Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Kay Aula
  • Folsom, CA
Votes |
Section 8 Rent Payment went to old landlord -any hope?

Kay Aula
  • Folsom, CA
Posted Nov 29 2017, 19:35
I recently purchased a home with a Section 8 contract in place. The purchase contract noted that the Section 8 contract transfers to new owner upon title transfer. Title transferred on the 22nd of the month but the next Section 8 payment from the local housing authority was deposited into the previous owner’s bank account. I have contacted my real estate agent, the seller’s agent, the previous landlord and the local housing authority with persistence and have informed them that this needs to be corrected but I have made absolutely no headway. No return calls from my realtor (first and last time we will use him!), no response from sellers agent, no response from seller. I did receive a phone call from a top executive at the housing agency through my persistent contact and it ended in him informing me that they could not do anything and suggested I contact the seller (already did that with no success!). 100% of the rent for the home is paid by Section 8 so I am out an entire month’s rent. The home is in Cleveland and I live in Northern California. Do I suck up the lost rent for that month or is there any hope in pursuing this in any other direction? Glad to be a new member here and to help in any way I can as an investor with property in Northern Ca and Cleveland. Thanks for reading!

Loading replies...