Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
So we just had a fun situation... we inherited a tenant on a house we bought and after they moved out we fixed it up and rented it out. Well, turns out these previous tenants weren't any good. Someone with a grudge against them came back and shot the house up thinking the old tenants we inherited were still there. (The police told us they were pretty sure this is what had happened as they had had run ins with our inherited tenants before.) Thank God our new tenants weren't home, but they are, not surprisingly, scarred ****less.
We let them out of their lease and I think they are going to move to another house of ours. So that part is fine. It also won't be too much of a hassle to fix up the house. The problem is, how long do I wait to release it? I was thinking we wait a bit before fixing it up, and make it real obvious the house is vacant (with an alarm of course) and then make it real obvious it's for rent (like three signs in the yard or something), so if the shooters come back, they'll know the people they were after are gone. I don't think they'll come back anyways and hopefully the cops will catch them, but I also don't want to put any potential tenants at any risk whatsoever.
I'm curious how the rest of you would approach this? Please let me know your feedback. Thanks!
Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
8y
@Andrew Syrios I'd put a big 4x8 sign in front with something like, "COMING SOON 3BR/2BA RENTAL - UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT". Like the shooting scared the targets so much that they left and now management (you) is rehabbing. Let it sit a month max if that. Someone who shot up a house isn't going to just do so then "check in" 6 months later to see if they taught their target a lesson, they are there passing by frequently, or at least will get word of what's happening there. Make the vacancy factor as obvious as you can to the general public so word gets out that the previous problem tenant "ran".
Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
8y
Things like that don't happen twice, I wouldn't be overly concerned. Kudos for doing the right thing and getting the tenants to a more comfortable environment. Events like that rock your sense of security even though they have a very low likelihood of reoccurring.
You might want to ask the police their thoughts on your best course of action and/or responsibility.
We've had garbage like that while occupied by the loser tenant, but not after. Always an adventure!
Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
8y
@Andrew Syrios I'd put a big 4x8 sign in front with something like, "COMING SOON 3BR/2BA RENTAL - UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT". Like the shooting scared the targets so much that they left and now management (you) is rehabbing. Let it sit a month max if that. Someone who shot up a house isn't going to just do so then "check in" 6 months later to see if they taught their target a lesson, they are there passing by frequently, or at least will get word of what's happening there. Make the vacancy factor as obvious as you can to the general public so word gets out that the previous problem tenant "ran".
Real Estate Broker · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2016 · 36 posts · 38 votes
8y
@Andrew Syrios - If you have a home that experienced a situation like that in KC, I can probably narrow down the location to a handful of Zip-Codes. I know that you want to send a message to whomever did this that their target(s) are no longer residing there, but I can't recommend strongly enough to NOT put a large "For Rent" sign in the front yard. In those parts of KC, you may as well be erecting a billboard with a giant neon arrow pointing to your house that says "FREE STUFF HERE!!". The violent crime that occurred at your house is thankfully more of a rarity in KC than some areas - but I'm afraid a sign like that will be your welcome into the world of "crime of convenience".
The neighbors around that house all saw a big moving truck being loaded after that event - the "For Rent" sign is the last assurance they'll need, to know the place is now empty. They'll consider you the big, bad faceless Landlord who's ridiculously wealthy and won't be hurt to replace a stove/refrigerator/furnace/etc. Someone who lives near the neighborhood that drives by there will think the same thing.
Things definitely aren't as bad as they were back during the recession, but a HW Tank is still an easy payday with very little effort, if someone thinks there's no chance of getting caught. Have a cage over your A/C unit? If not - get one. Have Security hooks for every door but the front? If not - get them. Put up new miniblinds if needed, and leave 1 or 2 lights burning at all times (LED's won't move the needle on Elec. usage much). If you're in one of the Zip Codes I think you are, the LAST thing you want is to advertise your house as empty.
Rental Property Investor · Tyler, TX · Member since 2018 · 32 posts · 23 votes
8y
We had a similar issue where the tenant had friends over, an altercation broke out and the friend was shot and killed. The tenants parents cleaned the property completely and we were able to rent it a few months later. We were nervous no one would want to rent after that, but turns out no one really knew what had gone on. This property is in a nice area, these were middle classes young 20yr olds. Very sad situation!
I would do the repairs and rent it asap. You can not predict or anticipate what may or may not happen in the future. You do not make decissions based on what might happen. No point in waiting.
@Andrew Syrios - If you have a home that experienced a situation like that in KC, I can probably narrow down the location to a handful of Zip-Codes. I know that you want to send a message to whomever did this that their target(s) are no longer residing there, but I can't recommend strongly enough to NOT put a large "For Rent" sign in the front yard. In those parts of KC, you may as well be erecting a billboard with a giant neon arrow pointing to your house that says "FREE STUFF HERE!!". The violent crime that occurred at your house is thankfully more of a rarity in KC than some areas - but I'm afraid a sign like that will be your welcome into the world of "crime of convenience".
The neighbors around that house all saw a big moving truck being loaded after that event - the "For Rent" sign is the last assurance they'll need, to know the place is now empty. They'll consider you the big, bad faceless Landlord who's ridiculously wealthy and won't be hurt to replace a stove/refrigerator/furnace/etc. Someone who lives near the neighborhood that drives by there will think the same thing.
