Self managing property from out of town-who has keys?

Self managing property from out of town-who has keys?

Cleveland Heights, OH · Member since 2017 · 18 posts · 2 votes

I am going to be moving out of state and plan to continue self managing my duplex.  For those who self manage from out of town:

How do you deal with simple repairs or maintenance things that need to be done?  I have someone lined up that will have a full set of keys to the property and will be the designated "in case of emergency" contact and I also have a few on call handymen, an HVAC guy, a plumber and an electrician.  However, I don't want to make the emergency contact come out to the house to grant access for small repairs or maintenance items when her only role in being there would be to open the door.

My initial thought was to install a smart lock box in a discrete location where I would be able to give out one time codes (so code would no longer work after job was complete), but I'm not sure the tenants would like the fact that there were keys to their house in a lockbox outside.  Is it reasonable to ask my tenants to be available to grant access for small things? I wouldn't expect them to take time off work or anything, just to let me know some times that work for them so that I can schedule at a time that would be convenient.  Obviously, I would have emergency person handle anything major. Tenants are all very responsible 30 something young professionals.

Would love to hear how other out-of-town self managers handle their basic maintenance requests.

0Reply
34 views

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · MN · Member since 2017 · 864 posts · 555 votes
    7y

    Yup! Do a lock box somewhere on the property, it is pretty standard.

  • Cleveland Heights, OH · Member since 2017 · 18 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Jake Stuttgen

    Good to know that lock boxes are common practice. Do you think it is worth it to do the smart lock box or just a standard one?

  • Rental Property Investor · MN · Member since 2017 · 864 posts · 555 votes
    7y

    Your choice I guess! A smart lock box sounds nice though!!

  • Rental Property Investor · The Vampire State · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    With a smart lock box don't you need wifi?  I would go low tech - less things that can fail.  Also, I would be a bit dubious having a lockbox that depends on a tenant's utility service, for a number of reasons.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    7y

    There are electronic locks that allow you to set multiple codes. Set one as your master, give one to the tenant, and then teach the tenant how to set additional codes for guests or contractors. If the place is vacant, your contractor can use the previous tenant code.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Cleveland Heights, OH · Member since 2017 · 18 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    Apparently they don't need wifi (I had the same thoughts about relying tenants service).  I thought about doing the individual locks, but that would only control the deadbolt and not the lock on the door knobs.  Plus, I would have to buy multiple.

    I am looking at doing something like this:

    https://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-Bluetooth-Mount...

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    Have a lock box but mostly have tenants provide access to their space. If something needs to be done you can have them arrange the time for it with the vendor.  Just letting a contractor into an occupied tenant space is a bit touchy for people.  That said if it is urgent and your emergency contact is on vacation you want something at the house so someone can get in. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Temecula, CA · Member since 2014 · 992 posts · 782 votes
    7y

    Typically, if a tenant has called for something to be repaired, they will be happy to try to be home . Most people would rather be home, than have a stranger come into their home.  Especially if they have pets, valuables, guns, etc. 

    Alternatively, have the tenants place a key in the lockbox when they are expecting someone, and remove it when the person is done.  This way it isn't always out there. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.