Things to lookout for in a Subject 2 Deal?

Things to lookout for in a Subject 2 Deal?

Flipper/Rehabber · Augusta, GA · Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 2 votes

Hey BP Family,

I am an investor in the Augusta, GA area with 1 property currently. I'm looking to purchase another property and have come across a Subject 2 opportunity to take over the remaining loan balance from a Wholesaler and in return pay him a fee of $6k.  That said, this will be my first time doing a Subject 2 Deal and have done some research on it and have a pretty good understanding of what it entails but just wanted to know if anyone had some experience with it that could tell me somethings to look out for that I might be overlooking. There is already a current tenant in the rental doing month to month rent which covers the $500/month home loan + additional $250.  In addition I have seen the balance sheet for the loan and know how much is left for the balance. The closing will be done by an attorney and we are planning to close within the week. I spoke to the Wholesaler I am acquiring the deal from and told him the contract must include:

1. Me being added to the deed of the property

2. Having a clause where the mortgage owner is unable to use property on his taxes for write-offs

3. My payments are going directly to mortgage loan holder

4. I will purchase home loan insurance and add the current owner as an additional insured under my insurance

5. My address will be the forwarding address for escrow statements.

Aside from all this, is there anything i'm overlooking?

0Reply
36 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Northeast PA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
7y

A couple of thoughts:

1-- Add you to deed?  If you are taking the property sub-to, you want the deed out of the seller's name completely, not 'shared' with you.  You might consider having the title transferred by the seller into a viable trust, naming a trustee of your choosing.  With the property held in trust, you can take over a beneficiary role (and even trustee is you wish--no due on sale trigger.

2.  It's the person that actually pays the mortgage that can take the tax write-off.

3.  Correct

4.  Why name the seller as additional insured?  Check w your attorney.  And notify the bank of the new insurance policy--THEY will be listed on the binder.

5.  Correct

6.  MOST IMPORTANT:  Have your attorney prepare proper disclaimers and informed consent documents to be signed by the seller and notarized.  The seller MUST understand and agree to what you are doing, and their continuing liability on the existing mortgage.  You must make 100% sure your attorney knows this stuff and can perform as required.  

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Northeast PA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    A couple of thoughts:

    1-- Add you to deed?  If you are taking the property sub-to, you want the deed out of the seller's name completely, not 'shared' with you.  You might consider having the title transferred by the seller into a viable trust, naming a trustee of your choosing.  With the property held in trust, you can take over a beneficiary role (and even trustee is you wish--no due on sale trigger.

    2.  It's the person that actually pays the mortgage that can take the tax write-off.

    3.  Correct

    4.  Why name the seller as additional insured?  Check w your attorney.  And notify the bank of the new insurance policy--THEY will be listed on the binder.

    5.  Correct

    6.  MOST IMPORTANT:  Have your attorney prepare proper disclaimers and informed consent documents to be signed by the seller and notarized.  The seller MUST understand and agree to what you are doing, and their continuing liability on the existing mortgage.  You must make 100% sure your attorney knows this stuff and can perform as required.  

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Marc Winter:

    A couple of thoughts:

    1-- Add you to deed?  If you are taking the property sub-to, you want the deed out of the seller's name completely, not 'shared' with you.  You might consider having the title transferred by the seller into a viable trust, naming a trustee of your choosing.  With the property held in trust, you can take over a beneficiary role (and even trustee is you wish--no due on sale trigger.

    2.  It's the person that actually pays the mortgage that can take the tax write-off.

    3.  Correct

    4.  Why name the seller as additional insured?  Check w your attorney.  And notify the bank of the new insurance policy--THEY will be listed on the binder.

    5.  Correct

    6.  MOST IMPORTANT:  Have your attorney prepare proper disclaimers and informed consent documents to be signed by the seller and notarized.  The seller MUST understand and agree to what you are doing, and their continuing liability on the existing mortgage.  You must make 100% sure your attorney knows this stuff and can perform as required.  

    IN addition there is a pretty good chance this loan will get called.. if your do all of this informing the lender..  this is why sub too for long term buy hold is VERY risky to the seller..  and in this scenario were the buyer is putting up 6k plus closing costs if the loan gets called and its a GA loan it can go through the system and be on the courthouse steps in 6 months or less.

