Asking for advice on taxes and accounting on one property.

Asking for advice on taxes and accounting on one property.

Rental Property Investor · Joplin, MO · Member since 2017 · 65 posts · 9 votes

Hello all,

I just closed on my first property (single-family home) in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and I will be managing the property myself. The tenant has lived there for five years and has been very reliable. The least appealing part of this whole process is the accounting and taxes. I am great with people and I enjoy making my own decisions in real estate investments, but numbers can overwhelm me. I have no idea where to start with tracking expenses and income and ensuring that I am properly preparing myself for tax season next year. Do you have any suggestions on articles that I can read or spreadsheets that I should use? I need to learn the basics of handling taxes so that I'll be prepared for tax season next year. I understand that there is landlord software available on the web, but $40/month for software would not make sense, seeing that I only own one property. Thanks for the help!

1Reply
7 views

Most Popular Reply

Flipper/Rehabber · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2016 · 153 posts · 84 votes
7y

@Corbin Jones

I only have one rents property as well and just use excel to track expenses. You want to track every expense associated with your management of the property. This includes miles you’re driving to and from the property. As the last post suggested work with your CPA (I recommend getting a CPA. You will get your money back on this investment). Good luck and congratulations on the first property!!

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · West Bend, WI · Member since 2015 · 931 posts · 598 votes
    7y

    with 1 property it would be pretty easy to do in a note book or on an Excel Spreadsheet, dont over think it, its not that complicated, as you get more properties, work with your CPA, use the Software they want you to use (Quick Books, Peachtree, ect) and have them teach you how to use it. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2016 · 153 posts · 84 votes
    7y

    @Corbin Jones

    I only have one rents property as well and just use excel to track expenses. You want to track every expense associated with your management of the property. This includes miles you’re driving to and from the property. As the last post suggested work with your CPA (I recommend getting a CPA. You will get your money back on this investment). Good luck and congratulations on the first property!!

  • Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y

    @Corbin Jones the easiest solution for one property is a seperate bank account. Use it to collect rent, pay your mortgage and for any other expenses. You should not mix your business with your personal funds anyway.

  • Brie SchmidtBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y
  • Daniel HymanBusiness Member
    CPA · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Corbin Jones

    No need to invest in software for one unit. A simple spreadsheet should do the trick. Once you start to scale up, then it makes sense to invest in a more sophisticated software.

    Congrats on the first purchase!

    My Online Accountant572 Reviews
  • Bill HamptonBusiness Member
    Accredited Investment Fiduciary, AIF®, Financial Planner, Tax Strategist, Real Estate Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 977 votes
    7y

    @Corbin Jones, 

    Congrats. 

    Definitely set up a business bank account as mentioned above.

    Zillow has a free spreadsheet for real estate investors. Search their website.

    Stessa dot com is a free real estate investor software option. Check it out.

    Good luck and let me know if I can be of assistance.

    Hampton Tax and Financial Services LLC4.7106 Reviews
  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    I’ve been using Quickbooks for a few years for a couple properties... but I’m not sure the cost/complexity is worthwhile. I’m going to give Cozy expenses a try this year -since I’m using Cozy for rent collection anyway.

  • Shawn AckermanPro Member
    Real Estate Entrepreneur · Mid West, East Coast · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Corbin Jones don't overthink it man.  Your gross rents collected minus your expenses will be your cash flow or taxable income.  With respect to what you can deduct consult a local CPA.  All the best to you man.  Always remember to persist and you will win.  

    Example:

    Gross Rent -$1000

    ____________________________

    Taxes - $100

    Insurance - $100

    Utility - $80

    Repairs - $200

    Mortgage - $300

    ______________________________

    Cash FLow - $120(Taxable) x 1 month - depending on what tax bracket you fall into the percentage this income is taxed will vary.  Simply continue this process month after month and add all of the cash flow up at the end of the year to see what you will be taxed on.  There are tons of deductions you can take in real estate.

    All the best.

  • Rental Property Investor · Joplin, MO · Member since 2017 · 65 posts · 9 votes
    7y

    @Brie Schmidt Thank you very much!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.