How to keep tenant and still make major repairs and renovations

How to keep tenant and still make major repairs and renovations

Rental Property Investor · Saratoga Springs, NY · Member since 2010 · 19 posts · 3 votes

I have a house I purchased with a tenant who hasn’t had much of a rent increase in the past 10 years. Nor has there been much in the way of upkeep or renovations in her apartment so it's outdated. Her current rent is at about $125-$150 below the average local market rate. Clearly I want to correct this.

Some major cleaning, painting, repairs, and renovations are necessary in order to make the apartment competitive. The tenant has no lease so I know that I can ask her to move and that would be my solution. Except that I’m toying with the idea of asking her to stay. She’s quiet (at bit messy with cats but nothing out of control), pays her rent on time, and if she were to look for another apartment to rent in the area I don’t see how she would find one that is priced better and comparable to what I offer once I make all the necessary changes.

My options (as I see them) are to start over with a new tenant. Meaning complete cleaning and painting in addition to the repairs and renovations. 

Or keep new tenant and offer to upgrade appliances, make necessary repairs, replace windows, and some painting. SOME. 

The trick is that I would need her to move out for a certain period of time (perhaps as much as a week) before I begin work. The bathroom floor repair and window replacement alone means she won't have access to the bathroom and her cats would be in the way. 

I’m trying to think up of creative solutions to work around this.

I always prefer to keep a good tenant if at all possible.

Any ideas?

0Reply
45 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Northeast PA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
7y

In my experience, a bathroom floor, even stripped down to the joists with new subfloor and floor covering shouldn't take more than a day or 1.5 days.  (Average 5x8 bath).  By the end of day one, you can have the toilet reinstalled and finish up after that.  Painting can be done room by room over time.

Most importantly, let the tenant know that with the improvements you will be raising the rent $xxx/per month.  You might be surprised that the tenant doesn't want the 'upgrades' if it means a rent raise.  

BTW, IMHO, replacing vinyl sheet floor covering with ceramic is an upgrade; replacing a rotted bathroom floor, or painting when it's needed are NOT upgrades--they are basic maintenance issues.

Good luck with the cat lady.

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Northeast PA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    In my experience, a bathroom floor, even stripped down to the joists with new subfloor and floor covering shouldn't take more than a day or 1.5 days.  (Average 5x8 bath).  By the end of day one, you can have the toilet reinstalled and finish up after that.  Painting can be done room by room over time.

    Most importantly, let the tenant know that with the improvements you will be raising the rent $xxx/per month.  You might be surprised that the tenant doesn't want the 'upgrades' if it means a rent raise.  

    BTW, IMHO, replacing vinyl sheet floor covering with ceramic is an upgrade; replacing a rotted bathroom floor, or painting when it's needed are NOT upgrades--they are basic maintenance issues.

    Good luck with the cat lady.

  • Real Estate Broker · Boston, MA · Member since 2017 · 55 posts · 22 votes
    7y

    I would just raise the rent $75- 100 and do no do repairs/upgrades.  I would let her know that due to the increase in over head bla bla that you have to raise the rent and it will still be under the area market rent.  

    In my experience most tenants do not want to move and fork over  more money for moving cost etc.  In Massachusetts the move in cost is usually 3 times the rent.  First, last and security, not sure what it is in your state. Either way moving cost money.  Nothing is impossible but doing a remodeling project in an occupied apartment is a hack job at best from my experience as a land lord. (2004-Present). 

    In my opinion just keep collecting the rent and put the rehab money aside for now. 

    Hope this idea helps

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y

    I would make repairs that are necessary , I wouldnt make renovations that are not . Raise the rent to just a little below market .  

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    7y

    I'm guessing the house has one bathroom.  Find out if she's going to be out of town for a few days as that would be the best time to do it.  If not, ask if she has a friend she can stay with while you repair the bathroom floor as the bathroom won't be usable.

    Are you basing the market value for rent on the current condition or updated condition?  I'd do the repairs that are needed and hold off on the upgrades and painting.  How much will all the upgrades cost and how long would it take to recoup?  You can still increase the rent a bit, but I doubt the amount you'd spend updating plus loss of rent and perhaps a vacancy would balance the increased rents in the short term.

