Real Estate Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2016 · 185 posts · 53 votes
Hey there,
I just put in a laundry room in one of my buildings and I'm wondering what people do with their quarters. I tried to deposit them at my local credit union, but they won't take rolled quarters and they want 8% to use their coin counter. Call me crazy but I really don't want to give a bank 8% of my laundry business for counting some coins.
Any thoughts on what I can do with the quarters? They're rolled and ready to be deposited :)
Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
7y
My bank has a coin machine and they don't charge me.
Check and see if any of your local banks have a coin sorter. You may need to open a checking account to not be charged a % (non-members of my bank have to pay a few percent to use their coin sorter).
I believe Coinstar (a popular coin-sorting company) doesn't charge fees when you convert your coin total to an Amazon gift card (as opposed to receiving cash which they charge a % for). If you're an active buyer on Amazon that can be considered as well.
Catskill, NY · Member since 2018 · 636 posts · 668 votes
7y
I agree with @Sylvia B. What bank does not accept cash? My local credit union stopped using the coin counter because it was getting broken every other day with people putting things other than coins in there, but they still accept rolled coins. You put your name/account number on the rolled coins and you can deposit them or trade them for bills.
Real Estate Agent · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2018 · 90 posts · 55 votes
7y
@Robert Lindsley
Get to know a local small bank, they barely have anything going on most of the time and would love to count your quarters for free. I know this personally growing up in a small town that has only two banks located in neighboring rural towns
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
7y
Find a new bank. I use a local credit union and they don't charge anything for their coin counter. In fact, they have almost no fees at all whereas Wells Fargo wanted to charge me over $500 to maintain the same number of accounts because they were business accounts. It's well worth it to shop around.
Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
7y
@Robert Lindsley some banks are no longer taking coins for free, including some larger chain banks. I would talk to the bank manager and explain, one of two things will happen:
1. Take my coins with no charge.
2. I will go to a different bank that values my business.
Banking is very competitive. Most banks want investors because of the deposit and loan business they can generate.
Real Estate Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2016 · 185 posts · 53 votes
7y
Thanks everybody for your thoughts. It sounds like the best option is to just find a new bank and open an account that accepts quarters (or play Mortal Kombat lol).