Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Mark Campbell
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
Tenant Wants to Move In Before Lease Start Date

Mark Campbell
  • Atlanta, GA
Posted

Hello, everyone I am a new landlord and encountering my first issue.  Soon I'll be moving out of the first house I purchased and I'm converting it to a rental property.  I signed a lease with a tenant and they will move in several days after I move out.  The lease start date is October 1 (a Sunday) and I cancelled all my utilities on September 29th (Friday) since it has to be on a weekday.  

The tenant signed up all utilities to start September 29th and now wants to move in on that day.  I initially told him no the lease starts on October 1.  He contends that he is a great tenant (his background verifies that) and he is paying utilities that day so he thought he could move in. I mentioned that I am concerned about it because I won't have liability insurance until October 1.  He then says I am starting this off as a contentious relationship.  He cited that when we negotiated the lease I was difficult then too.  I actually gave him several exceptions to the boiler plate language that is standard here and 99% of landlords and property management companies will not negotiate.  I told him I felt I was very reasonable and I gave him several exceptions that most people would never consider.  

To be reasonable I said I would talk to my insurance company and see what they said.  To be legit I think I have to change the lease and the start date of my insurance to match September 29th.  I want to tell him the lease is October 1 and you can move in October 1 or it's trespassing.  It is slightly complicated because we are moving a small distance away and I can't think of a good way to give him the keys October 1.  

Am I being a difficult landlord by insisting he not move in early?

Do some tenants just want to negotiate and argue everything? 

Loading replies...