Investing in the Netherlands - regular rental vs B&B

Investing in the Netherlands - regular rental vs B&B

Rental Property Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2014 · 17 posts · 2 votes

Hi everyone,

I recently moved to Amsterdam and am looking to buy an apartment in the city. I am thinking a 3 room apartment of which I could rent out 2 rooms either as a longer term rental (12 months) or a B&B style short term rental. 

Due to tighter AirBnB regulations, starting 2019 landlords can only rent out their entire homes for 30 days during the year (as a short term rental). Hence that does not seem like a good option.

Does anyone have experience with short-term vs long-term rentals of part of their home in Amsterdam? I'm curious about taxation, legal issues etc. Also, if there are any real estate groups in Amsterdam, let me know!

Thank you. :)

0Reply
35 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Barcelona & Valencia (Spain) · Member since 2017 · 322 posts · 177 votes
    8y

    Hi @Sophie Mia,

    Good to hear your plans and the moving to Amsterdam. Are you Dutch yourself? 

    Can not give you precise information about these topics as I am from Holland but currently working & investing in Barcelona. What I can do is refer you to @Jen Mendez, who is organizing real estate meetings on multiple locations. 

    Good luck!

    Erwin 

  • Rental Property Investor · Amsterdam Zuidoost, NH · Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    @Erwin Groenendijk

    Hi Erwin,

    I am looking to start a B&B in Amsterdam. Did you ever determine what the better approach was? Did you go through the B&B path? Did you register as a B&B with the government?

  • Investor · Barcelona & Valencia (Spain) · Member since 2017 · 322 posts · 177 votes
    6y

    Hi @Gregory Polinger, can only help you so far because the rules are a bit different between Spain and Holland. What I know is that when you open your Airbnb hosting account, you can choose to link your account to the tax office in the country you are hosting your apartment. At least, this is what I am experiencing now putting our newly bought apartment on Airbnb. 

    Did you btw read the recent news about Airbnb and the rules of renting out your place? The court decided that Airbnb is not recognized as a hotel category but as a service, so that is why the 30 day minimum of renting out your room doesn't apply anymore, or at least this is what I understood from it. In Spain, for example, this rule was not there yet.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.