Things definitely aren't as bad as they were back during the recession, but a HW Tank is still an easy payday with very little effort, if someone thinks there's no chance of getting caught. Have a cage over your A/C unit? If not - get one. Have Security hooks for every door but the front? If not - get them. Put up new miniblinds if needed, and leave 1 or 2 lights burning at all times (LED's won't move the needle on Elec. usage much). If you're in one of the Zip Codes I think you are, the LAST thing you want is to advertise your house as empty.
Whatever you decide, best of luck to you. Cheers!
I definitely understand where you're coming from, although I should note that this was actually not in the kind of neighborhood you would expect this kind of thing to happen. And if we do put a "for rent" sign in front, we will definitely put an alarm in the house. Thanks for your thoughts!
Things like that don't happen twice, I wouldn't be overly concerned. Kudos for doing the right thing and getting the tenants to a more comfortable environment. Events like that rock your sense of security even though they have a very low likelihood of reoccurring.
You might want to ask the police their thoughts on your best course of action and/or responsibility.
We've had garbage like that while occupied by the loser tenant, but not after. Always an adventure!
I am curious how do you know things like that don’t happen twice
Things like that don't happen twice, I wouldn't be overly concerned. Kudos for doing the right thing and getting the tenants to a more comfortable environment. Events like that rock your sense of security even though they have a very low likelihood of reoccurring.
You might want to ask the police their thoughts on your best course of action and/or responsibility.
We've had garbage like that while occupied by the loser tenant, but not after. Always an adventure!
I am curious how do you know things like that don’t happen twice
My wife worked at a hospital in Balto city , they had armed guards in the ER . Why ? If your target didnt die when you shot them you go to the ER and finish the job .
So we just had a fun situation... we inherited a tenant on a house we bought and after they moved out we fixed it up and rented it out. Well, turns out these previous tenants weren't any good. Someone with a grudge against them came back and shot the house up thinking the old tenants we inherited were still there. (The police told us they were pretty sure this is what had happened as they had had run ins with our inherited tenants before.) Thank God our new tenants weren't home, but they are, not surprisingly, scarred ****less.
We let them out of their lease and I think they are going to move to another house of ours. So that part is fine. It also won't be too much of a hassle to fix up the house. The problem is, how long do I wait to release it? I was thinking we wait a bit before fixing it up, and make it real obvious the house is vacant (with an alarm of course) and then make it real obvious it's for rent (like three signs in the yard or something), so if the shooters come back, they'll know the people they were after are gone. I don't think they'll come back anyways and hopefully the cops will catch them, but I also don't want to put any potential tenants at any risk whatsoever.
I'm curious how the rest of you would approach this? Please let me know your feedback. Thanks!
Straight #savage.
Seeing as it was a drive by I think it'd be prudent to put this puppy in the back of the line & focus on other projects while things die down. Ideally the perps will be caught before you start the renovation. Last thing you want from a moral & legal perspective is to put a new family in there, house gets shot up then it comes out you knew about it & didn't disclose.
Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
8y
In my experience, thieves in certain areas aren't so concerned about alarm systems, because they know that it'll take the police 20 minutes to come. So, if they break in and find an alarm going, they'll grab everything they can in 10 minutes and are long gone by the time the squad car pulls up.
Things like that don't happen twice, I wouldn't be overly concerned. Kudos for doing the right thing and getting the tenants to a more comfortable environment. Events like that rock your sense of security even though they have a very low likelihood of reoccurring.
You might want to ask the police their thoughts on your best course of action and/or responsibility.
We've had garbage like that while occupied by the loser tenant, but not after. Always an adventure!
I am curious how do you know things like that don’t happen twice
My wife worked at a hospital in Balto city , they had armed guards in the ER . Why ? If your target didnt die when you shot them you go to the ER and finish the job .
Lol ok
Is that why my nephew who is a cop said once a ho Se is shot up there is a very good chance it will happen again
Multifamily Syndicator · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
8y
@Andrew Syrios Good job on helping your tenants get settled rather quickly, as that must have been scary!
I think a brief cooling period in which you put up a sign to deter these people from coming back is a wise move. Sometimes, you just never know with this kind people, as they may want to come back.
Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
8y
Its word of mouth that will inform the shooters that the previous tenants are no longer there. My guess is they arent reading signs or the paper. Not sure how you get the word out.
Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
8y
@Michele Fischer why would you say this won't happen twice and not to be overly concerned, when they don't even know for sure why it happened the first time?
@Andrew Syrios I am not sure just posting "for rent" signs is the answer. I would install security cameras pointed at the road and entrance. You can get a four pack DVR kit for under $300. Cameras are a great deterrent and will help you catch someone if they try something.
I would be concerned about safety of my tenants and liability when I rent that home to someone else. If you don't tell the new tenant about the shooting and it happens again, you could face serious liability if someone is harmed. As a landlord, if you know about a risk, you should disclose it. The problem is disclosing this could make it hard to rent. I would consider selling it.