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    7y

    Necessary repairs only, no renovations and no replacement of anything that is still working. Your plans to spend money is a waste of money when you already have a paying tennat in place. Yu raise the rent to market an leave the place as is. It will be her option then to stay or go. If she leaves you then do reno work.

    Remember you are not in business to spend money you want to make money to do that you leave good paying tenants alone.

    If it ain't broke don't fix it. 

  • Rental Property Investor · TN · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    If she has been there for ten years, I'd talk with her and tell her the things that need to be repaired and that those things must be done.  Then I would discuss things that could be done as upgrades if she wanted them to be done.

    Discuss how these things could be done with her still there.  Maybe set up one room like her bedroom with a locking door knob so that she can put kitties and 'stay out of this stuff' in there and feel save while you work 9 to 5 each day.  When her bedroom must be done, then put the lockable knob on another room, maybe the bathroom then or a closet that kitties and valuable stuff could stay in for the day.

    Or you could ask her to let kitties stay at the kennel or a friends while you work for a week and she go to a friend or vacation, give her rent credit for that time so she has $ to pay for what she needs.  In return she moves clutter from where you need access to work.

    And then let her know what market based rent is and what you will be charging her for the next year.  Let her know that you will be doing a small rent increase each year.

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y

    @Armando Morales raise rent 50 bucks and do nothing. You’ll make more money this way. When the tenant leaves do renovations and up rent the rest of the way. Never make a good tenant leave

  • Rental Property Investor · Saratoga Springs, NY · Member since 2010 · 19 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    @Marc Winter You make an excellent point on the distinction between repairs and upgrades as well as the time necessary to make them. I may be able to pull this off without the lose of the months rent. Thanks for your input. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Saratoga Springs, NY · Member since 2010 · 19 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    @Ilidio Cardoso Very valid point. Moving is an expense and hassle. I still need to make those repairs but you've given me confidence to go through with my initial plan. I appreciate you responding. Thanks. 

  • Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    I have a slightly different take than some, and that is to calculate the cost benefit to decide if certain upgrades make sense. I do this for anything that is a questionable repair. Certainly, the "don't fix it if it aint broke" strategy is always the foundation of everything however, there are also times when it makes financial sense to invest in upgrades. I also subscribe to the "keep a long term tenant right where they are" but again, sometimes that doesn't make sense either. A great question to ask is "how will I feel about this decision 5 years from now?"

    People here are talking about the difference between a repair and an upgrade and I think that's a great point to make. How about when a necessary repair is an over-improvement? LOL 

    Anywhos...add it all up and out. $1500-$1800 a year is a pretty nice chunk of change in my book.

    For instance, in the last property I just did, I calculated the cost of swapping out the doors and trim in a unit that were painted and not working very well. While it would have been a substantial cost up-front, it would have made a considerable amount of money in the long term, simply in terms of routine maintenance and return in higher rents. In addition, the property would have been worth a bit more (not too much), and significantly more marketable. The only reason I did not do it, is I ran out of money!!!

    So, there are a bunch of variables to factor in, but that's how I would approach the decision.

    As far as the tenant being in the unit, that is certainly a hassle and not ideal, but it is also not impossible to deal with. It comes down to coordination with the tenant and the workers. 

    Good luck!

  • Rental Property Investor · Saratoga Springs, NY · Member since 2010 · 19 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    @Matthew Paul This is actually very much along my line of thinking. Some repairs are necessary but going overboard isn't. Excellent. Thanks. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Saratoga Springs, NY · Member since 2010 · 19 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    @Theresa Harris It does has only one bathroom and I would think she'd be open to the idea of a very short temporary in the name of long neglected repairs.

    The apartment is entirely outdated so the new rents would reflect updated conditions. It is possible to scale down my initial plans for renovations and make due with repairs and possibly some painting. While I don't have a fixed number for the total cost of upgrades I'd agree with you that it certainly wouldn't be a short term gain. Great insight. Thank you. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Saratoga Springs, NY · Member since 2010 · 19 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    @Thomas S. I'm glad I asked because the consensus seems to be to keep the tenant in place. Thanks for your input. Greatly appreciated. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Saratoga Springs, NY · Member since 2010 · 19 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    @Account Closed You bring up some valid points. And I feel there are repairs that certainly need to be made but I can also be careful not to overextend myself with unnecessary fixes. Thanks for your input. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.