Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Don Jackson
  • Software Dev/Investor
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
Tenant disputes move out charges

Don Jackson
  • Software Dev/Investor
  • San Jose, CA
Posted

This is a first for me. I hope some of my more seasoned BP friends can shed some light.

My SFR is managed by a property manager. The tenant recently moved out. They had $1,050 on deposit.

The property manager did an inspection and then prepared a letter to the tenant detailing all of the charges to be taken out of their deposit. The charges were more than their deposit so they were sent a bill.

I received a letter from an attorney demanding that the entire amount be returned to the ex-tenant. He threatened a lawsuit.

When I look through the list of charges, I am a little disturbed.

$100 to replace the furnace filters

$200 for gutter cleaning

$150 to change the locks

$50 Move out inspection fee

$200 Cleaning fee

$150 Floor cleaning

The list goes on. One large amount is for an unpaid water bill. I understand the tenant needs to pay for that, but I'm not sure if the tenant should have to pay for all of these other fees.

I understand that if the tenant doesn't pay out of their deposit, then I have to pay these fees.

I have two questions:

1) Is it standard for a property manager to charge all of these fees upon move out? Should I try to negotiate some of these fees with them? If they don't charge the tenant, then I end up paying for them.

2) How should I approach the ex-tenant? I thought I could write them a letter saying that I will split some of the costs with them and give them part of their deposit back. (the attorney stated in his letter that I should reply directly to the tenant and not go through the attorney) 

My goal is to avoid a lawsuit, but I don't want to just roll over and pay all of these fees myself.

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Loading replies...