Tenants kids ball found in pipe that caused sewage back up, etc.

Tenants kids ball found in pipe that caused sewage back up, etc.

Investor · Turtle Creek, PA · Member since 2016 · 50 posts · 0 votes

Tenants of going on three years. Excellent overall, pay early or on time. Never an issue. Recently tenant contacted me, pipe backed up, sewage into house, damaging original wood floors beyond repair.  Tenant said he was trying to fish around in pipe also, and found another toy. 

My house is historic and terra cotta pipe still in places. So used home warranty, part of line broken underneath. Had to jackhammer into foundation, dig down repair Terran Cotta pipe, put back together. Nightmare and probably very inconvenient for tenants and baby. 

While fix underway plumber also stated blockage was caused by a kids ball in the line. Now before tenants moved in the house was winterized and vacant for three years. I had a management co and right before moving in my then manager flushed the lines. and there was no problem until now, two years later. 

Now another part of pipe also "sunken" under kitchen area, and flooded, camera wont pass. or see beyond foundation of house. 

First invoice total for me is $2480.00 then second invoice hasn't been executed yet, for sunken area, so not known if further tenants kids items might be in there or not.

Question is: The reality is they are excellent tenants and i don't want to burn any "relationship".  But i also don't want to have them think they can mess with my plumbing and i will just take care of it. 

also this is a single family standalone home, both tenants work and they have two small kids, one is an infant. 

I know they should be paying for the first repair where is definite they caused it. 

Should i be sending an invoice for half for most of the repair? or how would you assign a dollar value to the cause of the issue vs the cost of accessing the issue and then re-cementing, etc?

Also, should i be waiting for the second repair for sunken pipes to be done then send invoice. 

Any advice appreciated! :-)

Thanks!

0Reply
26 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
8y
I think you need to separate ‘old plumbing repairs’ from ‘blockage caused by tenant’. I’m not sure exactly where the line is, but terra cotta pipes are old, and the fact they were sunken and needed to be replaced is probably not the tenants fault. The fact that there was a backup due to a toy, that could/should be on the tenant. In my mind, they should be paying the cost of the snaking/camera to fix the clog. The damage flooring - I’m not sure. The pipe replacement is probably on you as a capex.
See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    I think you need to separate ‘old plumbing repairs’ from ‘blockage caused by tenant’. I’m not sure exactly where the line is, but terra cotta pipes are old, and the fact they were sunken and needed to be replaced is probably not the tenants fault. The fact that there was a backup due to a toy, that could/should be on the tenant. In my mind, they should be paying the cost of the snaking/camera to fix the clog. The damage flooring - I’m not sure. The pipe replacement is probably on you as a capex.
  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    8y

    Sunken pipes are not the tenant's fault unless the tenant somehow excavated under the pipes and that excavation led to your sunken pipes - I don't think your tenant did that. So pipe repairs are your responsibility in this case.

    Flooring repair responsibility is a bit more difficult to pinpoint - would the water backup have occurred without a toy being placed into that drain? I don't have that answer, and only if you can say "no way" to that question would that repair be the tenant's responsibility.

  • Towson, MD · Member since 2017 · 41 posts · 36 votes
    8y

     My primary residence is 50+ years old and a few years ago we had to replace the terra-cotta pipe going from house to street. Completely age related and happens to pretty much every home in my neighborhood within the last several years -  every few months I see a new neighbor’s yard that is dug up for replacement of the terra-cotta pipe. That’s completely unrelated to the tenants and I believe on you as a landlord and property owner. 

    They should be paying for what happened with the ball in the drain.  My own kids have done that in my own bathtub and while it didn’t lead to back up, it did cause some drain clogs.  

    I can’t tell from your original post exactly what was what but I would try to be fair with them since they seem to be otherwise good tenants. The terra-cotta is on you and anything related to back ups from the ball in the pipe should be something they should be covering.

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    8y

    Those clay (terracotta) sewer pipes are a disaster.  I've replaced them in several houses.  Replacing them is totally on you, not the tenant.  Honestly, in this case, I don't think you should bill the tenant anything.  Yeah, the ball might be the immediate cause of the clog.  But if its made it part way through the line, it would have made it to the city's line if  your line had been in good repair.

    You say you had the lines flushed before these tenants moved in.  Did you do a camera?  Do you mean the line was "jetted"?  If this place started with clay pipes and sat unused for several years (which would allow the sewer lines to completely dry out, possibly causing more shifting of the individual pipes) then I think this is on you, not the tenant.

    Replace the whole line.  Otherwise you'll just have problem after problem until you do.  I will tell you to get multiple bids.  I've had a WIDE range of bids for this type of work.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.