Steve Babiak
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Replied Mar 27 2012, 08:51

In Philadelphia, both water and natural gas are lienable utilities - if the tenant fails to pay, the landlord can get stuck with the bill in the form of a lien.

In PA, regarding the arrangements that some mention they make with tenants to split up the bill - there are some court rulings that basically make those utility bills the landlord's responsibility anyway.
http://dornish.net/a-change-in-the-interpretatation-of-1529-1-of-the-public-utility-code-beneficial-to-landlords

And tenants are able to find this out too; see link here:
http://www.ourturn.net/utilities.php

Be careful how you have multiple meters set up. I was looking at buying a house once that had two water meters, but only one water line to the street - so only one shut-off valve for the water company to use in non-payment. Guess what the rest of the story goes like. Tenant in unit 1 pays in full and on time, but tenant in unit 2 is a deadbeat and doesn't pay; water company goes to the house and shuts off the water at the street - and now tenant in unit 1 is peeved when there is no water. Moral of the story is if you only have one shut-off, and you do sub-meter, then the landlord better be the one paying directly to the utility, and billing tenants by the readings on the sub-meters.

User Stats

Votes
Kyle Meyers
  • Residential Landlord
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
  • Residential Landlord
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Mar 27 2012, 09:17

I would try to sub-meter if possible. If the tenants pay for their usage, they are more in control of their bills. There are many sub-metering companies, contact a few to see what they can offer you. You also have to be sure the plumbing is completely separate between the units so one tenant isn't paying for another one's use.