Phony Plumber, Ran Off With My Money! What To Do?
I hired a plumber to replace a non-functional boiler with TWO boilers for a two family property I just bought to separate utilities. With the cold weather approaching, I couldn't leave tenants without heat so I was desperate to get the job done sooner than later. He did the job, but zone valves for some reason kept burning out and had to replace 3 of them. Out of curiosity, I brought in another plumber, close friend of my dad's, and told me the job was done awfully and not up to code. Up to code? I NEEDED PERMITS! The first plumber did not notify me, did the work, offered 1 year of warranty on the work. Heat would not work with thermostats (all new), and I told him about it (nicely) and he said that if I was not happy with his work, he would simply return me the labor costs the next Saturday. A week later, the guy blocked my number, text messages, and is no where to be found. I had to pay more than double for the job to be done correctly. I looked up the guy's license, it's active. I researched the information on his business card and everything was legit, except his work. Is there anything I can do?
P.S. - First lesson learned for a first time landlord ... Do my homework first!