Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Adam Karr
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Millstadt, IL
Votes |
New or reconditioned appliances

Adam Karr
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Millstadt, IL
Posted Nov 11 2018, 07:49
Does anyone install reconditioned appliances or just spend the extra money and put in new ones. We have had pretty decent luck with reconditioned stoves and refrigerators but recently had two bad experiences.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 11 2018, 08:00

I never put new in a rental for the simple fact that as soon as a tenant leaves the new tennat gets a used appliance anyway. 2-3 year old appliances for $2oo - $300 is best money spent. Warranties are for the most part a worthless expense. Good condition used will last as long as new. I keep spare units available and do a swap when service is required on a appliance. This avoids down time for the tenant and no urgency for me to do repair.

User Stats

Votes
Peter M.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • DFW, TX
Votes |
  • DFW, TX
Replied Nov 11 2018, 08:39

Depends on the level of the rental but scratch and dent/ reconditioned are usually the best way to go in my opinion. 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
David Avetisyan
  • Glendale, CA
Votes |
  • Glendale, CA
Replied Nov 11 2018, 08:44

Typically, I prefer to buy used from third party members trying to sell items they no longer need for whatever reason. In such instances, they typically sell for below value and if you look long and hard you’ll find something in extremely good condition. 

To your success! 

User Stats

Votes
Brian Pfaehler
  • Investor
  • Trafalgar, IN
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Trafalgar, IN
Replied Nov 11 2018, 18:46
@Adam Karr I don’t mess with used. Ever. Appliances are cheap in the grand scheme of things and tend to get better tenants with new stuff. Also can get great package deals around Black Friday and it’s worth it...good luck.

User Stats

Votes
Londell Reedman
  • Pinole, CA
Votes |
  • Pinole, CA
Replied Nov 11 2018, 19:46

I like to go brand new everything, I don't like  to go back and fourth to rental properties fixing and spending more money on repairs, but if its in a bad area with high vacancy rates save your money :)

User Stats

Votes
Jim S.
  • Sterman, MI
Votes |
  • Sterman, MI
Replied Nov 12 2018, 04:28

Around here (rural) finding anything less than 10 years old is rare. And they want too much and it's to far to drive. Everyone likes new appliances. I buy big box stores when on sale, if I can wait for the sale. I made a list of all my appliances in order of age and will be replacing them. Old refrigerators go first because they are the most important vs washers, dishwashers, stoves.

User Stats

Votes
Will F.
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles County, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles County, CA
Replied Nov 12 2018, 04:39

it sort of depends if your property is an A or C property  on an A you should almost always go with new stainless steel 

In a dilapidated apartment with low rents I might throw in a used $50 appliance and if it breaks just replace with another as repairing usually costs more tha fixing  

Nowadays you can get a new stainless stove for $400-500 so you might as well. You end up getting better and greatful tenants. Plus you don’t have to deal with repairs. 

I’d go for newer in most situations 

User Stats

Votes
Mark Fries
  • Contractor
  • Jacksonville, FL
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Jacksonville, FL
Replied Nov 12 2018, 04:52
@Thomas S. You are 100% correct...used all the way...warranties are useless

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 12 2018, 06:33

If you buy new does this mean you replace all appliances every time there is a tenant turn over or do new tenants get used appliances. If you don't replace appliances at turn over you may as well have saved the money and bought used in the first place.

Tenants don't know the difference.

User Stats

Votes
David Jarvi
  • Investor
  • Morongo Valley, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Morongo Valley, CA
Replied Nov 13 2018, 00:44

I spent $300 trying to repair a $450 home depot new stove 14 months after I bought it. and gave up! and ended up buying a new one.

buy quality re-conditioned or new with an extended warranty perhaps. 

recently lowes has had a lot of 50% off sales on open box stuff.