Walmart Paint in Rental? Color Place Country White

Walmart Paint in Rental? Color Place Country White

Rental Property Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2016 · 78 posts · 29 votes

Hi BP,

I just bought my first rental property (Duplex in a C+ area). $82k purchase price.

I'm going to be painting this Saturday and found Brandon's article about using Walmart's cheap paint; Color Place Country White.   https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2013/01/3...

As usual, Brandon nails it. I've used his guides, his forms, and implemented his advice with success so far... In his blog post he talks about the advantages of using all one color, all semi-gloss. For a C+ property, I think this approach makes perfect sense.

But here's where I'm getting hung up..  I look at the reviews online for Walmart Color Place paint and they're TERRIBLE. One person said the paint is like painting with 2% milk it's so runny!  Brandon wrote his blog post in  2013, is it possible that the paint quality has gotten worse over the years? 

At this point, I'm going to take Brandon's advice over all the bad reviews, but I was curious if anyone had more recent experience with Walmart Color Place. Did it coat and cover well? If so, did you prime first?

Thanks as always!

- Tom

1Reply
203 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
9y

@Tom Lipps Do you have Sherwin Williams stores near you? We do here in Connecticut so I am assuming you have them out your way in OH.

We use navajo white semi gloss on the walls and flat white on the trim. Very neutral colors and it is not cost prohibitive. Below is a picture from a flip we have under contract to be sold that should give you an idea of the color scheme.

See this reply in the discussion

35 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Englewood, CO · Member since 2015 · 158 posts · 140 votes
    9y

    Never used it.

    Are you brushing, rolling or spraying? What color are you covering? Do you like to paint?

    I really dislike painting and am not good at it. I use Sherwin Williams, whatever Tom* tells me to use. The less I have to paint the better. Cheap paint needs more coats. Some colors need three coats to cover regardless of the paint used.

    *Tom is the manager at my local SW store. He gives me the sale price, even when the sale is over. If you are going to own multiple properties, go to a real paint store and develop a relationship with them. Their advice can save you money.

  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    I'd not waste time with this cheep of paint. 

    I use Menards Conco Builder Brand,, I can get the antique white and looks good or do a custom color,, I but the 5 gallon pails for go around and then can always go back and know the same color comes in gallons for turns and touch ups if needed.. Coverage is great and wear is super,, 

    Sherwin Williams has a great builder brand also and the corporate complex I worked at had account with them good paint and they had delivery so we'd order up enough for our monthly turns.. I think it was called Super Pro  they offer different grades.. but our painter always had super results. 

  • Investor · Monroe, WI · Member since 2015 · 691 posts · 610 votes
    9y

    I use Glidden paint primer from Home Depot. I usually have to do two coats though but a gallon is only $20. I use Medici Grey color. It has been working very well, all units get the same color. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    @Tom Lipps Do you have Sherwin Williams stores near you? We do here in Connecticut so I am assuming you have them out your way in OH.

    We use navajo white semi gloss on the walls and flat white on the trim. Very neutral colors and it is not cost prohibitive. Below is a picture from a flip we have under contract to be sold that should give you an idea of the color scheme.

  • Developer · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 898 votes
    9y

    @Michael Noto Whats the thought process with using flat white on the trim?  Never heard that, most use semigloss or high gloss? 

    @Tom Lipps I agree with all others, dont use cheap paint.  It will haunt you until you repaint the whole place.  I have used some cheap contactor paint in the past, and regretted it.  As other say, cheap paint is too thin to cover in one coat, creating way too much extra labor.

  • Investor · Post Falls, ID · Member since 2016 · 606 posts · 699 votes
    9y

    Do not use cheap paint!  We go with Benjamin Moore, but that is the band our paint guy at a real paint store who knows his stuff, sells.  The time you save using a good quality paint, that will be washable and hold its color for touch ups down the road, is worth the extra cost.   Case in point -- I recently had to paint the ceilings in two rooms in our personal residence.  I used some left over BM ceiling paint from our apartments -- great coverage, no drips, etc.  I ran out of paint and, for convenience, bought a gallon of Behr ceiling paint at Home Depot.  The Behr was much harder to apply, left streaks, and dripped all over.  Never again.  It is the difference between true one coat coverage and two coats.  The price difference was about $10 a can.  Not worth it!

