Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Mindy Jensen
  • BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host
  • Longmont, CO
Votes |
I think shower inserts instead of tile are fine, change my mind

Mindy Jensen
  • Longmont, CO
ModeratorPosted Jan 15 2019, 11:07

I see so many comments that tile showers are better than shower inserts.

For ease of installation as well as cleaning and mold/mildew resistance, I like a shower insert better. While I'm taking a shower, I don't look around and think, "oh, it's just an insert, that's bad."

Why do people like tiled showers better, and does anyone have any recommendations for a tile-look shower insert? 

User Stats

Votes
Brian Pulaski
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Montgomery, NY
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Montgomery, NY
Replied Jan 15 2019, 11:16

I think it boils down to the look. A tiled shower looks more upscale/custom. I have always done tiled showers until a recent house where I had a fiberglass surround installed. It took 1/8 the time and didn't detract from the home. It was the second bath and the main bath was tiled, but I see the benefit.

My personal house has a fiberglass surround with tile surrounding it and through the rest of the room. It didn't keep me from buying it, and I like it with two messy little kids. 

I am about to start on a tiled shower in a cheaper house this week... I'm sure after days putting it in I will come back to this post and sing the praises of a surround! Haha.

User Stats

Votes
Jim K.#2 Investor Mindset Contributor
  • Handyman
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
  • Handyman
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied Jan 15 2019, 11:17

@Mindy Jensen

To be clear, are we talking about custom tile showers with tiled mud bases (MMM wrote a post on these a long time ago) or tub surrounds around a tub?

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Hudak
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Fairfield, CT
Votes |
  • Fairfield, CT
Replied Jan 15 2019, 11:28

My parents have the surround fiberglass one in their bathroom.  It's ok.  I have only done the tile showers for myself in both my places.  I feel like tile may last longer.  Does anyone know how long of a lifetime expectancy on each?

User Stats

Votes
Brian Ellis
  • South shore, MA
Votes |
  • South shore, MA
Replied Jan 15 2019, 11:39

After installing a custom shower in my home, I regret not doing a fiberglass tub insert with a tile surround. Looking back it would have been fine, and cost way less. Its next to impossible to clean a custom tile shower, especially the floor corners and any grout a couple feet up from the floor. The glass doors also get a residue that is hard to get off. 

User Stats

Votes
Patrick M.
  • Red Bank, NJ
Votes |
  • Red Bank, NJ
Replied Jan 15 2019, 11:51

We've always done insert- tub and shower. 

Our current renovation we will likely tile due to a window... if we go tub.

I do not believe there is any affect on rent in my market (apartment units).

Account Closed
  • Santa Clara, CA
Votes |
  • Santa Clara, CA
Replied Jan 15 2019, 11:53

@Mindy Jensen what is your opinion between glass door and shower curtain for rental? I googled and got more confused. 

User Stats

Votes
Mindy Jensen
  • Longmont, CO
Votes |
  • Longmont, CO
ModeratorReplied Jan 15 2019, 11:53
Originally posted by @Jim K.:

@Mindy Jensen

To be clear, are we talking about custom tile showers with tiled mud bases (MMM wrote a post on these a long time ago) or tub surrounds around a tub?

This is a debate between the tub with surround vs a tub with tiled walls. (My husband did a custom tile shower from the MMM article and it looks spectacular, but a total pain to clean those corners and it took 10,000% longer than installing that insert.) 

User Stats

Votes
Mindy Jensen
  • Longmont, CO
Votes |
  • Longmont, CO
ModeratorReplied Jan 15 2019, 11:56
Originally posted by @Account Closed:

@Mindy Jensen what is your opinion between glass door and shower curtain for rental? I googled and got more confused. 

This is a tough one. Glass door is NOT getting cleaned by the tenant, but provides a better barrier against water splashing out on the floor.  

User Stats

Votes
Patrick M.
  • Red Bank, NJ
Votes |
  • Red Bank, NJ
Replied Jan 15 2019, 12:00

I always do glass door... some of them are a royal PITA to install... And yes some tenants need to be reminded on the soap scum.

User Stats

Votes
Jaron Walling
Pro Member
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Jan 15 2019, 12:01

I'm currently remodeling my entire bathroom and doing the insert with tile surround. Tiling the walls is easy. I'd have a panic attack if I was tiling a tub or shower drain. I only spent $1700 for material/few tools and a quick plumbing job! 

User Stats

Votes
Jason Hirko
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Jan 15 2019, 12:03

You want something that's easy to clean and beautiful? Check out Tadelakt. We even made our own out of a Portland cement and sand mixture. It wasn't harder than skimming the walls and will last 500 years. 

User Stats

Votes
Peter Tverdov
Property Manager
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New Brunswick, NJ
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New Brunswick, NJ
Replied Jan 15 2019, 12:06

Inserts leak, tiles generally don't. Plus the tile looks so much nicer. Bathrooms/kitchens sell houses and fill rentals. I never go cheap on those rooms. 

