Tenant conflict with water lateral line replacement.

Tenant conflict with water lateral line replacement.

Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 2 votes

The city is replacing the main water line at one of our single family rentals. We have the option of paying the full cost of replacing the lateral line from the new water main to our house for $1700 while the city is undertaking the main replacement  

    The water lines in our city have an exterior coating of lead. Because of this our tenant is upset and wants the line to the house replaced.  The lines have a protective coating  internally, it has never caused any health problems in our city that I’m aware of. If I was living in this house, I wouldn’t replace this lateral line as the health risk is so minimal, however I don’t want to open myself up to any future litigation on “phantom” health problems the tenant would claim.   Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks 

0Reply
12 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    7y

    Why not have the water tested after the city replaced the main line and show the report to the tenant. You could also offer to put in a water filter under the main sink and let tenant be responsible for changing the filters.

    Another option is to get someone else to replace your water line at a much lower cost.

    I have had my handyman rent a ditch witch or even hand did short water lines and replace with PEX for maybe $500. You could do this right before the city does there part and let them make the final connection to the meter.

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    7y

    Sorry looked like it hadn't posted.

  • Rental Property Investor · Indiana...mostly · Member since 2019 · 468 posts · 245 votes
    7y

    I'm risk averse.  YMMV. Since the tenant is aware and complaining I would lean towards replacing it, especially if this is a possible sue-happy tenant or if this is an awesome tenant I want to keep happy.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.