Hair Clog - The Tenant Side?

Hair Clog - The Tenant Side?

South Bend, IN · Member since 2016 · 69 posts · 22 votes

Hello,

I've read through some 'hair clog/landlord' threads.

This is the other side of the coin and I'm curious what you'd do as landlord.

-----

My kid shares a house with 3 other roommates at school.

Kid 1:  Mine - moved in mid August 2017, did not do a walk-through, shares bathroom A.

Kid 2:  Moved in mid August 2017.  Shares bathroom A.

Kid 3:  Used bathroom A from May to mid-August, along with 1 other subletter.  Moved rooms and bathrooms in mid-August.  Now uses bathroom B

Kid 4:  Moved in mid-August 2017.  Uses bathroom B.

---

Drain clogged in 'bathroom A' a few weeks ago.  Plumber told Kid 4 that the pipes are shot & there was 30 yrs worth of hair in there.  No way it could just be the current tenants.

Landlord says the $150 clean-out fee belongs to the current tenants and plumber is wrong.  He was in the house over the summer to install tile and ran the water.  All seemed ok to him.  

He said no slow draining was mentioned in August walk-through.  My kid didn't do a walkthrough.  

He said it hadn't needed a clean out for 8 yrs . . .  until Dec 2016.  Dec 2016 cleanout tenants lived there through the following May (2017), and were followed by subletters (May, June, July) before the current renters arrived in mid-August.

Then at the end of Dec 2017, it needed another cleanout.

The kids used the drain screens.  They only removed them once the water was backing up and they tried to snake (and snag) it (right before the plummer came).  Screens went right back on afterwards.  

Kid 3 isn't happy in the house, and is trying to sublet out.  Personal reasons.  She emailed the landlord and said the Bathroom A kids weren't using the screens (not her bathroom, and false.  Plus, she also used the bathroom for 3 months herself prior).  Landlord is using that as contributing evidence, and has now said the $150 must be paid.

No direct mention of such in lease.  He said they don't have to pay it, but he'll get it out of their security deposits when the extended year lease ends.

They've also had 3 or 4 bat removals since September.  Animal control guy had to come multiple times for one bat they couldn't catch, as well.  $.  Hole not found yet, so likely more.  No other issues - good tenants.

---

Shady or just how this works?

0Reply
44 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Professional · Redmond, WA · Member since 2015 · 67 posts · 47 votes
8y

This doesn't solve all the roommate issues going on... but might be worth a shot for the drains.  This stuff has worked miracles for me in some rental houses:  https://www.homedepot.com/p/Instant-Power-67-6-oz-Hair-and-Grease-Drain-Opener-1970/100169339

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Professional · Redmond, WA · Member since 2015 · 67 posts · 47 votes
    8y

    This doesn't solve all the roommate issues going on... but might be worth a shot for the drains.  This stuff has worked miracles for me in some rental houses:  https://www.homedepot.com/p/Instant-Power-67-6-oz-Hair-and-Grease-Drain-Opener-1970/100169339

  • Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y

    What does the lease say? If the lease says the tenant pays then tenants are probably stuck. If the lease says the tenants pay if it's their fault then I'd pay for a company to come out and snake it to the main with a camera and get a statement as to fault and if it's not their fault then they can escrow rent in the amount of the plumbing costs and fight it out in court. I think it's shady though-- In a old building he ought to pay the plumbers snake it out to the main and stick a camera down the drain. This will tell the tale. Usually for new tenants I do it the first time and tell them next time it's on them. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 876 votes
    8y

    Sounds like the landlord is scamming the kids. You don't clog a drain with hair in 6 months. The clog from hell below took like 10 years!  My wife accused me of contributing with my short scalp and body hair, I say BS.

  • Investor · Post Falls, ID · Member since 2016 · 606 posts · 699 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Johann Jells:

    Sounds like the landlord is scamming the kids. You don't clog a drain with hair in 6 months. The clog from hell below took like 10 years!  My wife accused me of contributing with my short scalp and body hair, I say BS.

     I think I will post that photo on my refrigerator to help with my diet.  That is one of the most disgusting things I have ever seen.

  • Rental Property Investor · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 876 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Bettina F.:

     And trust me, had you smelled it you might never eat again! Truly horrifying.

  • South Bend, IN · Member since 2016 · 69 posts · 22 votes
    8y

    @Ben Meisel

    Thanks, I'll check that out.  My concern, of course, is how to prevent this going forward if the lines are indeed bad.  So, this looks like a plan.

    ---Hoping to part ways with the 3rd tenant soon.  The landlord has changed his policies in that regard, so that's another issue to contend with.  

    @Jill F.

    I had my kid send me pics of the lease.  She sent what she felt pertained, so I can't be 100% sure.  But, it looks like only cleaning (i.e. cost to clean tubs after moving out) and replacement of various items (ie. blinds) is covered.  I see no mention of a situation like this.  But, I'll be seeing her soon and I'll review the lease.  He didn't mention it being covered in the lease, and he seems like a very sharp man, so I feel like it would have come up.

    (edited for clarity)

    @Johann Jells

    I agree.  We were a house of three girls/women (plus a short haired fella) for decades.  Without a hair guard in the shower, too.  Yep, we had minor clogs but one of those snag-it things always did the trick.  They kids tried, and the plumber said they never would have got it out on their own.  (sidenote:  this was the first time the landlord had used this company, and I do feel bad for the fella that piped up).

    -----

    Also, that tile job he mentioned over the summer was in bathroom B.  

    ------

    Thanks for the input.  It's a good teachable moment for the kid, because there are people like this out there, unfortunately.  

  • Specialist · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 870 posts · 345 votes
    8y

    I gave my tenants additional screens and this plastic tool ($6).  The screens should stop all hair, if not my handyman  charges $50 per drain.  The tub worked when they moved in and it should still work when they moved out, same applies to toilets. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.