NMB logo
NMB
|
Sponsored
Your Nationwide Lending Partner in 47 States! Unbeatable rates & expedited loan programs for busy investors. Save more with a $550 credit today.

User Stats

Votes
Mindy Jensen
  • Longmont, CO
Votes |
  • Longmont, CO
ModeratorReplied Jan 15 2019, 12:15
Originally posted by @Jason Hirko:

You want something that's easy to clean and beautiful? Check out Tadelakt. We even made our own out of a Portland cement and sand mixture. It wasn't harder than skimming the walls and will last 500 years. 

Is this product for floors, too or just for walls? This looks too good to be true! Does it go on top of cement board? Do you need to RedGuard the cement board prior to installation?  

User Stats

Votes
Jim K.#2 Investor Mindset Contributor
  • Handyman
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
  • Handyman
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied Jan 15 2019, 12:27

@Mindy Jensen

Thank you. There's a very long answer and a short answer to this one. The short answer goes like is: if you're having someone else do it, there's absolutely no question in my mind that you should go with a glue-up tub surround. Ideally, the person you would be paying to do this would also make sure the alcove is paneled in cement board underlayment under the surround. I really like the latest Kohler Choreograph composite products, made of their proprietary Serica material. They are high-end and pricey as hell, and the only reason I know about them is because Kohler was lovely enough to send me some for free thanks to my Home Depot Seeds Program reviewing gig. For something cheaper, I would go with the American Standard Colony surrounds. Very good looking acrylic and much less expensive. I would avoid white or gray surrounds, because acrylic surrounds always yellow over time.

I have been remodeling my own bathrooms since the first one twelve years ago. I am a DIY, self-managing landlord who has also done some flips. In those years, I have worked with marble and granite in tiles and in slabs in bathroom renovation. In my very cheapest low-income apartments, I have tile surrounds with cement board underlayments that I have built with my own two hands around enameled steel bathtubs I have put in myself. It simply does not make financial sense to do as I do if you are not in charge of your own maintenance and bookkeeping.

That's the short answer.

Account Closed
  • Contractor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Jan 15 2019, 12:37

@Jason Hirko I really like the looks of this one.. looks like you’ve been holding out on us by just now mentioning this!? Haha, gotta look into this more. It’s got the hipster look

User Stats

Votes
Jason Hirko
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Jan 15 2019, 12:37
Originally posted by @Mindy Jensen:
Originally posted by @Jason Hirko:

Is this product for floors, too or just for walls? This looks too good to be true! Does it go on top of cement board? Do you need to RedGuard the cement board prior to installation?  

Yes you do the entire bathroom in it! It gives you a super custom look and costs a few hundred bucks if you're brave enough to do it yourself. When I do it I just stack two 2x4's as the transition between the shower floor and the rest of the bathroom floor, cover everything in cement board, then slap this junk on there. I usually pay a mason to do it. Then you pay a glass company to cut you a rectangle of glass for your 1/2 shower wall, and you're done. The trick is do it all in 1 coat. Multiple coats will flake off over time. But now your entire bathroom is water resistant! Here's our last project (we used cement tile for the floor, but this stuff works for floors too):

User Stats

Votes
Jason Hirko
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Jan 15 2019, 12:38

@Jason Hirko I really like the looks of this one.. looks like you’ve been holding out on us by just now mentioning this!? Haha, gotta look into this more. It’s got the hipster look

Yes it is my secret that I now share with my BP friends! Here's another shot of it on the walls:

Account Closed
  • Contractor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Jan 15 2019, 12:49

@Mindy Jensen I’d say either will work as long as they’re installed properly. “Contractors” blow it all the time on tiled shower bases. As real estate investors, I’d say whichever brings the most value, whether the inserts save you time, or the tile makes you a lot more $. The tile looks way nicer when using the proper tile, and niche, however it is way more expensive to do. I think the risk of having it installed wrong concerning water leaks is way less than a shower base, and could usually be remedied in some way. Personally, I’d rather install a tub/shower combo as one piece, than put inserts in. The inserts can end up being very spongy if installer does not glue behind and place brace boards to push the walls against the glued studs. All that said, I think inserts are a fine solution, much faster and will save you $! Roll with the inserts, don’t do bad caulking jobs and save time and $. If it’s a flip, probably tile the thing to get more out of the sale price!

Account Closed
  • Contractor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Jan 15 2019, 12:53

@Jason Hirko legend? Is this painted white or mixed with color? What do you think of just using the concrete color finish? Have you seen this stuff hold up, or are you new to it? Thanks

User Stats

Votes
Michael Quarles#1 Marketing Your Property Contributor
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Bakersfield, CA
Votes |
Michael Quarles#1 Marketing Your Property Contributor
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Bakersfield, CA
Replied Jan 15 2019, 12:55
Originally posted by @Mindy Jensen:

I see so many comments that tile showers are better than shower inserts.

