Still green. Your best picks for tenant screening companies?

Still green. Your best picks for tenant screening companies?

Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 9 posts · 0 votes

Being new, I only used a screening company once - RentPrep and I wasn't thrilled with it.   Which do you use?  Someone once texted me a report that had the top cut off, so I couldn't see the company's name, but it was very detailed and even had recommendations, such as "with such credit history/score, we recommend 1.5 security deposit".   Would like to submit a prospective tenant's application tonight, so please help. :)

0Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Yorktown, VA · Member since 2017 · 21 posts · 2 votes
8y

I used RentPrep to screen several applicants and was very happy with the quick turnaround and the information provided.  RentPrep did not provide recommendations on what guidelines to follow when considering the applicant, but I believe those are best determined by the landlord or property manager.  Only the landlord or property manager knows how much risk they want to accept, the rental market in the local area, the appearance and behavior of the applicant, etc. Hope this helps.   

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    I forgot to mention - I emailed RentPrep in advance that I was suspicious that the previous landlord's info was fake and asked if they could verify ownership.  They said they would, but didn't.  Figured out it was indeed fake, but not thanks to them.  

    I'm in CA and the property is in GA - 3 hours difference, so by the time I submit the application tomorrow, it will be too late to get the response the same day - that's why I'm asking for help NOW. :)

  • Investor · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2016 · 74 posts · 29 votes
    8y
    Hey Sophia! Just wanted to double back on this. I know I spoke to you earlier in the week to clear some things up. Only thing I wanted to add here was the mention of a service making suggestions based on data in a report such as security deposit suggestions. I’d be hesitant with something like that because under the guidelines of the FCRA a Consumer Report Agency should only be providing the data and not their opinion of renting to someone or what security deposit to charge. It’s designed this way so we don’t steer your decision making based on our judgments. Best thing to do is to come up with a screening criteria for your rental and then compare your applicants report against that criteria you’ve created. If you want, feel free to message me for a sample criteria you can use for your rental in the future.
  • Yorktown, VA · Member since 2017 · 21 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    I used RentPrep to screen several applicants and was very happy with the quick turnaround and the information provided.  RentPrep did not provide recommendations on what guidelines to follow when considering the applicant, but I believe those are best determined by the landlord or property manager.  Only the landlord or property manager knows how much risk they want to accept, the rental market in the local area, the appearance and behavior of the applicant, etc. Hope this helps.   

  • Pottstown, PA · Member since 2017 · 79 posts · 31 votes
    8y

    BP has partnered with MySmartMove for tenant screening. If you go Pro there's a tools section with the tenant screening.

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    Eric, we never spoke. You emailed me and that was the extent of our "speaking". :)   Your company has live screeners, which was the reason I chose you.  But... the screeners only call landlords and work managers, which is great, unless landlords or managers are fake.   So to me, if there is no verification, it makes this part of the service obsolete.  I already uncovered one fake landlord and one fake manager from the two reports I ran with you, one fake per report.  Other than that part, which is very significant to me, the screening information you provide is thorough and I might use you again but I wish you did what I mentioned here.

    Elizabeth, thanks for the suggestion.

  • Investor · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2016 · 74 posts · 29 votes
    8y
    Andre B. Thanks for being a customer and you’re absolutely right. The criteria and selection process is unique to each property and landlord. Sophia L. You are correct I misspoke saying we spoke. We emailed and I believe you spoke with some of our Screeners. We will have Screeners in the office all weekend so give us a buzz if you have any other questions. If not have a good rest of your weekend.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.