  • Rental Property Investor · Augusta, GA · Member since 2016 · 348 posts · 171 votes
    7y

    @Jay Hinrichs completely agree. This better be a really sweet deal. I recently came across one as well where the amount due was more than the actual value of the house....I’m in Augusta as well.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Augusta, GA · Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    Thanks guys for all your feedback!

    @Marc Winter the property is currently held by trust and I think what you described is definitely doable so thanks for the insight.  I have a lawyer that will be drawing up all the paperwork so I will speak with him about this mater.

    I will also follow-up with him about naming seller as additional insured. It was my understanding that per the mortgage paperwork the trust would have to be listed on their and not just my LLC as holders of the policy but I can verify with lawyer.

    @Kenneth Mooney I am trying to make sure that doesn't happen.  Over the longterm it is definitely a great deal, I just don't have the capital to purchase out right at the moment so was hoping to cash flow for at least 2 years then pay balance from there and look to flip or refinance once I've completed the payoff.

  • Rental Property Investor · Augusta, GA · Member since 2016 · 348 posts · 171 votes
    7y

    @Victor Umeh what is the ARV of house and how much is owed on loan?

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Augusta, GA · Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Kenneth Mooney ARV is about $100k. Remaining balance is $50k and paying $6k + $350 closing to get deal done. All in for about $56.5k and has a current tenant on a month to month lease paying $750/month. The loan payment is $509/month. Once the tenant moves out which might be soon will have to replace the roof, flooring, do some paint and interior upgrades. Should run me about $12-15k for the updates. Will take the rent to $900/month after that though.

  • Rental Property Investor · Augusta, GA · Member since 2016 · 348 posts · 171 votes
    7y

    @Victor Umeh I'm assuming the ARV is $100k after those repairs? How many years is the loan for?

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Augusta, GA · Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Kenneth Mooney yes after the repairs.  I'm not sure on the years for the loan.  Haven't seen the full statement but I plan to pay off early.  Would probably dedicate the whole rental payment ($900/month) to paying the mortgage just to get it paid off.  I work fulltime as well so could use this as a tax write-off to offset my corporate income and flips I'm doing elsewhere in Augusta.

  • las vegas · Member since 2019 · 26 posts · 11 votes
    7y

    @Marc Winter do u take subject 2 and then lease option , or do u usually take subject 2 and sell on land contract

  • Wholesaler · Augusta, GA · Member since 2016 · 15 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    Definitely make sure the deed is completely in your name and not that you are just added to it. Also a lease option may be something you want to consider too.

  • Real Estate Broker · Northeast PA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Alex Mikhals

    Subject to-- prefer lease/optiion.  I'm not a fan of land contract unless there is hefty cash down.

  • Real Estate Investor · Northeast TN, TN · Member since 2008 · 516 posts · 361 votes
    7y

    @Victor Umeh, I think you should definitely have the current mortgagor listed on the insurance policy UNLESS the current policy doesn't include him/her.  Since the property is already in a trust the policy may be in the name of the trustee - as it should be.  Since the property is already in a trust, have you considered simply buying the beneficial interest?  That's the beauty of using trusts for real estate transactions.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Augusta, GA · Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Bill Walston how does "buying the beneficial interest" work?

  • Specialist · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2011 · 32 posts · 15 votes
    7y

    You need to completely switch the deed into your LLC using a title company. You are not added to it. Do not do a land contract. Do an actual Subject 2 where it is completely switched to your LLC.

    I write a letter to their mortgage company and state that the payments will be made via an LLC due to it being a rental. I do this to give them a heads up to a name change in the payor.

    Insurance companies require that the mortgage holder owns the insurance. I have them keep the insurance but I again, write a letter to their insurance company stating that an LLC will be issuing the check.

    They still get all tax benefits of the mortgage.

    There are many other things we do but the most important is having the proper paperwork in order to protect your interest.

    If you have any questions, let me know.  I own an 8 figure portfolio including commercial and residential.

  • Rental Property Investor · Closter, NJ · Member since 2015 · 884 posts · 722 votes
    7y

    The Belligerent Tenant contacted me yesterday. He asked me for another copy of the Renewal Letter (he "lost" the original). Says he will sign the renewal, pay the higher rent and will stay for another year. AND, he was actually NICE about it! I assume he was unable to find a comparable one-bedroom apartment at such a good price.

    Landlord = 1

    Tenant = 0

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.