Low water pressure in Ann Arbor - Excavators or Advice

Low water pressure in Ann Arbor - Excavators or Advice

Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2017 · 9 posts · 0 votes

Hello - 

I am a bit of a newbie here, I accidentally got into rental properties when I moved away from Ann Arbor and couldn't get the price I wanted for my house. It is now my only rental, but I'm interested in more.

Anyway, the house has low water pressure and the tenants this year complained. The water works, it is just if the washer is filling up or something, the faucet will be very weak for those few minutes. Roto-Rooter says I have a galvanized water main line that needs replacing, and after checking with the city of Ann Arbor and reading city code I find that I am responsible for this even though it is before the meter.

The first estimate to fix this came back around 7k. I am working on getting more, but have two questions:

1. Does anyone have a good excavator recommendation in Ann Arbor?

2. Am I obligated to fix this right now? Or at all? The water works and has always been low (even when I lived there), but these are the first tenants to complain. I want happy tenants, but these ones are likely gone come summer as it's a college rental. The next ones might not care at all. At the very least, it would be a lot easier to take care of after the holidays for both fiscal and travel reasons.

Any insight at all is appreciated, thank you very much!

0Reply
9 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Ypsilanti, MI · Member since 2015 · 70 posts · 39 votes
8y
We use Olde Towne plumbing all the time. They are fantastic. For excavation we use Citadel Excavation also in Ypsilanti. They were great and had great prices. I️ highly recommend both companies. You might get a better deal if you have the work done in the winter when they are not as busy.
See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Professional · Canton, MI · Member since 2016 · 296 posts · 230 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Benjamin T.:

    Hello - 

    I am a bit of a newbie here, I accidentally got into rental properties when I moved away from Ann Arbor and couldn't get the price I wanted for my house. It is now my only rental, but I'm interested in more.

    Anyway, the house has low water pressure and the tenants this year complained. The water works, it is just if the washer is filling up or something, the faucet will be very weak for those few minutes. Roto-Rooter says I have a galvanized water main line that needs replacing, and after checking with the city of Ann Arbor and reading city code I find that I am responsible for this even though it is before the meter.

    The first estimate to fix this came back around 7k. I am working on getting more, but have two questions:

    1. Does anyone have a good excavator recommendation in Ann Arbor?

    2. Am I obligated to fix this right now? Or at all? The water works and has always been low (even when I lived there), but these are the first tenants to complain. I want happy tenants, but these ones are likely gone come summer as it's a college rental. The next ones might not care at all. At the very least, it would be a lot easier to take care of after the holidays for both fiscal and travel reasons.

    Any insight at all is appreciated, thank you very much!

    The guy who did my inspection in Ann Arbor said Olde Town Plumbing in Ypsilanti is very reasonably priced and does a good job. I've never used them myself, though. 

    http://oldetowneplumbing.com.s59565.gridserver.com/services/

  • Rental Property Investor · Ypsilanti, MI · Member since 2015 · 70 posts · 39 votes
    8y
    We use Olde Towne plumbing all the time. They are fantastic. For excavation we use Citadel Excavation also in Ypsilanti. They were great and had great prices. I️ highly recommend both companies. You might get a better deal if you have the work done in the winter when they are not as busy.
  • Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2017 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    Thank you! @Lawrence Henkel III @Account Closed

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y
    We installed a booster pump where the water comes into the house for this issue. Basically they kept saying there was no leak you are just far from the road so we added the pump. About 3 years later the town agreed there was a leak and we did the replacement. Remember to remove the pump when you do the replacement of the line, I dont know what happened exactly but we knew the pressure had increased and it was too much for the pump.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.