  • Rental Property Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2016 · 78 posts · 29 votes
    9y

    Thanks everyone for the great feedback!

    You are all saying what my initial thoughts were. Don't go cheap orI'll pay for it on the back end (with additional coats, harder touch ups, harder to clean, etc).

    I just keep referring back to Brandon's article though. He makes the point that no matter the quality of paint, he ends up using two coats (so no time saved there). He also mentions, for flips he uses high-quality paint.. but for lower-income rentals he uses the cheap Walmart brand. Brandon hasn't lead me wrong yet.

    @Deanna McCormick Thank you for the advice and the color recommendation. For the Antique White, would you paint everything the same color (walls, ceilings, trim) like Brandon does in his article?

  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Tom Lipps

    I paint ceilings brite white.. 

    Everything else trim and walls same paint color,, semigloss on trim / doors.  I never was one for flat paint I always did my rentals in satin or eggshell for wall finish,, and did semigloss in bathrooms and kitchens. 

    But our units had painted trim.. using same color makes it easy to do the walls if you get a paint on trim it's already same color.. so easy to touch up..and easy to touch up trim once walls were done. 

    What ever you choose keep all the rooms the same color is my best tip and paint All closets inside PLAIN WHITE  easy just to touch up the bottom couple of feet when they get marked up.

  • Rental Property Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2016 · 78 posts · 29 votes
    9y

    @Deanna McCormick Love the closet idea. Didn't even think about that! Thanks again for the advice!

  • Rental Property Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2016 · 78 posts · 29 votes
    9y

    @Michael Noto Hi Mike, we do have Sherwin Williams out here. Actually, there's one right down the street from the rental I just bought. I'm looking for a color that I can paint everything with (Wall, ceilings, and trims) and still look good.  Or at least paint the wall and trim the same color (and white ceilings).

  • Rental Property Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2016 · 78 posts · 29 votes
    9y

    @Eddie Memphis I'll be brushing and rolling. I've painted many times before, but only for family and for myself.

    In the past, when I've bought expensive paint I generally still had to do two coats. So even if cheap paint doesn't cover as well with the first coat, as long as the 2nd coat looks good; then that's what I'm after.

  • Rental Property Investor · Douglas County, MO · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    If you buy color place paint whoever actually does the painting will hate you. :-)

  • Mike WiesnerPro Member
    Investor · Trumbull, CT · Member since 2011 · 19 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    My only advice is when you decide on a paint, stick with it. If you purchase  Sherwin Williams and then switch to Benjamin Moore  (or switch from Navajo White to Antique White), you will likely have a tough time remembering which apartments you painted with which brand /color and it's a real hassle to touch ups. Consistency really helps efficiency! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2016 · 78 posts · 29 votes
    9y

    @Sylvia B.  lol  Well, my brothers and Dad are helping me so.... they CAN'T hate me...... right?   :-D 

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    9y

    @Tom Lipps don't use that horrible paint. The larger cost of painting is labor or your time if you are doing it yourself. I used to use cheap paint and here is what I learned:

    1. It is very messy due to being runny, so way more clean up. Potential to drip on woodwork or carpet.

    2. It takes two coats to cover versus a good paint is one coat.

    3. It is hard to clean. Try wiping down a wall of cheap paint versus good paint and it is a world of difference. If a tenant is there a year, you want to be able to wipe the wall down and avoid repainting.

    4. Touch up is way harder. A good paint can be touched up for years and it blends in. 

    I use Sherwin Williams low VOC paint. No toxic fumes when I paint. Goes on in one coat. I can clean the walls and touch up between tenants versus repainting.

