Is solid-surface/granite countertop worth it in rental?

Is solid-surface/granite countertop worth it in rental?

Member since 2018 · 10 posts · 2 votes

I'm redoing the kitchen in a 4-bedroom rental. The Realtor I work with strongly recommends putting in solid-surface (i.e., Corian or similar) or granite rather than laminate for the countertop. The price for laminate installed will be around $1200, versus $3500 for solid-surface or granite.

That's a big price difference and I'm having a hard time believing it will be worth it. The rental is in the top 25 percent cost-wise for the neighborhood, due mostly to its being a very large unit, but most other homes in the neighborhood don't have granite or solid-surface counters. The unit is also old (about a hundred years) and although I just refinished the floors and did fresh paint throughout, it's never going to have the feel of a new-construction building where tenants expect granite or Corian as part of their "luxury" kitchen. Finally, the rest of the kitchen will be nothing special: Basic cabinets, basic linoleum floor, basic standard appliances -- so I'm not convinced that fancy countertops would even fit.

Should I believe the Realtor (whom I'm hiring to find a tenant for the place) or stick with my gut and go with less expensive laminate? I know everyone's mileage on this topic will vary depending on lots of factors, but I'm curious for thoughts.

0Reply
78 views

Most Popular Reply

Ned CareyPro Member
Moderator
Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
8y

@Gusatvus Johnson this is where knowing your market is important.  We now put granite in most of our rentals. These are relatively low cost rentals in Baltimore City.  For us the kitchens are so small, we might only use 10-12 sq ft of granite do the difference is not much. 

If your competition has granite and you don't it may take longer to rent. If your competition does not have it, it may not be needed or might give you a competitive edge.

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    8y

    I would go with the laminate unless you are redoing kitchens and bathrooms, stainless appliances and it is an A or high B building. On top of that I would not have the realtor find a new tenant; do that yourself and screen thoroughly-you will be glad you did. No one does it better than the LL.

  • Real Estate Agent · Princeton, NJ · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    Gusatvus Johnson - first, measure the granite sf you need. Then times that by $35. That should be your Grade A granite install price. Granite is not graded by quality but by common-ness of the Stone. We put in Giallo Ornamental. My next flip will have Viscount White granite. In my L shape 10x12 kitchen for my flip it was like $1200 including the Stainless undermount sink. I paid $200 for a pretty faucet too. Add in the subway tile backsplash at $3 psf plus install and I sold the house for a pretty penny. The Flip had a 5 year old laminate counter that I had to replace because it was already water damaged and bowing. Give your customer a lifetime solution especially if you’re spending however much on the cabinets.
  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    8y
    no way that’s going to bring more money in a rental . They’ve got some really good alternatives these days that give the look but at a fraction of the cost . Most realtors are totally clueless when it comes to investment properties
  • Rental Property Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2018 · 179 posts · 192 votes
    8y

    @Gusatvus Johnson, @Natalie Schanne, granite in a rental?  No way.  Granite in a flip?  If the neighborhood and comps warrant it, yes.  @Dennis M. Amen, brother!

  • Real Estate Appraiser · Isabella lake, CA · Member since 2018 · 628 posts · 491 votes
    8y

    Only if it will increase the rent enough to pay for itself in a reasonably short time.

  • Real Estate Agent · Princeton, NJ · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @David Cruice @Dennis M. - I have granite in my rental and I want to replace the laminate counter to granite in my latest rental but I haven’t decided whether I’m keeping or trashing the wood cabinets yet. I just had a property listed in a neighborhood where granite/Stainless was not common and I’ve gotten at least 500 calls or emails about that property in 2 months. 10 applications for rental in short succession. People still call me daily about wanting to rent that property. This is a house worth 90k renting for $1400/mo. Neighbors might rent for $1250-1300. The kitchen made it stand out. You know your market. If you own it for 30 years how many times will you change it? If you put it in now, can you get at least $25 more per month? I gave the cost because Home Depot laminate counters for my flip would have been like $400-500 vs 1200. Don’t pay $50-65psf for stone. Upgrading to the cheapest granite was a no brainer. Laminate scratches. Granite weathers. My 10 year old granite looks exactly the same.

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    8y

    @Gusatvus Johnson this is where knowing your market is important.  We now put granite in most of our rentals. These are relatively low cost rentals in Baltimore City.  For us the kitchens are so small, we might only use 10-12 sq ft of granite do the difference is not much. 

    If your competition has granite and you don't it may take longer to rent. If your competition does not have it, it may not be needed or might give you a competitive edge.

  • Investor · Trafalgar, IN · Member since 2016 · 95 posts · 58 votes
    8y
    I use quartz exclusively. Holds up very well and doesn’t have to be sealed like granite. Get a much better tenant and higher rent for upgrades such as this. Good luck!
  • Ozzy SirimsiBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 782 votes
    8y

    Granite is not going to increase your rent numbers but it will help you have No Vacancy, and it lasts longer. If it sits vacant two months , there you go, that is your granite.

    Also, how big is that kitchen ?

  • Investor · Suwanee, GA · Member since 2013 · 251 posts · 30 votes
    7y

    Where to get best prices on Solid Surface Countertops and install in Atlanta Ga?

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    7y

    @Rashad S.

    Hey rashad, I dont have an Atlanta reference for you, but I can tell you a ballpark price and what to look for. 

    Find a supplier that sells and installs 9 foot by 25” bull nosed slabs. Each one of those should cost about $200 (maybe $300 for the “upgraded” granite) installed including demolition and removal of the old countertop. If you buy more than a few they’ll usually throw in the undermount sink and installation but not the faucet as they arent plumbers. 

    $1,000 to MAYBE $1,500 covers every Vegas rental I buy. I agree you might not get an extra $50 - $100/mo in rent but if it rents one week faster that’s hundreds of dollars.  They last longer and look modern/high end. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Cupertino, CA · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Granite comes in different grades and prices. You can avoid tall water back splash to save cost. Quartz is something I will not want to be involved due to highest cost.

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    7y

    It's a rental. Based on market stay with laminate 99% of the time.

  • Investor · Long Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 313 posts · 190 votes
    7y

    I have little breakfast bars between the kitchen and living room in my rentals. As I have remodeled each unit, i put in a stone top on the breakfast bar, but leave the countertops in laminate. Its worked for me since the breakfast bar is visible as soon as you walk in the front door.

  • Investor · Suwanee, GA · Member since 2013 · 251 posts · 30 votes
    7y

    @Bill Brandt thanks. Yeah this is for two flips of mines. I’m currently being charged about $3500 for a small L shaped kitchen counter. And about $5500 for a slightly larger kitchen plus 4 bathroom countertops.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.