For ease of installation as well as cleaning and mold/mildew resistance, I like a shower insert better. While I'm taking a shower, I don't look around and think, "oh, it's just an insert, that's bad."

Why do people like tiled showers better, and does anyone have any recommendations for a tile-look shower insert? 

Hi Mindy

Question, how many houses have you sold to yourself? I know trick question... 

Which is why I dont use my opinion when deciding on what to do or not do to a home... I use the opinion of the people buying or renting the homes in the area of the home..

Heck I wold never live in a home with a swamp cooler however I have sold plenty with them to folks that consider having a swamp cooler acceptable.

#1 Cardinal sin is to over build or remodel a home.

User Stats

Votes
Jason Hirko
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Jan 15 2019, 13:04

@Jason Hirko legend? Is this painted white or mixed with color? What do you think of just using the concrete color finish? Have you seen this stuff hold up, or are you new to it? Thanks

First used it in 2016 and the only problem I have had is if the mixture isn't right, you can get cracking and there isn't much you can do at that point other than paint it with a masonry paint. This one is painted to get that real white color, but in it's natural form when you mix it with white sand, you get a great light brown earth tone - not concrete colored at all. You can mix in dyes and get different colored sand for different finishes. The only thing I have never been brave enough to do is use it on a second story bathroom. That 5x10 bathroom pictures above probably has 2,000 pounds on the floors and walls!

Account Closed
  • Contractor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Jan 15 2019, 13:30

@Jason Hirko I can imagine some serious problems with the application. One crack would be a total blowout for me as an installer. Then trying to fix it or solve it with concrete paint is not reliable long term for a shower surface that will be scrubbed etc. Putting cement board down over studs, then skimming a coat of this over it does not sound crack proof. There would have to be a lath of some sort to avoid the cracks on the seams I would think. I LIKE the concrete look and would love to do that all around. I think you have an interesting product, but I have to question the longevity of this application. So for a positive solution to my concerns, I imagine you might be able to put a strong polyurethane glue between seams on your hardibacker to avoid cracking, with water proofing behind all to keep it from leaking. You seamed to indicate using this on floors/ pan too? Do you have a hot mop and mortar floated base before it? I want to believe this is a possible solution, just having a hard time accepting it as a 500 year option or even a 5 year option. Can you clarify to us why this would not crack on the hardibacker seams, or what you do to water proof your pans? Texas slabs will be way more forgiving than sub floors. Sorry for the rabbit trail Mindy! Not sure this product deserves to be considered, but very interesting!

BAM Capital  logo
BAM Capital
|
Sponsored
Your Path to Generational Wealth We offer wealth-building and income-producing real estate opportunities for accredited investors.

User Stats

Votes
Jason Hirko
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Jan 15 2019, 13:43

@Account Closed We did 2x6 studs, 3x4" plywood, then hardboard, filled the seams with a mortar sealant, then applied this 1/2' thick. Only got cracks once and they happened immediately when they dried. When we used it on the floor, we did basically what you would do before laying tile. 

User Stats

Votes
Steve Holly
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Bonners Ferry / Sandpoint
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Bonners Ferry / Sandpoint
Replied Jan 15 2019, 14:09

As a real estate agent, tile gives a higher perception of value, whereas an insert gives a lower perception of value.  Now some might rightly say, "sure, tile is more expensive", but go and price out some inserts and you'll soon realize, like most things, you can spend as much as you want.  Right or wrong, tile will more than likely, give the warm-fuzzies to a buyer or tenant.  With that said, if its for a rental property, I'd probably go with a nice-looking, yet cost-effective insert and get the "wow factor" from other items.  

As a landlord, the inserts tend to be lower maintenance, easier to clean after tenants move out, and are generally more forgiving.  If, in the unlikely event it's destroyed, it will be easier to remove, and cheaper to replace.  

User Stats

Votes
Joe Splitrock
Pro Member
  • Sioux Falls, SD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Sioux Falls, SD
ModeratorReplied Jan 15 2019, 14:12

@Mindy Jensen when we built our home ten years ago, we spent a ton to have our bathroom and stand up shower tiled. It looks beautiful. But, the tile is a complete magnet for gunk. It seems to be mostly soap/shampoo that collects like a slimy goo in the grout. I have cleaned and sealed the grout multiple times over the years. I have had to recaulk a couple times. Now by comparison, every rental property we own has one piece or three piece fiberglass tub showers. No caulk because the seems are self draining. When the surface is dirty, spray scrubbing bubbles and the dirt drips right off. Scrub a little, rinse and good as new.

Ironically in a tub, you can't even see the tile work once the shower curtain is closed. 

At a rental property I would never do a tile shower. Fiberglass is the way to go. As far as my personal home, I would do sheets of some type of solid surface like stone or quartz. Anything to avoid the grout. 

I think sometimes the better looking choices are not always the most practical or lowest maintenance.