    Trying to skimp on paint is being penny wise and pound foolish as the old saying goes. So many landlords opt for the cheapest materials and it just forces you to do things twice. Time is a way bigger expense, so do it right the first time.

  • Rental Property Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2016 · 78 posts · 29 votes
    9y

    @Joe Splitrock  Joe thank you so much for the detailed posted. Yours is the first that truly convinced me to not go cheap. I still want to do all semi-gloss and all (trims, ceilings, and walls) one color. For efficiency of labor, and for ease of future touch ups.

    Now I need to find a good quality paint that will work for my needs. Searching the BP forums, I found Sherwin Williams 200 series. I will either go with this, or your VOC paint recommendation.

    Also searching BP, I found these four suggested colors, that might work for my (paint it all the same color) plan:

    China White

    Simply White

    Creamy

    Moderate White

    I'm going to slap some of each on the walls tonight and see what my wife thinks!

    Thanks again!

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Tom Lipps:

    @Joe Splitrock  Joe thank you so much for the detailed posted. Yours is the first that truly convinced me to not go cheap. I still want to do all semi-gloss and all (trims, ceilings, and walls) one color. For efficiency of labor, and for ease of future touch ups.

    Now I need to find a good quality paint that will work for my needs. Searching the BP forums, I found Sherwin Williams 200 series. I will either go with this, or your VOC paint recommendation.

    Also searching BP, I found these four suggested colors, that might work for my (paint it all the same color) plan:

    China White

    Simply White

    Creamy

    Moderate White

    I'm going to slap some of each on the walls tonight and see what my wife thinks!

    Thanks again!

    I have tried different paints of theirs and settled on the Promar 200 which is zero VOC. I used to do white, but moved to a lighter tan because it won't show minor dirt. Lots of colors of white so I would just pick an off white of some type. 

    The semi-gloss is easiest to clean, but has a tendency to drip more while being applied. I personally use semi-gloss in bathrooms/kitchen and satin in living space. It is just my personal preference on the sheen. Higher sheen shows wall imperfections more because of light reflection.

    Another nice thing in my area Sherwin Williams will deliver to the job site for free. They also track the colors I used in their computer by property. I talked to the branch manager and setup a contractor account so I get the same discount every time I buy. You can call ahead and order your paint, then just stop and pick it up. They really make it easier versus going to Wally World.

  • Developer · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 898 votes
    9y

    @Tom Lipps I have been using HomeDepot Behr Premium Plus Paint and Primer for my rentals, and its works as good as others I have tried (including Valspar, PPG and Sherwin Williams).  In addition to liking the way the paint holds up, I also like that fact that its available at HD, as most paint stores are not open extended hours.  Since I work full time, I dont have time to got to the paint store in the middle of the day to get more paint.  

    I choose to paint all the walls in Eggshell, which allows for cleaning.  As others have stated, I try to use the same color on all my units (Navajo White #1822, its a nice offwhite/light tan for the walls, gloss white for the trim).  I have had NO issues with touch ups not blending in, even after several years.  Also the eggshell paint allows you to clean the walls (Mr. Clean magic erasers do a great job).   I use eggshell everywhere, including the bathroom and kitchen areas and have had no issues.

    I am not a fan of the trim and walls being the same color.

    Be careful of the use of flat white paint in the closets.  I used to do that to brighten to closets, but got tired of repainting closest after each tenant.  The flat paint shows all the scuff marks, and does not clean well. I now paint all closet walls the same color as the rest of the walls.

  • Rental Property Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2016 · 78 posts · 29 votes
    9y

    @Mike Wood Thanks Mike for the feedback. I was planning to paint the closets white... but given your feedback, I agree it make sense to paint the same color as the rest of the unit.

    For those following, I bought the the Pro Series 200 paint from Sherwin Williams (About $35/Gal) per @Joe Splitrock 's recommendation. I'm hopeful that it will coat with one layer, saving me labor and time.

    I went with a Semi-Gloss Creamy and plan to paint walls, ceilings, and trims with this (I think I will paint doors  solid white). Once it's all said and done I'll upload an image to this post so you can all see!

