Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
William Tindol
  • Midland, TX
Votes |
Property Management Interview Questions

William Tindol
  • Midland, TX
Posted

Currently I am looking in a new market and looking to find some property managers. There are no property managers on bigger pockets in the city and Yelp reviews are little limited so it is tough to know who the good property managers are. Most investors I know in the city self manage their own so referrals are limited.

Does anyone happen to have a template of questions that you would ask property managers in an interview so I can get a feel for which ones are the best?

User Stats

Votes
Devon Marx
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
Replied

William - can you PM me your personal email? I'll shot you over the hiring packet I have for when I hire property managers. 

User Stats

Votes
Logan Turner
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
  • Dallas, TX
Replied

William, which market are you talking about? If Midland, I have a top notch PM. 

Hemlane logo
Hemlane
|
Sponsored
The future of property management is here! Automate rent, repairs, and listings & get 70% more free time back in your life!

User Stats

Votes
Brent Kawakami
Pro Member
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Dallas, TX
Replied

William Tindol

Hi William,

Don’t know what size/type of properties you’re looking at, but here’s some generic questions I like from template:

- How many units do they manage by Class A, B, C?
- What is the smallest and largest property they manage?
- Do they specialize in a certain class, size, etc type of property?
- Do they know the subject property you’re looking at?
- Ask them how they think they are different than their competitors.
- Do they have their own construction crew?
- If you have them manage rehab project, how much do they charge?
-How many employees do they have?- - Ask them for a sample report they provide with their monthly reporting.
- Ask then for a sample management agreement.

Hope that helps.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied

You can start by going to www.narpm.org and search their directory of managers. These are professionals with additional training and a stricter code of ethics. It's no guarantee but it's a good place to start.

1. Ask how many units they manage and how much experience they have. If it's a larger organization, feel free to inquire about their different staff qualifications.

2. Review their management agreement. Make sure it explicitly explains the process for termination if you are unhappy with their services, but especially if they violate the terms of your agreement.

3. Understand the fees involved and calculate the total cost for an entire year of management so you can compare the different managers. It may sound nice to pay a 5% management fee but the extra fees can add up to be more than the other company that charges 10% with no add-on fees. Fees should be clearly stated, easy to understand, and justifiable. If you ask the manager to justify a fee and he starts hemming and hawing, move on or require them to remove the fee. Don't be afraid to negotiate!

4. Review their lease agreement and addendums. Think of all the things that could go wrong and see if the lease addresses them: unauthorized pets or tenants, early termination, security deposit, lease violations, late rent, eviction, lawn maintenance, parking, etc.

5. Don't just read the lease! Ask the manager to explain their process for dealing with maintenance or problem tenants. If they are professional, they can explain this quickly and easily. If they are VERY professional, they will have their processes in writing as verification that it is enforced equally and fairly by their entire staff.

6. Ask to speak with some of their current owners and current/former tenants. You can also check their reviews online at Google, Facebook, or Yelp. Just remember: most negative reviews are written by problematic tenants. The fact they are complaining online might be an indication the property manager dealt with them properly so be sure to ask the manager for their side of the story.

I hope this basic guide helps. If you have specific questions about property management, I'll be happy to help!

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Mark Hughes
  • Aurora, CO
Votes |
  • Aurora, CO
Replied

Great answers everyone. Thanks

User Stats

Votes
Michael Howell
  • Contractor
  • Bessemer, AL
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Bessemer, AL
Replied

Hi William,

https://www.gkhouses.com/

This is a top shelf outfit, unfortunately, they do not service TX. However, I might be worth a phone call to see if they may have ideas or recommendations for you.

Best of luck,

Mick