Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Loc R.
  • Note Investor
  • Pasadena, CA
Votes |
Low Flow showerheads?

Loc R.
  • Note Investor
  • Pasadena, CA
Posted Apr 20 2010, 10:26

I just saw in a Home Depot flyer these $12 "low flow" showerheads which supposedly reduce water use by 36%.

Anyone have any experience with these? Thoughts?

36% is a lot to cut water usage by...

User Stats

Votes
Mark N.A
  • Real Estate Investor
  • North Carolina
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • North Carolina
Replied Apr 20 2010, 07:13

"Seinfeld" aired an amusing episode on this subject.

I rate the low flow showerheads about the same as the 'water saving' toilets one must flush multiple times to get results.

User Stats

Votes
Loc R.
  • Note Investor
  • Pasadena, CA
Votes |
  • Note Investor
  • Pasadena, CA
Replied Apr 20 2010, 07:15

So does that mean the user has to shower longer to get the same level of cleanliness? LOL.

Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 3.99% rates, 5% down loans, below market prices across the US! Txt REI to 33777

User Stats

Votes
Steve Babiak
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Replied Apr 20 2010, 07:18

I have some low-flow shower heads in my own house. Been a while since I installed them, but water usage did seem to drop afterward. They actually have a more forceful jet of water coming out too, which can take a little adjusting to get used to.

I wouldn't compare them to low-flush toilets, because the low-flush toilet does not have sufficient flow to remove the solids in stool; the shower is only rinsing soap - how much flow do you need for that?

User Stats

Votes
Frank Adams
  • Loveland, CO
Votes |
  • Loveland, CO
Replied Apr 20 2010, 08:45

NC Mark wrote; "Seinfeld" aired an amusing episode on this subject. I rate the low flow showerheads about the same as the 'water saving' toilets one must flush multiple times to get results"

Eighteen years ago when that show was popular the above statement may have been true. It hasn't been true for quite awhile now.

We have low flow heads on all our showers and friends from "water abundant" parts of the US can't tell any difference between ours and theirs. As for the toilets, I'd rate them as good, or better, than any I've used in my lifetime.

BTW, two people in our house and we've NEVER gone over 2,000 gallons per month. Our city bills in 1,000 gallon increments so we're using less than that.

Frank

Account Closed
  • OR
Votes |
  • OR
Replied Apr 20 2010, 09:01

Some of the new low flow shower heads are quite good.

I don't know what you are getting for $12. I usually pay between $20 and $30, but I have one on my own shower that is brilliant. It is about the size and shape of a thimble and when I bought the house, I thought there wasn't a shower head in the master bath because it is almost the same size and shape as the water pipe. There is no way that it was expensive, but it sure gives a great shower.

The one I usually buy looks an awful lot like a white plastic turnip.

The last low flow toilet I bought will suck you down, too, if you stand too close. I wish my vacuum cleaner worked as well.

The first low flow toilets were awful, and you can still buy a cheap low flow toilet that is worthless.