    Thanks as always for the support! Love BP!

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Mike Wood:

    @Tom Lipps I have been using HomeDepot Behr Premium Plus Paint and Primer for my rentals, and its works as good as others I have tried (including Valspar, PPG and Sherwin Williams).  In addition to liking the way the paint holds up, I also like that fact that its available at HD, as most paint stores are not open extended hours.  Since I work full time, I dont have time to got to the paint store in the middle of the day to get more paint.  

    I choose to paint all the walls in Eggshell, which allows for cleaning.  As others have stated, I try to use the same color on all my units (Navajo White #1822, its a nice offwhite/light tan for the walls, gloss white for the trim).  I have had NO issues with touch ups not blending in, even after several years.  Also the eggshell paint allows you to clean the walls (Mr. Clean magic erasers do a great job).   I use eggshell everywhere, including the bathroom and kitchen areas and have had no issues.

    I am not a fan of the trim and walls being the same color.

    Be careful of the use of flat white paint in the closets.  I used to do that to brighten to closets, but got tired of repainting closest after each tenant.  The flat paint shows all the scuff marks, and does not clean well. I now paint all closet walls the same color as the rest of the walls.

    Interesting comment on the closet color. I used to paint them room color but switched to white. The reason is in case I decide to change colors later in the room, the closet just stays white. I see the same scuffs in the closet. I often just leave them or paint just the back wall of the closet. 

  • Developer · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 898 votes
    9y

    @Joe Splitrock I used to use flat white ceiling paint in the closets. But the scuff marks dont clean off and drive me crazy, so I was ending up repainting closets after each tenant turnover.  Since changing to wall color, most of the marks clean off (likely cause I use eggshell paint) and those that dont can be easily touched up with the same paint.

  • Rental Property Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2016 · 78 posts · 29 votes
    9y

    Not great lighting, but here's the result! Note, I left the ceiling alone. It was painted a solid white, and it was still clean enough that I didn't have to paint it. Everything else is Sherwin Williams Creamy.

  • Rental Property Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2016 · 78 posts · 29 votes
    8y

    Hi BP!,

    I took better pictures yesterday with my DSLR camera and in the daylight. Here's the living room. The door, trim, and walls are all the same color... but notice that all look different? Maybe it's in my head, maybe it's how the light plays off them, but I'm still so grateful for BP (specifically  @Brandon Turner) for the idea to paint all one color.

  • Deland, FL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Mike Wood:

    @Michael Noto Whats the thought process with using flat white on the trim?  Never heard that, most use semigloss or high gloss? 

    @Tom Lipps I agree with all others, dont use cheap paint.  It will haunt you until you repaint the whole place.  I have used some cheap contactor paint in the past, and regretted it.  As other say, cheap paint is too thin to cover in one coat, creating way too much extra labor.

     Agreed never heard of flat on trim

    Have always used eggshell or flat on walls and high gloss on trim

    Have I been doing it wrong?

  • Deland, FL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Joe Splitrock:

    @Tom Lipps don't use that horrible paint. The larger cost of painting is labor or your time if you are doing it yourself. I used to use cheap paint and here is what I learned:

    1. It is very messy due to being runny, so way more clean up. Potential to drip on woodwork or carpet.

    2. It takes two coats to cover versus a good paint is one coat.

    3. It is hard to clean. Try wiping down a wall of cheap paint versus good paint and it is a world of difference. If a tenant is there a year, you want to be able to wipe the wall down and avoid repainting.

    4. Touch up is way harder. A good paint can be touched up for years and it blends in. 

    I use Sherwin Williams low VOC paint. No toxic fumes when I paint. Goes on in one coat. I can clean the walls and touch up between tenants versus repainting.

    Trying to skimp on paint is being penny wise and pound foolish as the old saying goes. So many landlords opt for the cheapest materials and it just forces you to do things twice. Time is a way bigger expense, so do it right the first time.

     How many times did you use color place paint?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.